Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: The Drake

It's still a very cool restaurant though. And way above the bar for OKC. I had lunch at the oysterette last week and had a really good time, ate way too many oysters as the counter server gave me an edjucation on the sublties.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If I could change anything about this place it would be the environment. It's simply too noisy for what is supposed to be a fine dining experience....
    Interestingly, we had no noise issues on NYE - got there at 6:00, left about 7:40, were at a round table next to the front windows, 2 of us, I've got some measure of tinnitus (from concerts, standing next to the stacks for decades without earplugs (young and stupid)), and I can't hear conversations very well when there's lots of background noise, but had no problem hearing my wife, the server, the mgr, and even the folks at the next table.

They are working on a plan to reduce the noise.

I'll just say that when I went I didn't notice the noise issue, but I'm rather oblivious to things like that. Our group loved everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are working on a plan to reduce the noise.
    Good deal. Like several others have said, I went with a group of four about a month ago and a few of us were literally hoarse when we left from trying to talk over the noise. Again that's not to take away from the quality of the food or the restaurant. We all loved it and won't hesitate to go back.

Going to be in OKC in April for my 30th birthday....I am just thinking ahead to places that I might want to go. Would this be a good place for a group of, say, 15-20 people??

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Going to be in OKC in April for my 30th birthday....I am just thinking ahead to places that I might want to go. Would this be a good place for a group of, say, 15-20 people??

I have no idea on what they are capable of but 15-20 people at the Drake seems like it would be a nightmare to me.

With 15-20 people I would probably lean more towards somewhere like Fassler Hall.

Blue garten would be fun as well if the weather is nice

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Pizzeria Gusto could easily accommodate your group and it's has one of the best settings and atmosphere in all of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pizzeria Gusto could easily accommodate your group and it's has one of the best settings and atmosphere in all of OKC.
    Yes, this, totally! While we were walking to The Drake from our car, wife said "we could just go to Gusto instead", lol...

12. Default Re: The Drake

Back to DC sooner, I do have a comment. I don't think Drake should waste time or paper explaining what the fish is (as you recommended). OKC may be landlocked but that doesn't mean the residents are, im pretty sure most clients of Drake have traveled and have had seafood in a non-landlocked city. Perhaps your point was to educate the citizenry on fish, but I think that training should go to the waitstaff as it should be part of the experience having waiters explain in detail the food being served. ...

Maybe I could agree with you if you're thinking of a menu ala Bonefish that sort of educates on the different types of fish and associated experiences, but I recall that was a very small section or sentence for each item - again, something the wait staff should be able to pimp which adds to the experience (and their earnings).

Just like here in Seattle, we don't go into detail on beef or staples of Oklahoma even though we don't specialize in it like they do in Oklahoma. We have waitstaff who knows their stuff (and that restaurant survives as long as the food is also palatable) or dont (and that restaurant fails).

I could agree with your other suggestion, I think it would be weird to have the side served separate from the entree so if that really was the case then it needs to be corrected - serve the darn side items with the entree. .. But, could it be that the waiter made a mistake and assumed you wanted your asparagus as a starter? However illogical that may be, I think it has to be the only explanation of your receiving a side item before the entree. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I could agree with your other suggestion, I think it would be weird to have the side served separate from the entree so if that really was the case then it needs to be corrected - serve the darn side items with the entree. .. But, could it be that the waiter made a mistake and assumed you wanted your asparagus as a starter? However illogical that may be, I think it has to be the only explanation of your receiving a side item before the entree. ...
    No mistake by the waiter, that's the way The Drake does things, it's explained on the menu and by the server - things come out when they're ready.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    No mistake by the waiter, that's the way The Drake does things, it's explained on the menu and by the server - things come out when they're ready.
    So is it possible to ask that the items be started in the kitchen so that they are ready at approximately the same time?

