Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Default Re: Retail Explosion on Memorial Road

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    If it happens often enough to drastically increase comps, then the restaurant probably isn't going to make it
    I suppose that I was overly focused on the Yin rather than the Yang side of the situation.
    So you are probably right.

Perhaps noted local medium, Brianna of The Oklahoman, could tell us for sure.

Perhaps she even has some ethereal vibes along the lines of traffic snarls and drainage concerns.

http://www.mdlco.com/files/Chisholm_CreekBrochure.pdf shoes no Panera Bread or so yet. Will have High End Retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    A lot of good stuff up there. Should do well. Won't do much for me, since I never drive to that side of town anymore...and haven't been up there in probably 7-8 years. Still it gets these folks in the door for the area which is good overall.
    We already have one these on our side of town, it's called UNP in Norman...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by mgsports View Post
    http://www.mdlco.com/files/Chisholm_CreekBrochure.pdf shoes no Panera Bread or so yet. Will have High End Retailers.
    We shall see. I've heard that before but maybe we're finally interesting enough to attract higher end retail. I know Anthropologie is knocking it out of the park so perhaps word has gotten around.

I am very impressed with the plans for this shopping center and hope it actually gets built as planned. This is actually very similar in style to a lot of the shopping centers in South Charlotte. If done right, hopefully it will bring the standard in this city to the next level for future developments as well.

The COSTCO store I still think is PIE in the SKY. OKLAHOMA has its restrictive PRESCRIPTION EYEWEAR and ALCOHOL laws that would probably impact a good 10-40% of COSTCO's revenue as compared to a store in North TEXAS. The only thing I could see happening is maybe a smaller footprint of a store may the their concept in this case

The rest of everything I see looks like a developer based here in TX just slammed onto a map. CABELAS came to NTX with a bunch on incentives (tax credits) and I think they have learned finally how to re-jigger a store to suit the SW US. No RESTAURANT, Go Easy on the THERMAL and CAMPING GEAR and blow out half or more of the store to GUNS and AMMO and the other HALF to BOATS and FISHING (just another Bass Pro if you ask).

H&M is foreign and caters to the body type of XS-L There is no XL or above. Something that the normal American Bodytype is not. We love our processed food sitting in front of the TV. Definitely not the European body type nor activity style.

The ACTIVITY based concepts - Bowling, Golf. They may have a chance. But look around there is already an AMF lanes on Penn between Hefner and 122. All the Putt Putt or Incedible Pizza locations with miniature were geared to family and they are gone. OKLAHOMA has its 'near beer' and for these establishments to cater to the $money$ they will need to shun the family and shoot for the single and couples and professionals. The last thing someone who wants to get their 'buzz on' and is to hear a screaming kid(s) that are terrorizing a place!

Surprised that IKEA and NEBRASKA FURNITURE MART are shown. But then again that would steal thunder for all the OK folk who trek to N.TX for the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    Glad I was able to view the link yesterday because it is now gone.
    Quail Springs Ranch...that's what the same planned development was called in the 2000's. This has all been planned for some time but then the recession of 2008 occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by jhsimpson View Post
    The COSTCO store I still think is PIE in the SKY. OKLAHOMA has its restrictive PRESCRIPTION EYEWEAR and ALCOHOL laws that would probably impact a good 10-40% of COSTCO's revenue as compared to a store in North TEXAS. The only thing I could see happening is maybe a smaller footprint of a store may the their concept in this case
    Welcome to the forum.

Costco has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for that location and it will be a typical sized store.

They operate in plenty of other places with similar restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Costco has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for that location and it will be a typical sized store.

They operate in plenty of other places with similar restrictions.
    I can definitely understand people having doubts about this project. Oklahoma, and OKC in particular has been snubbed at by the more popular national retailers for decades. If everything actually sets up shop that has been mentioned here, it will be an incredible break from the status quo in this city.

The only way that this project should be approved is if The Developers are forced to make it an exact replica of Bricktown. This would include water taxis on what used to be Chisholm Creek.

If this is the Prime Design Directive--in conjunction with cobblestone streets and no vehicular traffic other than horse-drawn carriages and some version of rickshaws or pedal cabs, of course--the development could be considered to be a cutting-edge example of Instant Old Urbanization and Infill, rather than Traffic Congestion, Sprawl and Watershed Erosion Encouragement.

The other benefit of this would be the easing of traffic and parking in downtown OKC since urban fringe people (formerly known as "suburbanites") wouldn't have to drive there to experience Bricktown thereby facilitating the ambiance that should be associated with gentrification. Which is a good thing, btw.

The rest of everything I see looks like a developer based here in TX just slammed onto a map. CABELAS came to NTX with a bunch on incentives (tax credits) and I think they have learned finally how to re-jigger a store to suit the SW US. No RESTAURANT, Go Easy on the THERMAL and CAMPING GEAR and blow out half or more of the store to GUNS and AMMO and the other HALF to BOATS and FISHING (just another Bass Pro if you ask).

