Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drake

Default Re: The Drake

I haven't seen any Banh Mi on the menu... was this a special or something on a "lunch menu" ? Can someone put their lunch menu online ?

2. Default Re: The Drake

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I haven't seen any Banh Mi on the menu... was this a special or something on a "lunch menu" ? Can someone put their lunch menu online ?
    It's under Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    There is only one menu. The Banh Mi is under the "Ocean" section.

Could have been a bad oyster. If one cracked in the sack and it died a week ago. It's going to smell awful. The shucker usually spots them and tosses them without anyone even noticing. Odds are this dude had only been shucking for a few days and didn't know any better.

Had an excellent early dinner at the Drake last night. My overwhelming feeling on leaving was wow, I can't believe that this restaurant is right here on 23rd Street. Most importantly, I came to dinner in a very bad mood and left very happy, and that might be the best test of a restaurant.

Some specifics:

Decor. Interesting. Different from anything else in the metro. Not polished, but in a good way, albeit somewhat of a non sequitur. It's not a beach place, nor a clam shack, nor a glitzy boardwalk location, but there are elements of all in the decor. I think it works, but again, a bit of a non sequitur. There was even a little bit of run down Atlantic City in the decor choice, particularly over the bar. I will say that the TV screens looked really out of place. I can come down on both sides of the TV debate, but the placement of the screens looked like an afterthought and did not make a whole lot of sense.

Service. Excellent. Welcoming, even doting. For a restaurant so young, I was blown away. This speaks to the quality of the management. The kitchen ready concept worked for me. It fits with the decor. Just go in, have fun, let the staff take care of you, and let yourself smile.

Food. I am from eastern Massachusetts and I know seafood. Quality was spot on. Preparation was inventive. The clam chowder was quite good, with a few twists from the traditional New England style. The asparagus may have been the star, grilled perfectly so the ends almost tasted like popcorn and drizzled with what I actually (somewhat embarrassingly, in retrospect) told the server I thought was an umami orgasm. The scallops were well cooked, which is not generally the case in most restaurant settings. The BLT salad was good enough that my dining partner said she would be coming back just for that salad -- the bacon really was out of this world. The surprise of the night was the skirt steak. Another umami bomb with just the right acidity was provided by the Worcestershire butter, and it perfectly offset the richness of the waygu skirt. My avowed fish eating companion managed to steal more than half of my steak! We had the lemon pie, which was excellent, and the chocolate hush puppies, which were creative and inventive and not at all what I expected. I'd take some of those any time of day -- not at all too sweet or rich. The shot of milk on the side was more evidence of the thought that went into this menu design,

Drinks: the bar is putting out some interesting drinks. My rum runner was the best of the night. The Drake Cod was smooth enough to be dangerous, but was on the sweet side. Not in a bad way, but in a wow this could be dangerous way. The tequila spritz might not have worked as well, but was interesting nonetheless. The drink menu fits with the decor and service (see above)

Overall, the Drake isn't about perfection. It's about making you forget your day and leave with a smile. The decor, the drinks, the little flavor bombs hidden in the dishes, and the high quality service all worked together to make that sounds good but tough to achieve concept really work.

For a special night out of my choice, it will still be Red Prime for me, but I'm a meat person and I like dark restaurants. That said, the Drake might be first on my list for where I'd take my brother and sister in law when the visit from out of town. That I'd be willing to take an oyster snob who lives two blocks from the water in Massachusetts to a seafood restaurant in Oklahoma should say something about the faith I put in this kitchen. In a lot of ways (and this is strange, given that it is a seafood restaurant), the Drake really symbolizes where OKC is right now, and it's owners should be proud.

Blog Entries

^Good info...headed there in a bit. Looking forward to it based on your good review!

Blog Entries

Went tonight....wow! Great place for OKC. Knew it would be fun and good food but exceeded my expectations on all fronts. Had several of the items mentioned above...tack on the Lobster Roll....very good.

By the way, the clothing store next door (to north) is nice as well.

I'm still not quite sure how their family style system works for either a single or a couple dining alone. Do they have options for that?

Blog Entries

We had party of 3 ..ordered one salad and one soup and split those. Ordered two entrees (Lobster Roll and Seafood Payeau - which says its for 2) and side of Asparagus - split all that. Also had some oysters, split a desert plus drinks. $130.

There were a lot of couples eating and splitting things. It works in my view but i understand what you are saying. My wife LOVES to share so she was in heaven..haha.

