Widgets Magazine
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 232425262728

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Finally got a new phone that can run the Uber and Lyft apps (old one couldn't get upgraded past Android 4.0.3), so with all the fallout about Uber in the past year or so, and not hearing much of the same about Lyft, thinking I should use Lyft. Wondering which one is better here in OKC, though, as far as number of drivers, rates, etc.?
    We tend to use Lyft over Uber, but typically will check both when calling a ride to see which one is cheaper. I've noticed my "sketchy" or weird drivers has increased a lot recently.. not sure if that's just me.

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

A lot of drivers work for both platforms. I have stayed with uber. I have enough rides and a high rating that puts me in a VIP category where I can choose that category and only get higher rated drivers and vehicles. It kind of weeds out some of the crap drivers.

3. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I have slowly transformed to Lyft. They seem to have a decent amount of promos that I participate in and the drivers seems to be better. That being said I have encountered a bit more strange ones lately. I guess I had been fortunate so far and now the needle is swinging back the other way.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll probably put both apps on the phone, but use Lyft as a first choice...

We rarely ever use Uber/Lyft anymore. Just too many strange/sketchy experiences. Did anyone else on here use UZURV? I quite enjoyed that - that way we could much more reassured that we were hiring a trustworthy driver, and could even ride with someone we'd rode with before. Not sure what we'll do next time we go out of town for a week+ but thankfully airport parking here is pretty cheap still.

6. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Finally got a new phone that can run the Uber and Lyft apps (old one couldn't get upgraded past Android 4.0.3), so with all the fallout about Uber in the past year or so, and not hearing much of the same about Lyft, thinking I should use Lyft. Wondering which one is better here in OKC, though, as far as number of drivers, rates, etc.?
    It's basically the same quality of drivers and cars since many drivers work for both companies. Just depends on your brand loyalty, surges, pricing, etc. I know some people that drive for Lyft that refuse to drive for Uber.

Problem is, as fares dropped, so did the quality of drivers/cars.

We've had friends turn an Uber away before because the car and driver were just too sketchy.

Is anyone having trouble using Uber in OKC? The last three times I tried to use uber AND Lyft were just awful. Twice they said there weren’t any drivers nearby(in Edmond and near Penn Square). Last week I tried calling one for a friend at the airport and it took 10 mins before saying it would arrive in 20 mins at which point I offered to just pick him up and he said he’d wait. Then the driver canceled and it took another 5 mins trying to find someone and same thing said it would be 20 mins so I just said screw if and I went and picked him up myself.

I chalked it up to having just bad luck but I’m seeing more and more people complain about it on Facebook and Twitter threads like this: https://twitter.com/aegprofanity/sta...872960516?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is anyone having trouble using Uber in OKC? The last three times I tried to use uber AND Lyft were just awful. Twice they said there weren’t any drivers nearby(in Edmond and near Penn Square). Last week I tried calling one for a friend at the airport and it took 10 mins before saying it would arrive in 20 mins at which point I offered to just pick him up and he said he’d wait. Then the driver canceled and it took another 5 mins trying to find someone and same thing said it would be 20 mins so I just said screw if and I went and picked him up myself.

I chalked it up to having just bad luck but I’m seeing more and more people complain about it on Facebook and Twitter threads like this: https://twitter.com/aegprofanity/sta...872960516?s=21
    it’s been bad in OKC and Tulsa since the pandemic started.

It's a National Problem I think. I have heard stories from people in other cites having the same issues. Kind of like what is happening in food service. I think Lyft and Uber drives are making more in unemployment.

Yeah industries that rely on low pay and labor exploitation are having trouble finding folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is anyone having trouble using Uber in OKC?
    Not just OKC. I was in Houston this weekend for a wedding and Ubers/Lyfts were few and far between. Also, I can attest to the sketchy driver comment. Our Uber driver that picked us up at the airport in Houston mentioned he had only been to Oklahoma once: to the federal penitentiary in El Reno for 6 years for embezzlement and money laundering.

They probably all became grocery shoppers or Amazon delivery drivers. Its not worth anyone's time just doing a couple of pickups/dropoffs a day. Uber/lift will struggle until tourism/travel pick back up

13. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I've really noticed it getting worse at the beginning of this year (no coincidence right around the same time people have started to get out more). We never ran into issues getting one at a moment's noticed prior to January, but now we'll order both uber and lyft and hope we luck in to a driver who is likely 20 minutes away. The driver's we've talked to have said most have left due to 1. Driver's not wanting to expose themselves and/or family to COVID, 2) making as much money or more with diving for Postmates, DoorDash, etc. 3) Grocery shopping / Prime drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I've really noticed it getting worse at the beginning of this year (no coincidence right around the same time people have started to get out more). We never ran into issues getting one at a moment's noticed prior to January, but now we'll order both uber and lyft and hope we luck in to a driver who is likely 20 minutes away. The driver's we've talked to have said most have left due to 1. Driver's not wanting to expose themselves and/or family to COVID, 2) making as much money or more with diving for Postmates, DoorDash, etc. 3) Grocery shopping / Prime drivers.
    Postmates/doordash is another big one I didn't mentioned. People always need to eat and they probably started eating out even more when those stimulus checks started rolling in. Not dealing with people during pandemic is kind of an obvious one of course. Kind of interesting it got worse at the beginning of year though........

15. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Postmates/doordash is another big one I didn't mentioned. People always need to eat and they probably started eating out even more when those stimulus checks started rolling in. Not dealing with people during pandemic is kind of an obvious one of course. Kind of interesting it got worse at the beginning of year though........
    We've brought up the difficulty of finding a driver to our drivers, and several times they have given us their personal contact to pick us up outside of Uber/Lyft. I'm not typically a fan of going outside the app, but when that's our only option it's nice to have another contact. This also adds to the list of reasons why it may be harder to find one...

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We've brought up the difficulty of finding a driver to our drivers, and several times they have given us their personal contact to pick us up outside of Uber/Lyft. I'm not typically a fan of going outside the app, but when that's our only option it's nice to have another contact. This also adds to the list of reasons why it may be harder to find one...
    Going outside app can create liability/recovery issues if your driver has an accident. Won't be covered under Uber and driver's personal insurance may not cover or be inadequate.

^^

I drove for Uber and Lyft for a year or so and I had a few regulars that wanted me, so I gave them my number. How it basically works is I would stay offline until they are in the car, I would go online just before they request a ride. I am the nearest driver and I would accept their ride. Sometimes their app would be slow to see I was the closest driver, so it would ping another driver. If you cancel a ride within a few seconds of it being accepted by a driver there is no penalty. So in the off chance they got assigned a different driver they would just cancel it and wait a second before submitting another, and then it would find me.

I

Thread Information