Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 19 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmond Restaurants

Default Edmond Restaurants

My wife and I enjoy going to the new restaurants in Oklahoma City, but we also enjoy eating at a number of restaurants in Edmond. Three of the Edmond restaurants we tried over the last few weeks have been very good.

Café Icon, located just west of Target, is owned by the couple who used to own Tropical Café. It's sort of an out of the way location, but the food was good and the restaurant is beautiful. We both had sushi, but they also have steak and fish. It is a little pricey, but we will be going back.

Just down a few doors is a Mediterranean restaurant called Simply Falafel. The prices are very reasonable and we both felt the food was some of the best Mediterranean food we've had. We split a vegetarian platter and both had tomato basil soup. The falafel they serve is the best I've had....excellent flavor and texture.

We both like Ethiopian food and have eaten at Queen of Sheba numerous times, but Edmond now has one on Second Street just west of Broadway....it called Haiget's It's in the same location that Nick's Thai Palace was in. Here we also split a vegetarian platter and some appetizers...and it was very good. Their menu is half Ethiopian and half Kenyan and the next time we go we plan on trying some Kenyan food. For the most part, Edmond is a steak and potato type of city, so I hope Haiget's can make it....the Blue Nile Ethiopian restaurant at 33rd and Broadway only lasted about year. The owners of Haiget's are great and it's worth a try if you haven't had Ethiopian food.

Zarate's, Sushi Bar, Thai Delight and Los Arcos are some others we also like.

Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Thanks for the thorough post and reviews!

Signature Grill is excellent, if you haven't tried it.

Simply Falafel on Blackwelder is another very good Med place.

The Cow Calf-Hay is good, simple food, as is The Garage (mini-chain).

Have heard good things about Lemongrass Thai (Santa Fe) but haven't tried it.

Wanted to plug Café Icon again for the folks that live in Edmond. My wife and I ate there again over the weekend and once more it was very good. We had the Kaboom Sushi, Shrimp Hibachi and Pot Stickers, all very tasty.

I went to Café Icon once for lunch, and I thought that the sushi was too sweet. I thought my server was arrogant, and he told me I ordered the wrong sushi rolls when I told them they were "just OK."

Signature Grill is the best restaurant in Edmond, by far. Its also one of the Top 5 restaurants in the metro, if you ask me.

Not a big fan of Simply Falafel, but Cow Calf Hay has great burgers. I have not been to Lemongrass Thai in a long time, but it was good back when I went there.

5. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

So far in Edmond we frequent Thai Delight, Garage, Johnnies, Signature Grill, 501, Boulevard, Zen and Phobulous. We've been to Cafe Icon probably 5 times now. I really want this to be my favorite restaurant, but it just isn't there..... When the food is great the service is lousy and when the service is great then the food seems to suffer. I've had great meals there, but also not very good ones. And for the price, it should be consistent. But I keep going back because I know so many people who like it. I just don't go unless others insist.

Humble Pie hands down has the best Chicago style pizza around.

The Sushi Bar is a trek but it's great.

8. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Humble Pie hands down has the best Chicago style pizza around.
    Forgot about them and Famous Joe's - we like them both (though all we ever get from Joe's is the Taco pizza and boxed salad).

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    So far in Edmond we frequent Thai Delight, Garage, Johnnies, Signature Grill, 501, Boulevard, Zen and Phobulous. We've been to Cafe Icon probably 5 times now. I really want this to be my favorite restaurant, but it just isn't there..... When the food is great the service is lousy and when the service is great then the food seems to suffer. I've had great meals there, but also not very good ones. And for the price, it should be consistent. But I keep going back because I know so many people who like it. I just don't go unless others insist.
    Have you ever thought of becoming a food critic? Seriously, you'd probably be very good and you seem to really remember every single aspect of your restaurant experiences(which is a good thing).

I'm certain Brian is a food critic...

The Bricktown Brewery in Edmond is worthwhile.

Nice place, good beer and food in the whole mini-chain is much improved under the new management.

The Bricktown Brewery is cool and all, and maybe I'm alone in thinking this way, but should the Bricktown Brewery really be in Edmond? It just doesn't seem fit anywhere else than Bricktown. I know they have restaurants like Texas Roadhouse, Chicago Pizza, etc. but it just sounds weird saying ok family, lets go to the Bricktown Brewery and drive to Danforth/Kelly for it. I suppose this is good for their business and means they plan in expanding in more areas though. Maybe they'll grow into a national chain one day.

