Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Pete, although I can still get UBER by going into my browser, is there any plans for a blackberry app?

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Pete, although I can still get UBER by going into my browser, is there any plans for a blackberry app?
    I know it's available for BB 7:

Uber Blog | Uber is now available for BlackBerry 7!

3. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Dang I have BB 10. But it does give me hope. THanks

4. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

People still use Blackberries?

5. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

^

I do for work.

Aside from the $10/week equipment rental, are there any other costs associated with signing up to be an UberX driver? My Fiat500L can seat 4 more people besides me, gets 30 mpg in town, and I live very close to a major North Florida shopping district and the University of North Florida so I really could wait for a fare from my living room (although I don't mind sitting in a parking lot either as I have Netflix and DirectTV on my phone plus some French to learn).

Also, I assume this is taxable income. Does UBER send any kind of tax documents or is it up to me to report the earnings and pay the taxes? I assume I can also write off the gas or mileage as a tax deduction and also deduct the $10/week rental fee.

You have to fill out a W-9 but they don't withhold taxes. You have to report on your taxes.

As for the $10/week, since I last posted on this subject I received an email from Uber suspending my driver's account because they had misclassified me as a Black Car, rather than UberX. They said to be a Black Car driver you have to have a commercial license and commercial insurance.

I merely signed up to be a driver and they screwed up -- I never asked to be a Black Car, they just put me in that category by mistake.

So now, I don't know if I still get charged $10/week or if that was just for Black Cars. Also, as far as I can tell, they only charge the $10 if you actually have fares in weekly reporting period.

In another email, they notified all UberX drivers that you can no longer pick up passengers at LAX, as they have been cracking down, issuing citations, etc. I think Black Cars can still make pickups, however.

Thanks Pete. I guess you can still drop people off at the airport.

After reading this thread and checking out the website I think I am going to give it a try. I have nothing to lose and if I make a few hundred bucks in my free time I can get the home theater system I have been wanting.

Of course, this is all pending approval from the little lady, but after 21 years of marriage what doesn't require her approval.

Kerry, let us know how it goes.

I've found that other than NY Eve, there a lot of drivers and not enough riders to make it worth my while. But of course I'm in a market that is pretty mature by Uber standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Kerry, let us know how it goes.

I've found that other than NY Eve, there a lot of drivers and not enough riders to make it worth my while. But of course I'm in a market that is pretty mature by Uber standards.
    I'll definitely post my experience.

I just signed up and activated my account and am waiting to be contacted by the local rep to get my dispatch hardware. According to the web site there is no set weekly fee for using the iPhone. It just says there is a small fee per ride. I'll have to find out what 'small' means. The only other item so far is that my car is not on the drop down options to register it. At first I thought this might be because it is so new to the market but the list was missing lots of other models as well. Setting up direct deposit and the W-9 was straight forward. The only item I need to find out about is what is the exit process. If I decide to stop do I just turn the device back into them and close my account.

I am hoping my location next to a 15,000 student university and a major shopping area will work in my favor and I only plan to do it as my schedule allows me.

Well, my Uber career didn't last long. I got an email today that said they were only rolling out the BlackCar service here in Jax which requires me to own a large black car and be a licensed chauffer, so that counts me out. Oh well, at least I got 1 cent from the test direct deposit.

Why would they even think they could use the taxi stand? If you aren't a taxi you can't park in their spot.

I'm sure it was one guy one time.

Just like these issues:
    Traffic and Transportation commissioners agreed with Andrews, voicing their own frustration with the city staff declining to enforce current vehicle-for-hire ordinances against Uber drivers.

They noted that the city's monthslong suspension of enforcement coincides with controversies nationwide that include claims of price gouging by Uber, a driver accused of hitting a family on a San Francisco crosswalk, killing a 6-year-old girl, and reports of drivers suing Uber over disputed fares.
    How often do taxi drivers hit people and break laws? Most of them are horrific drivers. Imagine if you compiled one month of instances for all taxi drivers nationwide!

I'd feel much more safe with Uber than any taxi.

“Was he written a ticket?” Andrews asked. “No, he was not. He was asked to leave, but not ticketed. I don't understand why the city says everybody else has to abide by these ordinances, but these people from San Francisco, Germany and the Netherlands come in and they don't have to follow the law.”

-----
    Huh? There must be more to this story...?

Anyway, the other day the Uber driver said there are 60 drivers in OKC now, and he sort of mentioned it may be too many...not enough demand or something ...

As someone who works in the insurance business, check with your agent about being an uber driver. Might need to adjust your policy or get a new one. I know for a fact my company would deny any claim if the insured wrecked while in service.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    As someone who works in the insurance business, check with your agent about being an uber driver. Might need to adjust your policy or get a new one. I know for a fact my company would deny any claim if the insured wrecked while in service.
    How would your company know.

Also, Uber carries insurance for drivers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Would your company deny both liability and collision claims or just the liability? (I don't know why you might take part of the risk under a personal use policy.) That comes from wondering if Uber's drop down insurance will cover the driver for collision along with the liability when it's the driver's fault and the driver's personal insurance denies it all or if Uber will just pay the liability claims and let the driver tough it out on his own loss.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    “Was he written a ticket?” Andrews asked. “No, he was not. He was asked to leave, but not ticketed. I don't understand why the city says everybody else has to abide by these ordinances, but these people from San Francisco, Germany and the Netherlands come in and they don't have to follow the law.”

-----
    Huh? There must be more to this story...?

Anyway, the other day the Uber driver said there are 60 drivers in OKC now, and he sort of mentioned it may be too many...not enough demand or something ...
    The company started in San Fran, is incorporated in the Netherlands and I think is headquartered in Germany. The guy who parked in the taxi space was an Oklahoman.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    How would your company know.
    They look at the car and see the GPS on the dash. Police report get statements from anyone involved in the wreck. Ask the passengers why they were in the car with the insured. It would be very easy to determine.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Would your company deny both liability and collision claims or just the liability? (I don't know why you might take part of the risk under a personal use policy.) That comes from wondering if Uber's drop down insurance will cover the driver for collision along with the liability when it's the driver's fault and the driver's personal insurance denies it all or if Uber will just pay the liability claims and let the driver tough it out on his own loss.
    From my understand what our company said is that if the insured is at fault and in service with uber, ALL claims will be denied. The insured is using the vehicle improperly for the given policy.

The insurance company looks at them as taxi drivers who are in the highest risk category and very few companies will even write.

Very similar to this. Drivers for Uber, Lyft stuck in insurance limbo - SFGate

I wonder if a driver's regular medical insurance would or could take the same approach to a driver's injuries (or even a passenger's) if it's the drivers fault, their auto carrier denied the claim, Uber denied to pay or limits were exceeded?

Sorry if this has been discussed but apparently surge pricing has hit OKC. Anyone experienced this? I still use Uber relatively infrequently, but that is interesting for sure. Also, would love for UberBlack to come to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed but apparently surge pricing has hit OKC. Anyone experienced this? I still use Uber relatively infrequently, but that is interesting for sure. Also, would love for UberBlack to come to OKC.
    I thought surge pricing is what goes in to effect when demand gets too high? So are you saying demand is high at this very moment? Or are you saying they have raised their normal rates? They're different if I understand it correctly.

Thread Information