H&M is foreign and caters to the body type of XS-L There is no XL or above. Something that the normal American Bodytype is not. We love our processed food sitting in front of the TV. Definitely not the European body type nor activity style.

The ACTIVITY based concepts - Bowling, Golf. They may have a chance. But look around there is already an AMF lanes on Penn between Hefner and 122. All the Putt Putt or Incedible Pizza locations with miniature were geared to family and they are gone. OKLAHOMA has its 'near beer' and for these establishments to cater to the $money$ they will need to shun the family and shoot for the single and couples and professionals. The last thing someone who wants to get their 'buzz on' and is to hear a screaming kid(s) that are terrorizing a place!

Surprised that IKEA and NEBRASKA FURNITURE MART are shown. But then again that would steal thunder for all the OK folk who trek to N.TX for the weekend
    Well good morning, Miss Sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I can definitely understand people having doubts about this project. Oklahoma, and OKC in particular has been snubbed at by the more popular national retailers for decades. If everything actually sets up shop that has been mentioned here, it will be an incredible break from the status quo in this city.
    We've already seen some of those breaks: Anthropologie, Whole Foods, an NBA team, etc. OKC is one of the hottest markets in the US economically, and it's one of the fastest growing cities in the US. Why should it surprise you that investors are noticing this well-publicized five-year phenomenon?

I know you mean well but your concern trolling is laughable.

I think you have completely missed the demographic that shops at H & M. As a dad of two school age daughters I can assure you that you have.

Also low point beer has zero to do with any of this

BTW, wine, spirits and beer account for only 3% of Costco overall sales; nothing like 10-40%.

LINK

Also, there are plenty of locations that have separate-entry liquor stores attached to the larger warehouse, including at least five in Colorado.

Optical is certainly a minuscule percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I think you have completely missed the demographic that shops at H & M. As a dad of two school age daughters I can assure you that you have.

Also low point beer has zero to do with any of this
    I've recently visited H&M stores in New York and Madrid and the stores carried XL in both. Not sure what this poster's agenda is, but he seems to be an angry Texan, probably upset that there will be fewer and fewer reasons for OKC residents to visit Dallas to shop.

WHY do you TYPE like THAT?

For all the SIMs-In-The-Real-World Players (SIMsITRW) in here, not yet actually familiar with the building site under consideration, I would suggest a drive into Walmartia (from the North, South, East or West). . . say, oh I dunno, around Christmas? Or on any given Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the morning or evening.

If you like what you experience, I say Go For It.

Shoot, maybe Stage Center can be relocated to this corner of Suburbia and serve as a museum for all the Snail Darters, Whooping Cranes and Spotted Owls that will be displaced. =)

Why . . . There might even be room to include a Mystery Tower.

If none of that is feasible, at least look at the design alternatives associated with The Shoppes at West End in the vicinity of St. Paul or that area in "MapleGrove" (or whatever) MN with a Buco di Beppo location.

"Wilbur . . . I'm gettin' damn tired of all this 'neigh-saying'"

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    For all the SIMs-In-The-Real-World Players (SIMsITRW) in here, not yet actually familiar with the building site under consideration, I would suggest a drive into Walmartia (from the North, South, East or West). . . say, oh I dunno, around Christmas? Or on any given Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the morning or evening.

If you like what you experience, I say Go For It.

Shoot, maybe Stage Center can be relocated to this corner of Suburbia and serve as a museum for all the Snail Darters, Whooping Cranes and Spotted Owls that will be displaced. =)

Why . . . There might even be room to include a Mystery Tower.

If none of that is feasible, at least look at the design alternatives associated with The Shoppes at West End in the vicinity of St. Paul or that area in "MapleGrove" (or whatever) MN with a Buco di Beppo location.

"Wilbur . . . I'm gettin' damn tired of all this 'neigh-saying'"
    How would you propose putting Costco downtown then? Personally, I think huge warehouse stores like that are better fit for the suburbs. I dread the day Wal-Mart proposes a Supercenter downtown. A lot if people will support it because it will give downtown residents a grocery store, but the huge box and sea of parking will be detrimental to downtown in the long run. I think retail in downtown OKC could work the way it currently does in Louisville. Big box retail though belongs on Memorial.

National retailers could care less about conforming to the urban design standard most of us want to see downtown. Remember what happened with Office Depot?