BTW, excuse me knowing this, but are they locally owned?

13. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Have you ever thought of becoming a food critic? Seriously, you'd probably be very good and you seem to really remember every single aspect of your restaurant experiences(which is a good thing).
    Thanks - and I have no idea why people keep suggesting this to me. I'm beginning to think I'm on the receiving end of a cruel joke. I like to eat, I have a strong opinion (that often differs from others), and I use social media. Maybe that's all that's required. So far I've had my balls broken in the Gazette and TLO for posting my restaurant opinions..... oh yeah, and the Jokelahoman referenced a critical review I wrote once in an in-depth article (but didn't name me).

I think I'll just stick to occasionally annoying people here at OKCtalk with my foodie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The Bricktown Brewery is cool and all, and maybe I'm alone in thinking this way, but should the Bricktown Brewery really be in Edmond? It just doesn't seem fit anywhere else than Bricktown. I know they have restaurants like Texas Roadhouse, Chicago Pizza, etc. but it just sounds weird saying ok family, lets go to the Bricktown Brewery and drive to Danforth/Kelly for it. I suppose this is good for their business and means they plan in expanding in more areas though. Maybe they'll grow into a national chain one day.

BTW, excuse me knowing this, but are they locally owned?
    Bricktown Brewery has 4 locations now, and I believe they are planning on more over time.

Assuming nothing has changed, they're owned by Enduring Brands LLC out of Edmond.

At this point, Bricktown Brewery is a brand, so I don't see nothing wrong with that name outside of Bricktown.

Wow, I didn't realize they had that many locations, thought it was just in Bricktown.

Anyhow, it just kind of seems just having a special restaurant like that is more unique when it stays in one location and is located in the place where its name derived from. I suppose though, they could always tout going to the original Brewery in Bricktown for the most authentic taste.

16. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Thanks - and I have no idea why people keep suggesting this to me. I'm beginning to think I'm on the receiving end of a cruel joke. I like to eat, I have a strong opinion (that often differs from others), and I use social media. Maybe that's all that's required. So far I've had my balls broken in the Gazette and TLO for posting my restaurant opinions..... oh yeah, and the Jokelahoman referenced a critical review I wrote once in an in-depth article (but didn't name me).

I think I'll just stick to occasionally annoying people here at OKCtalk with my foodie reviews.
    LOL... You were even credited as the author of my two-bit, hack, wannabe blog.... Not sure whether you should be offended about that association or not.

Here is a picture of the new Qdoba Mexican Grill

Couldn't get a good picture though. :/

It also now listed as one of their locations to: http://www.qdoba.com/locations

Covell and Kelly
    1300 West Covell Road
    Edmond, OK 73003

I am still VERY disappointed that Fuji Sushi in Edmond shut down..
    Has anyone heard why? Their Sushi seriously rivaled any place in OKC.

19. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    I am still VERY disappointed that Fuji Sushi in Edmond shut down..
    Has anyone heard why? Their Sushi seriously rivaled any place in OKC.
    Wow, didn't realize they were closed. We'd eat there from time to time. Really liked their food.

We lived in Edmond until moving downtown last month and always enjoyed Lottinville's Wood Grill south of 15th on Kelly. I agree that Signature Grill is probably the best restaurant in the entire metro area. We also loved Garbanzo Grill on 15th near Bryant... sort of a Mediterranean Chipotle. Their cilantro sauce is out of this world.

Pedmond, thanks for your comments about Haiget's. I had seen it there before and assumed it was Ethiopian, but didn't know about the Kenyan portion. I would love to go check it out at some point. Was sad to see Thai Palace go, Nick was a character.

Here is another picture of Qdoba Grill from The Edmond Sun

Timber Crest earns 5-0 vote » Local News » The Edmond Sun

I'm going to carry over some info that was in the del taco thread. Alvarado's has now re-opened (as of Wednesday the 19th) in the old Fuji Japanese place on Broadway (2805 S bdway I think).

Is anything going to open in the former Alvarados location then ?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Is anything going to open in the former Alvarados location then ?
    That's where Del Taco is going to go. The building has already been gutted and will be demolished.

My understanding was that Alvarado's a wait time for tables tonight, which makes me happy that a local business like that seems to be doing alright after being closed and changing locations.

Thread Information