Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxlley (formerly The Silos)

Default Oxlley (formerly The Silos)

Indianapolis-based Milhaus has broken ground on The Silos, 273 apartments with a parking garage just to the north of the Icehouse project,
    and on the west side of the tracks across from the Edmond Railyard and downtown Edmond.

Milhaus is the developer of LIFT in Midtown and also submitted a bid for the property west of the Myriad Gardens along with the developers for the proposed OG&E Energy Center.

With UCO, bars, restaurants, shops and even a grocery store (Sprouts), this area is one of the most walkable in the entire state.

Default Re: The Silos

Yo. Downtown Edmond is becoming, really already is, it's own metro District. It REALLY reminds me of Brookside in Tulsa. Toooons of great food, cool local shopping, bars, Citizens Bank/the city does a great job of conducting events there. Great walkability. Almost all of the restaurants have patios out front now, so it really makes it look and feel a lot more lively and active than it was even 2 years ago. And adding a nicer/large apartment set up like this is only going to add to the area.

It's interesting that Milhaus is reentering the OKC area market with this project. During the development of LIFT, they had a local office here and seemed ready to do more projects, then pulled out about four years ago.

Also, the downtown area could be easily linked to Santa Fe Station through commuter rail. There used to be a train station in this area and it also has a bunch of surface lots for the park-and-ride crowd.

Also, The Lark small home project is just to the west:

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46684

Downtown Edmond seems to be the one area that doesnt get much NIMBYism. Im guessing because you dont have large lot, large homes and their owners nearby. The city has also pumped multi millions in TIF money in the area so they certainly are glad to not see any NIMBY attitudes here.

Most of the downtown developments and new retail have mostly been meh in my opinion but this and American Solera are good deals.

^

There are very few homes adjacent to downtown, which severely cuts down on the NIMBYism.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

There are very few homes adjacent to downtown, which severely cuts down on the NIMBYism.
    Also, the perception that it would mostly be occupied by UCO students, so local schools would not be severely impacted helps with the NIMBY lot. That whole area, I think was light industrial back in the day. I'm sure long time residents are happy to see this going up. IMO, not a great place to live being right next to the railroad, but to each his/her own.

Blog Entries

How is UCO affording anything? I thought they were having severe budget issues?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    How is UCO affording anything? I thought they were having severe budget issues?
    I think they mean UcO students will live here off campus.

Blog Entries

ah

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Yo. Downtown Edmond is becoming, really already is, it's own metro District. It REALLY reminds me of Brookside in Tulsa. Toooons of great food, cool local shopping, bars, Citizens Bank/the city does a great job of conducting events there. Great walkability. Almost all of the restaurants have patios out front now, so it really makes it look and feel a lot more lively and active than it was even 2 years ago. And adding a nicer/large apartment set up like this is only going to add to the area.
    Very similar to the Rose District (Downtown BA) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Very similar to the Rose District (Downtown BA) as well.
    that area should be a blue print for every mid size town in Oklahoma .

This project has started construction.

At the top left is The Lark, a small-home community.

Well positioned right next to the soon-to-be-opened Empire House, not to mention the rest of the Railyard.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Well positioned right next to the soon-to-be-opened Empire House, not to mention the rest of the Railyard.
    Yeah, I don't see how this isn't a game changer for them. The other developments are nice but this is bringing conservatively what, an additional 300-400+ people or so, living right across from the Railyard?

“Work to construct a new apartment complex and parking garage in Downtown Edmond will close a portion of Main Street beginning on Tuesday, July 5th. The extended road closure will ensure safety in the area as construction will take place on both sides of the street. The closure is scheduled to run through the end of March 2023.

The area of Main Street impacted is between the railroad tracks and Santa Fe Drive. The road will be fully closed during this work and motorists will need to find an alternate route as needed.

This housing and parking project is being undertaken by Milhaus and will include 276 living units and a parking garage for residents and the public. Additional information is available at https://milhaus.com/news/. “

- https://www.edmondok.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=942

If I was designing this, I would have placed the garage along the railroad side for added sound barrier. Instead, the layout is the exact opposite. Not sure if the train still sounds horns through this area, but that would kind of suck for those east facing units.

^

This area is now part of a quiet train zone.

I wish someone would put in a nice condo complex right along there.

I was driving through downtown Edmond yesterday and it looks like the parking structure component of this has gone quite vertical. There's also a crane on-site doing crane things.

That parking garage is quite tall all on its own, can't wait for the apartments to start going up around it.

Between this, the Lark, and the project by Rader Building Company at Campbell and Jackson St (I believe it is their project called the Campbell given the street name, but they aren't very specific on their website), Edmond is really going to start to feel a whole lot different.

This concept better be a winner, in order to build here the city had to sacrifice both Dan's Transmission Shop and Jerry's Automotive Repair.

Thread Information