15. Default Re: The Drake

not doubting you lj, but can someone else confirm this was also their experience?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

16. Default Re: The Drake

^^^^^^
    It is absolutely The Drake's practice to serve sides and various entrees as they are completed by the kitchen rather than to hold an item or to time everything together. It's purposeful; not an accident. They are very up-front about this.

Can anybody who has dined there either confirm or dispel that Drake does not customarily serve bread or rolls with entrees?

18. Default Re: The Drake

"Does not customarily serve bread" is accurate. I have seen someone request and receive bread, however. I think the bread may have been the brioche that they use for their chicken sandwich. It's just not a bread sort of place. Nothing wrong with that.

19. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    It is absolutely The Drake's practice to serve sides and various entrees as they are completed by the kitchen rather than to hold an item or to time everything together. It's purposeful; not an accident. They are very up-front about this.
    My biggest issue with this is that I've never known it to be a problem at any other restaurant I eat at.... Everywhere else I get the sides and entree together and all seem to be cooked well and the temps are fine. I've eaten at the Drake now several times and often I find people I'm with letting their sides sit on the table (getting cold) as they wait for their entree - because, they enjoy the paring of the sides to entree and want to enjoy them together.

Good Morning everyone...just wanted to chime in here regarding The Drake. Hopefully I can help answer some of these unknowns.
    1. We encourage sharing, however, if you don't feel like sharing, please let your server know. We will accommodate!
    2. The ordering process is one that items arrive at your table as they are ready. We do serve oysters and raw items first, then cold, then hot. This is a new change and has had an overwhelmingly positive response.
    3. We DO serve bread on request. This does not mean you can order a basket of rolls/bread, but you can get bread with your linguini/clams or Lobster bisque. Just ask!
    4. The restaurant is loud and we are fixing that...I promise! Work is scheduled to start early February.
    5. Bottom line...if you are unhappy or uncomfortable with something we are doing, please let us know. We WILL accommodate, You have my word! We want to make it easy for you to dine with us, but we also think it's fun to try different things such as cuisine, service styles.

Who wants Brunch?? Seriously considering adding to Saturday and Sundays at The Drake!

Thanks for helping us have a fantastic opening!

21. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Good Morning everyone...just wanted to chime in here regarding The Drake. Hopefully I can help answer some of these unknowns.
    1. We encourage sharing, however, if you don't feel like sharing, please let your server know. We will accommodate!
    2. The ordering process is one that items arrive at your table as they are ready. We do serve oysters and raw items first, then cold, then hot. This is a new change and has had an overwhelmingly positive response.
    3. We DO serve bread on request. This does not mean you can order a basket of rolls/bread, but you can get bread with your linguini/clams or Lobster bisque. Just ask!
    4. The restaurant is loud and we are fixing that...I promise! Work is scheduled to start early February.
    5. Bottom line...if you are unhappy or uncomfortable with something we are doing, please let us know. We WILL accommodate, You have my word! We want to make it easy for you to dine with us, but we also think it's fun to try different things such as cuisine, service styles.

Who wants Brunch?? Seriously considering adding to Saturday and Sundays at The Drake!

Thanks for helping us have a fantastic opening!
    This is one reason the Good Egg Group is so successful. We don't all have to love their restaurants, but they are willing to listen and take criticisms to heart. So many other restaurant owners/managers get so offended by criticism they literally never have a clue as to why they failed.

Tuck,

Please bring back the clam chowder! TIA. Also, if we are so lucky as to have it back on the menu, please serve it in an actual bowl, as opposed to the strange, shallow bowl-like dish it was formerly served in; it makes it difficult to eat, and it gets cold very quickly.

Thanks!

^^^ Yes, this would be good, along with the huckleberry cocktail - we were disappointed neither of those were on the menu.

25. Default Re: The Drake

I got an email today that, after much feedback, the Drake will be switching from the family-style, served as ready approach, to a more traditional coursed service as of today. The menu online looks to reflect the change. I think this update will be great, as their first approach was the main complaint I heard.

http://thedrakeokc.com/menus/

Thread Information