Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

I've been to the Bonefish Grill in Tulsa; it is actually in Broken Arrow, on the border of Broken Arrow/Tulsa. Bonefish is owned by the same company that owns Outback Steakhouse. I found the quality of the food there to be very good and better than other seafood restaurants, e.g. Pearls on Classen. I am looking forward to what Good Egg puts out because even if I disagree with one of their concepts, their quality is always excellent no matter what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Go to VAST and order up the scallops...... your opinion might just change. They have other seafood other than the scallops, that's just what i had.
    It's just his MO. Everywhere in the midwest other than OKC is better at everything, and OKC is such a drag, blah blah blah Wal-Mart blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    It's just his MO. Everywhere in the midwest other than OKC is better at everything, and OKC is such a drag, blah blah blah Wal-Mart blah blah blah
    I'm glad you posted this, Brad. Every time I read ANY of his posts, I want to say the exact same thing. Why stay here if it's so bad.

I mean Wichita? Seriously? I spend a lot of time there. There is hardly anything better there than there is here (the exception being the hotel connected to Century 2).

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    I mean Wichita? Seriously? I spend a lot of time there. There is hardly anything better there than there is here (the exception being the hotel connected to Century 2).
    Come on. Just because Wichita has one or two restaurants in a cuisine OKC is lacking doesn't mean its a better city or everything is better there. I never have said anything of the sort. I was in Wichita last weekend as a matter of fact and I found the place extremely underwhelming overall.

6. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

The fact that we're sitting here arguing which city has a better chain seafood restaurant only makes it clear that neither city has great seafood right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Come on. Just because Wichita has one or two restaurants in a cuisine OKC is lacking doesn't mean its a better city or everything is better there. I never have said anything of the sort. I was in Wichita last weekend as a matter of fact and I found the place extremely underwhelming overall.
    I think pahdz was lamenting over the general tone of most of your posts about OKC. You, seemingly, love to point out what OKC is lacking and the fact that we aren't quite 'Big League' yet. Just my take on the situation, but I'd have to agree with him.

Anyone remember Boca Boca? Their seafood specials were legit and it was done in OKC. So, it's possible, but maybe their closing means it's not feasible here? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Name them. I bet they are Lebanese. I'll give them that, they have a huge Lebanese population.

Bonefish Grill is meh, as far as I'm concerned. I'm delighted this new restaurant will be local.

I spent years eating seafood in S. Carolina and what they have is fresh - something impossible to achieve here. Doesn't mean it can't be good, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    This is great news. Although I'm skeptical anybody can do great seafood so far from the sea but if anybody can I'm sure it's them.

Another kudos for okctalk.
    There are many good seafood restaurants that are inland. They just have to fly in the fresh stuff. I've always liked Deep Fork and Sushi Neko for pretty good seafood in OKC.

Blog Entries

Deep fork and Sushi are not seafood restaurants. It seems people here confuse restaurants that offer a fish entree with seafood restaurants. Not surprising, since most here haven't experienced real seafood restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Deep fork and Sushi are not seafood restaurants. It seems people here confuse restaurants that offer a fish entree with seafood restaurants. Not surprising, since most here haven't experienced real seafood restaurants.
    OKC does have some pretty good sushi though I will have to say. Tokyo Japanese Restaurant is very close to the quality you find on the east coast.

14. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

After my experience with seafood restaurants in Houston, I have to say Oklahoma City's seafood deserves more credit.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I don't believe it was said that Deep Fork and Sushi are seafood restaurants. BG918 said he or she liked their seafood.
    My uncle and aunt owned, at one time, a seafood restaurant on Redondo Beach Pier so I have certainly experienced that. They have even brought fresh seafood with them back to Oklahoma to prepare for the family.

Very excited about this. Fresh seafood is a huge reason I don't like not being near the ocean. If anything, this is overdue.

Heard about this venture over the 4th of July, glad its moving ahead. I hear the next venture down the road for GEG is an authentic Italian place. Cant wait, tired of only being able to order good seafood at Rococo.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Heard about this venture over the 4th of July, glad its moving ahead. I hear the next venture down the road for GEG is an authentic Italian place. Cant wait, tired of only being able to order good seafood at Rococo.
    What good seafood does Rococo have?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I'm a crab cake aficionado and I think the ones at Rococco are really quite good for non-Maryland ones.

Quote Originally Posted by icecold View Post
    Italian food is my favorite cuisine so I will definitely be looking forward to that. Out of curiosity though, how does the Italian food in OKC stack up and what are the best restaurants? Since I've been here I usually go to Zio's which I like pretty well.

Best Italian I've had here is the place adjacent to Sean Cummings Irish Pub, Vito's

True, but what seafood they have (which is a large part of their menus) is pretty good for an inland city 500 miles from the ocean. Are there any non-chain, purely seafood restaurants in OKC? Pearl's? Bodean's in Tulsa has good seafood that they fly in daily and a great market too.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    True, but what seafood they have (which is a large part of their menus) is pretty good for an inland city 500 miles from the ocean. Are there any non-chain, purely seafood restaurants in OKC? Pearl's? Bodean's in Tulsa has good seafood that they fly in daily and a great market too.
    OKC is currently lacking a good non-chain, purely seafood restaurant. I think there used to be one but it closed. It's even currently lacking a decent chain (I don't consider Red Lobster decent but there are others that are). The seafood restaurants that are here are of the cajun/fried variety. Hopefully this new restaurant fills this niche well and is not another southern fried catfish restaurant because thats not what OKC needs.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    As betts mentioned, the crab cake is really good. Also like the clams in linguine, fish and chips, salmon....havent tried them all, but almost every seafood dish i have had there has been very good.

25. Default Re: Good Egg Group to open new seafood restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The answer is no. There are zero high-quality, dedicated, local, seafood-only options in OKC. That is why this new concept is so needed (and exciting).

Also, when discussing the few decent seafood options here until this place opens, as I have mentioned Mickey Mantle's is one. I doubt that there are too many similarities between its menu and what GEG plans to bring to the table, but if you're jonesing for seafood while waiting on the new place to open, remember to check out the seafood menu at Mickey's. I know that they also fly fish in daily.

Thread Information