Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmond Restaurants

Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

The Rise and Shine Cafe that took over the space where the other two places that failed at Santa Fe & Danforth seems to be having quite a bit of business since opening if you go by the amount of vehicles in the parking lot.

Lot’s of recent closures on Broadway. Long John Silver, Colby’s Grill, and Rib Crib are all gone.

I think I recall an office building or something going in to where Colby's was. Similar work happening across Broadway as well, so that will change the look of that area. I like the infill going on. I hadn't seen Long John Silver being gone, but I never go there, so wouldn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    The Rise and Shine Cafe that took over the space where the other two places that failed at Santa Fe & Danforth seems to be having quite a bit of business since opening if you go by the amount of vehicles in the parking lot.
    That's good to hear. We drove by a while back and the signage was up but they weren't open and we forgot to check back on it. We love trying new breakfast places so we'll have to check this one out.

Bon Chon and that seafood place generally had an empty parking lot, even during peak restaurant hours.

I saw that the Long John Silvers on Broadway that closed within the last couple of months is going to be a taqueria. The building has a new paint job and they look pretty close to opening already.

Sunnyside Dinner looks close to opening:

20190327_154433.jpg
    20190327_154449.jpg

PDQ closing all Oklahoma locations: http://www.news9.com/story/40231653/...officials-said

8. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but we went to go eat at Ocean Taste tonight for dinner and it’s out of business. We didn’t go very often, but I was anxious to see how the granddaughter reacted to a crawfish boil.

9. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

We eat next door at the Thai place and I gave Ocean Taste six months. I don't think it lasted that long.

10. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    We eat next door at the Thai place and I gave Ocean Taste six months. I don't think it lasted that long.
    I thought the food was fine and the inside was nice for what what it was. You can't have very high expectations for seafood in Oklahoma IMO. But, it's not something people are going to eat often, it's pricey and there are established better options IMO. Sorry to see them go, but yeah, not real surprised.

As for Thai Delight, next door, we love that place. Probably eat there at least twice a month. We ended up there as a matter of fact.

My wife and I have a new go-to restaurant in Edmond, Cajun Catfish & Po'Boys, on 2nd, just West of Broadway.

They are not cheap but the food is absolutely amazing. The stuffed shrimp is our favorite but their collard greens are excellent and their red beans and rice are the best I've ever had.

Highly recommended.

https://www.cajuncatfishandpoboys.com/locations

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    My wife and I have a new go-to restaurant in Edmond, Cajun Catfish & Po'Boys, on 2nd, just West of Broadway.

They are not cheap but the food is absolutely amazing. The stuffed shrimp is our favorite but their collard greens are excellent and their red beans and rice are the best I've ever had.

Highly recommended.

https://www.cajuncatfishandpoboys.com/locations
    There is one right up the street from me on Douglas! They are very good, and I highly recommend them!

14. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

The new shopping center they are building on the south side of 2nd Street between Coltrane and Vista lane has signs for Pub W and Chicken Salad Chick on it now.

15. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

A group of us (neighbors) decided to give Virginia's Place a try (East 15th and Blvd.) last night. Apparently they only serve dinner on Friday nights and it's all you can eat catfish. We figured a little local hole-in-the-wall probably does it right.... We were so wrong. The place was dead, the server was loud and the food was horrible. I kid you not, the catfish could best be described as Catfish-Calamari. It was this weird white color and completely chewy like calamari (I've never in my life described catfish as 'chewy'). The beans were gag-worthy. I seriously considered spitting them out of my mouth. The coleslaw was okay (pretty much KFC style). The fried potatoes were only partially fried so they tasted very hard and starchy. The one hush puppy was okay and the fritter was hard as a rock. I had actually been warned about this place from two other people. But, I didn't want to be 'that person' so I didn't say anything when it was suggested we go there. One other couple in our party had apparently been there once before for lunch and didn't like it at all and never went back. They too didn't want to be a Debbie Downer and didn't say anything beforehand. Needless to say, we all 6 hated it. Took a couple of bites, paid for it and left. (went to the new Sparrow Italian restaurant and loved it - so the night was saved.) I was really hoping this would be a locally owned hole-in-the-wall dinner with good food. It's one of the few places I've eaten where the food was actually really bad. That said, the One Place Cafe a couple of doors down is an excellent tiny locally owned restaurant.

