Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: The Drake

The stuff I mentioned is suspended over large areas in whiskey cake. Just remembered. It really makes a difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	11787

Finally had a chance to eat here today...

Had the special, which was grilled shrimp over arugula and fried polenta with vegetables and a light tomato sauce. Fantastic.

The boyfriend and I ate here a few weeks ago for his birthday... I can definitely agree with all of the comments about the volume of the noise. It is almost uncomfortably loud when the place is busy. Despite that, we greatly enjoyed our dinner; We shared a dozen oysters, lobster bisque, fish tacos, linguini and clams, and the seafood paella. This place is definitely all about quality over quantity. Everything we tried was simply fantastic, even if the portions were smaller than we would have liked - especially considering how very expensive our meal was. All in all, though, it was a special occasion and the Drake totally lived up to the hype for us. We'll be back when our budget allows.

hMy wife and I are visiting from North Carolina and decided to try some of the new dining options in OKC. We dined at the Drake this evening prior to attending the Thunder game.

Observations are:
    Great location
    Much needed seafood option

Some suggestions:
    Change the concept of serving items (appetizer or entrée) separately vice together (entrée items).
    Our entrée was fish and side order was grilled asparagus, asparagus came first.
    Because Oklahoma is landlocked and many of the items are "new" to this market include a description of the entrée e.g type of fish or other seafood, where caught East/West/Gulf Coast. Texture of entrée e.g meaty, flaky etc.
    Description on Menu of concept ie shared entrees that are served as prepared rather that together.
    Our appetizer of grilled oysters were good however, small and too few for two people
    Menu is limited -consider expanding to a few additional options for main dish

My wife and I are doubtful of the potential success of the current concept in OKC but hopefully we are proven wrong. We rate the Drake a C.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    hMy wife and I are visiting from North Carolina and decided to try some of the new dining options in OKC. We dined at the Drake this evening prior to attending the Thunder game.

Observations are:
    Great location

Some suggestions:
    Change the concept of serving items (appetizer or entrée) separately vice together (entrée items).
    Because Oklahoma is landlocked and many of the items are "new" to this market include a description of the entrée e.g type of fish or other seafood, where caught East/West/Gulf Coast. Texture of entrée e.g meaty, flaky etc.
    Description on Menu of concept ie shared entrees that are served as prepared rather that together.
    Our appetizer of grilled oysters were good however, small and too few for two people

My wife and I are doubtful of the potential success of the current concept in OKC but hopefully we are proven wrong. We rate the Drake a C.
    Why are we not surprised?

Observations are:
    Great location

Some suggestions:

Lol, good thing all your previous posts have rendered your opinions valueless.

A "C"!!?! Hahahahaha!!!

lol

^

Opinions on restaurants couldn't be more wildly subjective but there is simply no way to doubt the future success of The Drake, regardless of how any one person may feel about it.

In fact, all indications are that it's likely to be one of the most successful restaurants in town for a long time.

11. Default Re: The Drake

Fair enough to say that the food didn't meet your expectations or whatever other criticism someone might have, but the comment regarding the outlook for the place at best demonstrates an ignorance of the market and how it has embraced The Drake, and at worst demonstrates an agenda. I'm guessing the latter, since it read to me more like a slam on OKC than it did the restaurant itself. No big surprise there. For the record, The Drake is absolutely SLAMMED seven nights a week, and has been since the doors opened.

I would rate the Drake a solid A-. It's one of the best meals I've had in OKC actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Opinions on restaurants couldn't be more wildly subjective but there is simply no way to doubt the future success of The Drake, regardless of how any one person may feel about it.

In fact, all indications are that it's likely to be one of the most successful restaurants in town for a long time.
    Did you factor the cultural inferiority of Oklahomans into your analysis?

14. Default Re: The Drake

Lol

2Lanez Guest

Meh. dcsooner isn't that far off. I need to give it another shot, but I was unimpressed with my first visit. Great addition to the neighborhood, beautiful space, but it certainly was not exceptional. B- or C+. And I've heard more reviews like mine than like what's posted above.

You have to grade OKC seafood on a curve. If you go in expecting K Paul's in NOLA of course it's going to be a C. The limited menu is smart. Too many items leads too big prices, or a cut in quality. Do 5-10 things but do them great.

I wasn't extremely impressed with it, but it was pretty good overall. I'm a picky eater and just went with the catfish, so I really can't say much. Amazing vibe and feel though!

With all the vitriol coming as a result of my grade, would anyone care to comment on the suggestions made? thanks for your feedback, not butt hurt at all

To each his own but my wife and I thought the Drake was one of the best dining experiences we've had in OKC. I honestly wouldn't change much. Everyone I know who has been has been super impressed.

Whether you loved it like we did or thought it was simply meh I have no idea how anyone could doubt the success of the place or its long-term outlook. I live nearby and I've never drove by and not seen it packed with people. Not liking it is one thing (and completely subjective). Doubting its success has almost zero basis in any thing I've ever seen.

With all the vitriol coming as a result of my grade, would anyone care to comment on the suggestions made? thanks for your feedback, not butt hurt at all
    You realize that no one has a problem with your differing opinion on quality of the food and/or service from The Drake, right? People have a problem with your comically condescending and negative posts. You've lost lost a lot of credibility. If you still don't understand then go back and read the second-to-last sentence of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Did you factor the cultural inferiority of Oklahomans into your analysis?
    like -- +1 -- whatever
    (220, 221, whatever it takes)

22. Default Re: The Drake

Pretty sure the vitriol didn't come from the review of the place itself but instead from the derisive condescension we all read into this one commment:

My wife and I are doubtful of the potential success of the current concept in OKC but hopefully we are proven wrong.
    The "in OKC" qualifier made it read like - even thought it actually isn't that great (so says you) - this concept might work in other cities, but was a little bit much for us Okies. Perhaps we were all wrong about what you meant..?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Pretty sure the vitriol didn't come from the review of the place itself but instead from the derisive condescension we all read into this one commment:

The "in OKC" qualifier made it read like - even thought it actually isn't that great (so says you) - this concept might work in other cities, but was a little bit much for us Okies. Perhaps we were all wrong about what you meant..?
    Eh maybe, if he REALLY wanted to be condescending this what he should have said.

Limited menu, food is just ok, plates are too small, and the "new" food that isn't really anything innovative, concept will only work in OKC. Any other city would know better and they would be out of business. Good for you OKC, got a place that would pass as average or below in other cities.

If I could change anything about this place it would be the environment. It's simply too noisy for what is supposed to be a fine dining experience. In terms of the food, it's excellent. I hope its success paves the way for other seafood establishments in OKC because this proves that seafood does sell here. McCormick and Schmicks in Bricktown would be awesome.

I've always commented on the noise. I had a date there a couple weeks ago. Late dinner. Single glass of wine. So we just ordered 2 halibuts and a brussel sprout. Like AP mentioned: our veggie came out a solid 10 minutes before the protein. We just plain didn't want to eat it first so we had cold sprouts. Our waitresses mentioned (as they always do before the meal) again the way it comes out of the kitchen. Didn't care. It works better with a 4-6 person table that's for sure. Which makes the noise an issue all over again, impossible to talk across the big table. I've yet to sit in one of the cylindrical booths however, maybe that helps.

Thread Information