Really? So if you have a salad or soup you split It? That just sounds strange. It seems that it would be much more logical to have options for either single or communal dishes. Having only communal dishes just seems like a way to get people to spend more money when everyone might not like the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Really? So if you have a salad or soup you split It? That just sounds strange. It seems that it would be much more logical to have options for either single or communal dishes. Having only communal dishes just seems like a way to get people to spend more money when everyone might not like the same thing.
    Portions are actually slightly on the small side and you will have room for dessert easily, so if you go as a single you will not over-order. That said, if your party is beyond three, you will be left on the short side if you really wanted to savor your selection. Between the opening of 324 and The Drake, it seems (to their credit) that AGE group is searching for ways to change the dining experience in OKC. Give it six months to see how they react to customer response.

In my opinion, it was very creative and respected seafood traditions from which it was drawn very nicely. I liked it a lot. I just won't be able to eat there often because the menu builds a check to above $75 quickly. Meanwhile, Viceroy has Naked Cowboy Oysters for $2.00.

12. Default Re: The Drake

Keep in mind, the entrees (only one size option) are on par with a modest to average serving at a non-sharing establishment. The size of the portion isn't what qualifies it as 'sharing' IMO - its the fact they simply encourage you to share - and the fact the serving of the entrees is staggered upon readiness. My wife and many of our friends share anyway - regardless of how the establishment is marketed.

I've been to some great sharing/communal restaurants in NYC and Chicago. You'd sit at long tables and several parties and singles would all be put together. Everyone would order and the food was actually served 'super sized' so 4-8 people could get a good sampling. It really encouraged lots of conversation and laughter and good times. We like The Drake, I just personally don't consider it a "sharing restaurant." Its just a restaurant that suggests you share IMO. But, that doesn't make it any less tasty.

13. Default Re: The Drake

It's very easy to eat as an individual. I did so at the bar; the portions are perfect and (with drinks) I got out for around $50-$60 with no holding back. Salad, oysters, entree, drinks.

Regarding the sharing, I agree that it is suggested more than dictated. This could be in part due to the way things come out. Since they come out in no particular order, as they are ready, if you weren't sharing there would often be times when one person is eating and nobody else is. I suspect the sharing concept is designed in part to avoid this awkwardness. But it also fosters a closeness between diners at a table and a shared experience that is really nice. I'd encourage going with the flow.

There are certain items where if at a table of more than two people you should definitely order multiple portions of the same thing if you want more than a taste. Your server can help you figure out which items that applies to. There are others - such as the grilled lobster and ESPECIALLY the (incredible) paella pan - that pretty much require sharing. We commented that two couples could share the paella plus a salad or two and maybe some oysters and probably get out for less than $30 each and be full as hell.

Thanks to everyone for visiting The Drake and commenting here. At The Drake, we encourage sharing for groups of 2 or more. Obviously, a single diner shouldn't and doesn't feel left out. A single diner can order just as they would at most other restaurants...a sandwich and a side dish, grilled scallops (served with a simple salad), grilled calamari and add 1-2 fresh oysters.

All portions are the same size as our other restaurants in general. If the portions were huge, then, yes, a single diner would have a difficult time dining with us. The last thing we want to do is drive check average; it's no where near $75. Our servers are trained to guide you through the menu and NEVER promote over-ordering.

I like what Bates said, sharing is about conversation, laughter, and good times. That's exactly what we are wanting to promote. Thanks for your wonderful support!

15. Default Re: The Drake

^^^^^^
    Wait, was I inky supposed to order two oysters on my solo trip?

I ordered six, and was tempted to double up...

16. Default Re: The Drake

My wife and I stopped by yesterday afternoon during the Uptown 23rd Farmers Market. We sat at the bar and tried several different oysters as well as the scallop ceviche. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. I am looking forward to trying more!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0734.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	11403 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0736.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	633.8 KB 
ID:	11404 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	519.3 KB 
ID:	11405 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0739.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	421.1 KB 
ID:	11406

It sounds like Dave Cathey is a fan.

Is The Drake the Goodest Egg So Far? | NewsOK.com

With the opening of The Drake Seafood and Oysterette, Keith and Heather Paul’s mastery of the restaurant business has become conspicuous.

The Pauls have a pretty simple approach, research heavily, hire the best people and let them execute. The good news for them is, they are two of the best at what they do, too. With the collection of culinary and operations talent they've accumulated, it really does make failing difficult. But it takes a lot of work and attention to detail to create something that raises the bar, and that's what A Good Egg Dining has done with The Drake.

18. Default Re: The Drake

Went again last night with the wife for her birthday.

I have to say, I think I much prefer to visit in the evening. Really liked the vibe. I was really loud, but in a good way. Also, absolutely no smell of fish on this visit.

Got there about 7:30pm without a reservation and were seated right away even though the place was pretty full.

I discovered their Lona Faye's Four 'H'Club hushpuppies - OMG - My absolute new favorite.

We also had the Striped Bass (good, but pretty hard on the edges), Linguini and Clams and the chocolate hushpuppies.