I went there for breakfast a few weeks ago. I order a waffle It was not cook through and was doughy. Pass on that place.

Apparently they are planning on building a Taco Bell and Burger King at Lowe's and Covell, according to people on Nextdoor.

Noticed a few minutes ago that the Johnnie's Express on Danforth has closed and space is for lease.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    A group of us (neighbors) decided to give Virginia's Place a try (East 15th and Blvd.) last night. Apparently they only serve dinner on Friday nights and it's all you can eat catfish. We figured a little local hole-in-the-wall probably does it right.... We were so wrong. The place was dead, the server was loud and the food was horrible. I kid you not, the catfish could best be described as Catfish-Calamari. It was this weird white color and completely chewy like calamari (I've never in my life described catfish as 'chewy'). The beans were gag-worthy. I seriously considered spitting them out of my mouth. The coleslaw was okay (pretty much KFC style). The fried potatoes were only partially fried so they tasted very hard and starchy. The one hush puppy was okay and the fritter was hard as a rock. I had actually been warned about this place from two other people. But, I didn't want to be 'that person' so I didn't say anything when it was suggested we go there. One other couple in our party had apparently been there once before for lunch and didn't like it at all and never went back. They too didn't want to be a Debbie Downer and didn't say anything beforehand. Needless to say, we all 6 hated it. Took a couple of bites, paid for it and left. (went to the new Sparrow Italian restaurant and loved it - so the night was saved.) I was really hoping this would be a locally owned hole-in-the-wall dinner with good food. It's one of the few places I've eaten where the food was actually really bad. That said, the One Place Cafe a couple of doors down is an excellent tiny locally owned restaurant.
    Agree on Virginia's Place. We tried to go to Sunnyside Diner but it was a 45 min wait so we opted for Virginia's instead. Bad Choice. Employees eating on the counter from a pie plate (dessert). Food felt fake (from boxes, not fresh).

We finally got into Sunnyside Diner this morning. Bad experience there as well. Aside from the wait, which I can understand at a busy restaurant, the food took forever to get out and after getting it the pancakes were tasteless and dry. Hash browns not bad and eggs not bad. Bacon was shriveled and overcooked. Prices were way out. Thirty dollars for two breakfast plates and coffee with tip at 20%. Not a place we'd care to return.

The kitchen for Sunny Side Dinner is the rate limiting step. The manager explained that the size of the tiny kitchen means only so many meals can be prepared at the same time. They quote crazy wait times, but if they explained that it was because of kitchen set up, not table turnover, people would understand. I've never gotten out of there in under 90 minutes, but I've also never had a bad meal there. They appear to be doing a booming business.

21. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

When did Retro Hash on 2nd St. close?

We hadn't been there in awhile and I checked their times this morning and saw they were out of business.

We always got good breakfast and lunch there (service was iffy).

I googled the address and nothing popped up - has something similar taken its place?

I drove by there last week and there is a sign up that says Beehive Eatery (I think that’s what it said). When I googled it, the only thing I found was a place with that name in Canada.

23. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    When did Retro Hash on 2nd St. close?
    Want to say it's been over a year, or more, now... I used to follow them on FB and remember them making the announcement... If I recall correctly they were having a hard time finding kitchen help and the owner was having some health issues due to the hours he was spending in the kitchen.

24. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    I drove by there last week and there is a sign up that says Beehive Eatery (I think that’s what it said). When I googled it, the only thing I found was a place with that name in Canada.
    Interesting... There was was Beehive in a restaurant black hole on 4th Street in Moore for about a year... Wonder if it's the same people?.

I never made it over to try it because it opened about the time I went keto but I heard the food was good but it's the 4th attempt that's failed in that location and I've thought the food served at the first 3 attempts was good.

I think it just suffers from people being oblivious to the location because I know people that drove on 4th Street daily and when I mentioned it they had no idea what I was talking about.

25. Default Re: Edmond Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Want to say it's been over a year, or more, now......
    Pretty sure we went last in June or July of this year.

Thread Information