How would you propose putting Costco downtown then? ...
    Friend, you must have skipped the class on how to read, understand and respond to RadicalModerate.
    Step 1) print out what he posted in a large font -- you'll be grateful for the large, easy-to-read font at step 5.
    Step 2) (mis en place) go buy a good cigar, a good bottle if wine, a bottle of tequila (cost will be immaterial by the time you get to it), and a cheap six-pack of beer.
    Step 3) look up RM's DIY Dinners, pick one out, make it at home, enjoy it with the wine.
    Step 4) fire up the cigar and read what you printed out in step 1.
    Step 5) engage the tequila, one shot at a time, alternately reading and drinking until you think you understand what RM wrote.
    Step 6) pay no attention to the time of day -- call up your ex. Read RM's post to him or her. Tell your ex what you think it means. Ask their opinion on the matter. Before they respond, holler, "Crap! The cops are here!" and terminate the call.
    Step 7) drunk dial any other number in your contact list and repeat step 6.
    Step 8) crack open a beer and sit down at your computer (not that one -- the one in the middle) and craft your response.
    Step 9) delete your response and repeat step 8 with a fresh beer.
    Step 10) yeah, again, but actually post it this time.
    Step 11) finish off the tequila and beer, if necessary, and call your ex again.

High End Retail means like what's in New York,LA,Chicago and so on like Bloomingdales. Mega Marshall's and TJMAXX and More are considered a Big Box Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Friend, you must have skipped the class on how to read, understand and respond to RadicalModerate.
    Step 1) print out what he posted in a large font -- you'll be grateful for the large, easy-to-read font at step 5.
    Step 2) (mis en place) go buy a good cigar, a good bottle if wine, a bottle of tequila (cost will be immaterial by the time you get to it), and a cheap six-pack of beer.
    Step 3) look up RM's DIY Dinners, pick one out, make it at home, enjoy it with the wine.
    Step 5) engage the tequila, one shot at a time, alternately reading and drinking until you think you understand what RM wrote.
    Step 6) pay no attention to the time of day -- call up your ex. Read RM's post to him or her. Tell your ex what you think it means. Ask their opinion on the matter. Before they respond, holler, "Crap! The cops are here!" and terminate the call.
    Step 8) crack open a beer and sit down at your computer (not that one -- the one in the middle) and craft your response.
    Yeah I just pay this guy that works in the Samsung Appliance Black Market 780(BUCKS) to illegally enter the country of France and have some top men-TOP MEN- decipher the post and form a/n response(s). Now, if that doesn't work, then sometimes a few people end up dying for the greater good, but I don't want to get into that mess.

I can actually some poems that RadicalModerate has made over the years. Do the math, it took me 2,600 dollars for a plane ticket to Moscow to find someone whom is in the business of illegal Samsung appliance trading, and $5,000 to supply with him weapons-just in case-and I can now sell RadMod's poems for about 5 bucks a piece. It takes me on average a little over $700 to successfully sell one of his poems, so I am a little in the red, but. . . you got to spend money to make money champ, moving on!

How would you propose putting Costco downtown then? Personally, I think huge warehouse stores like that are better fit for the suburbs. I dread the day Wal-Mart proposes a Supercenter downtown. A lot if people will support it because it will give downtown residents a grocery store, but the huge box and sea of parking will be detrimental to downtown in the long run. I think retail in downtown OKC could work the way it currently does in Louisville. Big box retail though belongs on Memorial.

National retailers could care less about conforming to the urban design standard most of us want to see downtown. Remember what happened with Office Depot?
    Is the former "Aubreyville" on Western considered "downtown"?
    Perhaps the solution and answer to the question resides therein.
    Keyword: Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Excellent!
    Except for forgetting to mention that it has to be a Darft! beer.

It's the beer that first made Altoona famous. doncha know.
    Next is Memorial and Penn/Western!

Frankly, I'm humbled that anyone pays any attention to my opinions about stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, wine, spirits and beer account for only 3% of Costco overall sales; nothing like 10-40%.

LINK

Also, there are plenty of locations that have separate-entry liquor stores attached to the larger warehouse, including at least five in Colorado.

Optical is certainly a minuscule percentage.
    The two Costco stores that we frequent (Parker, Park Meadows) do not have the separate liquor stores, they do have 3.2 beer. I don't recall them at the two other Costco stores I have been to up here (Aurora, Arvada). The Sam's stores that we go to both have the separate liquor store. I know there are quite a few Costco locations in the Denver metro area so other areas may have the liquor stores, Colorado also have very similar regulations regarding liquor store ownership in that one person can only have one package store. The main difference is the residency requirement in Oklahoma.

The two Austin Costco stores have the separate liquor stores but none of the Sam's we went to did. We never went to the Coscto liquor store anyway, did get wine and beer in the main Costco or Sam's at times but there was a Spec's near both stores and in the same parking lot as one of the Sam's and we usually bought there.

Costco is "high end" for here. Where I'm from, bloomingdales, nordstrom, The Fresh Market, Central Market, Barney's, Saks is what is high end retail chains. Nevertheless, Costco is a huge upgrade from Sams. I hope OKc continues to attract better stores. I also hope some of that sweet sweet lovin spreads to Norman one day.

Thread Information