Add in a highball and a tea and the total was $85. Not too bad for two people and a nice dinner.

Will be back, but i think for lunch I may stick with the Lona Faye's Four 'H' Club and a salad. Dinner will depend on my mood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Went again last night with the wife for her birthday.

I have to say, I think I much prefer to visit in the evening. Really liked the vibe. I was really loud, but in a good way. Also, absolutely no smell of fish on this visit.

Got there about 7:30pm without a reservation and were seated right away even though the place was pretty full.

I discovered their Lona Faye's Four 'H'Club hushpuppies - OMG - My absolute new favorite.

We also had the Striped Bass (good, but pretty hard on the edges), Linguini and Clams and the chocolate hushpuppies.

Add in a highball and a tea and the total was $85. Not too bad for two people and a nice dinner.

Will be back, but i think for lunch I may stick with the Lona Faye's Four 'H' Club and a salad. Dinner will depend on my mood.
    Nice! My wife's BD is next week, so plan to follow your lead!

Finally made it to the Drake.

We had a group of six, and we didn't have a reservation. We put our name on the list then went to the Pump for a drink, they said it would be an hour, but we got the text in 30 minutes. We sat in one of the circular booths, which was perfectly sized for our party size. The drinks were outstanding, but took quite a while to get to the table. We had the calamari, which was great, somewhat spicy and very flavorful. Most of us got a half dozen oysters, and they were fresh and very good. They give you some sauces to go with them, and I rarely do more than horseradish, but I tried a couple and they were good. My wife and I split the striped bass and the scallops, and both were perfect. My wife gravitated more to the scallops, as she doesn't really do all types of fish. I thought they were both outstanding, well seasoned, and cooked perfectly. Our friends got paella, and we tried it. I think that's the go-to dish, at least for me, next time. Perfectly seasoned, with plenty of shellfish and chorizo. We skipped dessert to go somewhere else for a drink and dessert,and overall, it was outstanding. I feel like the "family style" is a bit of a stretch, and the drink service needs some work. The server should have easily had another round to us, and the pace probably hurts their check totals a bit. I'm confident they'll work it out. I'll be back, for sure, and often.

Ate there this afternoon with wife and 4 children. Food was great, I really enjoyed the environment. We ordered 3 kids meals(2 chicken finger meals and one kids hot dog meal). The fourth child is 16 months so she just ate off the kids plate. Along with that we had the Calamari, 6 Oysters, Linguine,Clam, Chorizo dish and the whole Lobster. All were very good. Linguine dish was a little on the salty side but not overwhelming. I can say the kids were full and my wife and I found ourselves finishing off their plates. The portions on the entrees left more to be desired as I found myself wanting more. Now we probably should have ordered another entree as the lobster is more like an add on as opposed to an entree, but we were already at $160 so we decided to get an order of chocolate hush puppies which were amazing and call it good. We will go back as this place fills a huge void in OKC!!

We really enjoyed our evening at the Drake. The service was friendly and genuine, although there were some funny moments, such as when one of the new hires wasn't sure if we would get bowls for our clam chowder (really).

Nice variety of options, and we went to town. Crowd pleasers were the fish tacos and clam chowder, which was probably the best item we had. The lobster roll was over-seasoned, as was the branzino, which was salted so totally one would think ancient Hebrews were preserving it in a salt cave.

The tomato jam forming the base of the otherwise well-executed cod was rather unflavorful. Surprising, given the lugubrious over-seasoning of other dishes.

The Hiramasa appetizer was quite good.

Enjoyed the oyster selection but was underwhelmed by the mignonette I chose, the jalapeno-infused selection. Also was not a fan of the house-made cocktail sauce.

The atmosphere was chic, if a bit sterile.

Despite a few hiccups, this is easily OKC's best new restaurant, and I look forward to giving it another try.

ON EDIT: I just read Chadanth's review, and I would add that it took a lifetime for us to get our first round of drinks. The server said it was related to "so many people sitting at the bar on Sunday night." That was somewhat funny, because at least half of the bar seats were unoccupied. I guess it's just growing pains associated with a brand new establishment, but we made reservations several days in advance and you would think bar staff would be able to get a glass of wine and a cocktail out faster than 15 minutes. After the long delay on the initial order, we started ordering our next drink well in advance and didn't have any further issues with bar service.

It sounds like Dave Cathey is a fan.

Is The Drake the Goodest Egg So Far? | NewsOK.com
    Are you employed by the Oklahoman?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Are you employed by the Oklahoman?
    It seems like you've asked me that before. LOL. I am not and have never been employed by the Oklahoman. I've just been a loyal subscriber for about 50 years. Do you suppose I could find a way to get a little money from them without actually being hired?

LOL. It's all good, it just seems like you are their PR agent at times.

Thread Information