Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmond Restaurants

1. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Pretty sure we went last in June or July of this year.
    I think you may have... Last Yelp review was 06/02/19

Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

New pub W is fantastic.

3. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    New pub W is fantastic.
    I pass the new one on 2nd most every day. Place is packed based on the parking lot. Never been. What's the atmosphere? Food?

I pass the new one on 2nd most every day. Place is packed based on the parking lot. Never been. What's the atmosphere? Food?
    Not much different than the OKC one. It's just close to my house.

I just heard Katie's Country Griddle has been closed for a few weeks...anyone know what happened?
    The Mule downtown is shooting for an opening date around the end of November (which probably means after the holidays sometime).

It's technically not Edmond but the new strip mall at NW 178th & Penn is getting close to it's opening date. It will have following:

El Pollo Chulo - A second location for this retaurant.

Leonardo's Mexican Grill - They haven't posted a menu yet but the single image on their webpage is a street taco.

405 Pizza - A local, relatively inexpensive pizza restaurant.

Mei Shi - A Chinese/Asian restaurant we know almost nothing about. The interior looks like it might be set up like Panda Express.

There is quite a bit of excitement in the surrounding area for these new restaurants. We've been there for 10 years and it's pretty much a wasteland, restaurant wise. We have a couple of Sonics, a Braums and what has to be the worst (and busiest) McDonalds on the planet.

The new shopping center also has a meat market (Cherry Hill) and of course, a nail salon.

Quote Originally Posted by marky_d View Post
    I just heard Katie's Country Griddle has been closed for a few weeks...anyone know what happened?
    The Mule downtown is shooting for an opening date around the end of November (which probably means after the holidays sometime).
    Judging by the Yelp reviews, Katie's just went completely off a cliff, which isn't surprising as they've had problems with the health dept. for years, and we stopped going a few years ago because they weren't doing things right (no soap in the restroom, leaving the front door open, etc.).

Has anyone tried the new place at Danforth and Santa Fe, "Right-A-Way Burgers"? I guess it opened on the 21st.

Has anyone tried the new place at Danforth and Santa Fe, "Right-A-Way Burgers"? I guess it opened on the 21st.
    Ooh, I'm guessing this is the same as the Right-A-Way burgers that was at Coltrane and Waterloo?

10. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Wife and I tried the new Chicken Salad Chick on 2nd street in Edmond.

I'm probably not their target market (I'm not an old white FEMALE Edmondite), but neither the wife or I could understand how this place has 140 locations - IT'S CHICKEN SALAD!

Anyway, we got a $10 coupon in the mail and since it's pretty close to our house we gave it a try.

The interior is done very nice (though definitely catering to the market I outlined above) and a lot larger inside than I would have suspected their business model could handle.

Was surprised they had a full staff at the counter and yet, nobody greeted patrons with a smile and/or welcome. Instead it was the only person who bothered to make eye contact, and yelled out "I can help you over here."

I got a 'Fancy Nancy' chicken salad on croissant with loaded baked potato soup. Wife got the Buffalo Barclay on toasted wheat bread and spicey pimento cheese side. We also got a small Rockin Rita chicken salad to go (for my wife's lunch tomorrow).

Prices weren't bad - Sandwich and side/soup/salad for like $8.50.

It's an order and pay at the counter and take a number to your seat kinda place. You get your own drinks (cashier didn't bother to tell us where the drink fountains were, but we found them around the corner).

We got there on a Weds. night about 4:30pm and there was one other table of two guests. Two-three more groups (6-8 people total probably came in while we were there).

Didn't take long to get our food.

Presentation was fine. Actually looked like it might be pretty tasty.

First thing we both noticed was the bread just wasn't right. My wife's wheat bread was toasted, but it was cold - like it had been toasted prior to being ordered, or was toasted immediately and the chicken salad was so cold it immediately chilled the bread. Same goes for my croissant. Very dense and not toasted or flakey at all. Definitely tasted like it came from a food service provider.

The chicken salads were fine - but, it's chicken salad, my expectations weren't that high.

Wife liked the pimento cheese, but it was too spicy for her and she only ate about 1/3rd to it. She decided to try the Rockin Rita she ordered to go - didn't care for it at all.

My sandwich was fine, but didn't have the taste or texture of a good fresh homemade sandwich. I get a much better sandwich at Missy's or even Scottie's Deli.

The loaded baked potato soup was pretty good, but the amount they give you is pretty small.

All in all..... If I had just taken my grandmother to church and she wanted to go to lunch somewhere I might suggest this place, otherwise - no thank you.

But, with 140 locations, obviously people do like it.

*Also, we didn't realize until we were already served that you can taste test any of their chicken salads. Wish they would have told us that.

Wife and I tried the new Chicken Salad Chick on 2nd street in Edmond.

I'm probably not their target market (I'm not an old white FEMALE Edmondite), but neither the wife or I could understand how this place has 140 locations - IT'S CHICKEN SALAD!

OMG, I literally laughed out loud at this - I've said "It's just chicken salad" a few times about this place to my 80 year old white mom who lives in Edmond!!!

Same thing with The Sandwich Club. I've always wondered about the viability/longevity of them - I make better sandwiches than they do - but they seem to have a thriving business, dunno why.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    OMG, I literally laughed out loud at this - I've said "It's just chicken salad" a few times about this place to my 80 year old white mom who lives in Edmond!!!

Same thing with The Sandwich Club. I've always wondered about the viability/longevity of them - I make better sandwiches than they do - but they seem to have a thriving business, dunno why.
    The Sandwich Club has always been a weird one to me because they're only open for lunch, in a part of town that's not exactly close to a ton of office buildings. Great reviews, but I've lived about a mile away for nearly two years now and still haven't been due to the limited hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The Sandwich Club has always been a weird one to me because they're only open for lunch, in a part of town that's not exactly close to a ton of office buildings. Great reviews, but I've lived about a mile away for nearly two years now and still haven't been due to the limited hours.
    Took us a long time to try it too, both because of the limited hours and concept, but we finally made it and it just wasn't worth it at all. All the folks leaving good reviews must not be able to make a sandwich, and the ones that say "it's just a sandwich that I could make for a couple of bucks at home" are right on target.

BTW, we must be neighbors, saw you mention 36th/May, we live just a few blocks from there in Venice.

14. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

I doubt I'll be trying Chicken Salad Chick but for those of you saying "It's just chicken salad." ....... Well I've been guilty on multiple occasions of driving to Kuby's Sausage House in Dallas just to get their chicken salad in bulk... Ok I usually grab some sausages and other cured meats too but it's the chicken salad that keeps me going back.

Full story in the Gazette:

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/b...nt?oid=6662231

16. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

I haven't seen anyone talk about it yet but my wife and l had very good
    omelettes and biscuits at The Rocky Mountain diner on the l35 service road. Simple menu and informal atmosphere but out meals were very good.

17. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I haven't seen anyone talk about it yet but my wife and l had very good
    omelettes and biscuits at The Rocky Mountain diner on the l35 service road. Simple menu and informal atmosphere but out meals were very good.
    That place has come up in the past on this board. Wife I ate there several times when they were at 2nd and Coltrane. Really liked their breakfast burrito - huge!

Been to the new location twice now. Never seems to have gotten back to how busy it used to get at the old location. My first visit was not too great. Second visit was pretty good. It's an odd location and I never seem to think about it. Thanks for the reminder. I may have to take the wife there in the next day or two. I hope they are doing okay there.

18. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Saw a sign up on a space in that relatively new shopping center on East 2nd in Edmond (where Daylight Donut is). Sign says "Butcher + Bistro" - anyone have any info on this place?

I've mentioned Mei Shi, which is a new restaurant that will be in the small strip mall at NW 178th & Penn (as well as over by or in Chisholm Creek). Last night I found an online record for an LLC for Mei Shi 2 Edmond and it appears to be owned by the same guy who owns Taste of China on I-240 and who was partial owner of the original FUZE restaurants.

This has me optimistic that the food at Mei Shi will be pretty good.

Saw a sign up on a space in that relatively new shopping center on East 2nd in Edmond (where Daylight Donut is). Sign says "Butcher + Bistro" - anyone have any info on this place?
    I could be wrong here but I think this may be Josh Valentines new concept- I can't remember where I came across it but I know I read something on it a couple months back.

21. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I could be wrong here but I think this may be Josh Valentines new concept- I can't remember where I came across it but I know I read something on it a couple months back.
    You are correct... It will be called Livegrass Butcher + Bistro

https://mms.okrestaurants.com/Calend...?eventid=49504 <---- Scroll down the page a bit to find the entry for Josh

22. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    You are correct... It will be called Livegrass Butcher + Bistro

https://mms.okrestaurants.com/Calend...?eventid=49504 <---- Scroll down the page a bit to find the entry for Josh
    http://www.livegrassok.com/

Just noticed the Livegrass sign up. we live just northeast of here. hoping for good things!

24. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Last night was 'Date Night' (Fri) so the wife and I headed out to a regular spot of our's - Fish City. However, the wait at 6pm was about 30-40 minutes. So, we decided to walk next door to Kyoto Sushi Bar & Asian Bistro. We'd never been there before and thought it might make for a nice change.

Place is really nicely built-out. Good formal or dress casual date night place. We were a bit concerned as the place was completely empty when we arrived and the waitress said she'd been there for a couple of hours with no guests. That said, by the time we left, they were almost full.

Wife and I split Seafood Kingdom Stone Pot (baked crawfish, scallops, shrimp, snow crab, mixed veggies, rice, seaweed salad and tamago). It came out sizzling hot, was a lot of food and was very tasty. Definitely would order again, especially on a cold night ($18).

We also spilt Spicy Tuna Sushi Roll ($7). Presentation was done very nicely and they didn't scrimp on the wasabi or ginger. Roll wasn't huge. But made for a good appetizer to our entree. Taste was very good and fresh. Pieces were firm and stayed together nicely, even with a soy dipping.

We finished the night with the Banana Harumaki (fried banana and caramel in film dough, raspberry coulis) ($7). This was our least favorite. The ice cream and sauce was good, but you couldn't even taste 'banana' and the fried bits were bland. Needed something sprinkled on top (powdered sugar, cinnamon, etc.).

All-in-all it's definitely now on our list for consideration. Couldn't believe it's been there "for about a year" (according to the waitress) and we've never been.

The only real downside was the time it took to get our food. The sushi came out a full 20 minutes before the entree. The dessert took just as long after being ordered. Not a big deal as we are not the type of couple that just sits there, we always have plenty to talk about. But we did notice the delay. The waitress was great. Very friendly. Pretty knowledgeable considering the extensive menu and very apologetic about the delays.

Total was only about $36 before tip. Not bad at all for a nice dinner for two. Consider it if you live/dine near NE 15th and Bryant in Edmond.

https://www.kyotoedmond.com

They were on a wait by 7:20pm. They have a solid sake menu FYI. Also, after 9pm they have $5 sushi rolls on the happy hour menu. I really want this restaurant to survive the Spring Creek restaurant wars.

Thread Information