Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

1. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Used it last night to go to and from the game (Bricktown, actually). In both cases arrival took about 5 minutes after ride request. Both drivers were personable, polite and seemed safe. Vehicles in good order, comfortable and clean, though not especially luxurious by any stretch. Five bucks each way from the other side of downtown. The same cab ride usually runs around eight. Similar to using Flywheel for cab hailing, which I have done a number of times with great success. I'll use the service again.

2. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Agree. Have really enjoyed the black car experience in places like NYC. Takes a lot of the stress out of visiting a new city too. Since I had to reserve those by phone or Internet, I'm sure that with Uber it would be even better.

3. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I'll say this too: with TimeCar, Flywheel and now Uber, living and working downtown, if I didn't have a company-provided vehicle I would seriously consider having a motorcycle-only stable. My car sometimes sits a week or more without being driven these days.

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

My car hasn't indicated it needs an oil change for over a year now. I just got a "Well, we should probably change your oil since its been a year message from the dealership" but my car doesn't think so. I love being able to walk to the grocery store and could walk to work if necessary, although I usually drive.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It will be nice when OKC gets the Black Car option. It is really nice to be able to ride around in a new town car or caddy.
    Won't be a new town car. Lincoln stopped making them and replace them with what I considered a pretty poor and non attractive replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    It will be nice when OKC gets the Black Car option. It is really nice to be able to ride around in a new town car or caddy.
    No Phantom?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Won't be a new town car. Lincoln stopped making them and replace them with what I considered a pretty poor and non attractive replacement.
    I believe all car manufactures did away with the large style bodies. Mercury stopped making the Grand Marquis in 2011 and the Caddy Deville is no more either. I am pretty confident we might see come back before 2020, but who knows.

The reason they no longer make the big sedans is because the U.S. fell in love with massive SUV's like the Escalade and Navigator.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The reason they no longer make the big sedans is because the U.S. fell in love with massive SUV's like the Escalade and Navigator.
    I agree but was still pretty shocked considering the town car was the stable for car services for many years. When in NYC or Vegas or pretty much any other big city...they are everywhere. Car services turn their cars more quickly due to amount of quick mileage . I predict that the Chrysler 300 will be the next standard livery service vehicle as you can still get it extended and is really the only full size sedan available

There's a lot of regulatory blowback being reported now, with stories in the Oklahoman, Journal Record, News9, KFOR, etc. Rather than saying that Uber doesn't fit within the current regulatory guidelines (which I believe is a true statement), how about using this as the opportunity to review those guidelines? Because from what I have experienced with local taxis is far less than what I would want in terms of vehicles and drivers.

I think Uber offers an interesting and possibly superior product, but it's fair to ask if the drivers and vehicles are properly vetted and meet logical standards. How do we do that?

Ya there has definitely been some whining, here is the editorial from Journal Record yesterday:

Periscope: By taxi standards, Uber?s model is checkered | The Journal Record

The title says by taxi standards ubers model is checkered. Well, Ive never really cared for taxi standards in the first place. Spotty service, long wait times when you call for service and sometimes drivers taking the long route...uber has them beat on all that. How about the taxi and limo companies let me worry about who I decide to let drive me around.

OTS - I saw Streuli's column yesterday and came away thinking that he's complaining about the wrong thing. Uber isn't the problem - the problem is a regulatory structure that knows only how to approve services that they've seen before (conventional taxis and limousines). Uber is technically different from its predecessors in the way that they connect customer to driver & car. But there's a lot more than that. Certainly make sure that the driver and car are safe, but don't disqualify them because they have an iOS app and Thunder Cab doesn't.

Uber is to taxis and limousines what Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin and others are to American, United, Delta, Frontier, etc. As a consumer, I'd ask only that regulators not impose the equivalent of the "Wright Amendment" on Uber.

Uber, Lyft and Sidecar have all faced the same regulatory challenges here in California and pretty much everywhere they operate.

Yet, the services keep going and are very popular and successful.

I suspect it will be the same in OKC with Uber.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Uber, Lyft and Sidecar have all face the same regulatory challenges here in California and pretty much every where they operate.

Yet, the services keep going and are very popular and successful.

I suspect it will be the same in OKC with Uber.
    You're more optimistic than me. OK's leadership will find a way to screw it up for those that use it.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Ya there has definitely been some whining, here is the editorial from Journal Record yesterday:

Periscope: By taxi standards, Uber?s model is checkered | The Journal Record

The title says by taxi standards ubers model is checkered. Well, Ive never really cared for taxi standards in the first place. Spotty service, long wait times when you call for service and sometimes drivers taking the long route...uber has them beat on all that. How about the taxi and limo companies let me worry about who I decide to let drive me around.
    He (and others) are also operating under the misapprehension that old-school regulation is the best and really only way to insure safety and good service.

Uber uses a two-way feedback system to rate drivers and passengers, much like eBay implemented years ago. The idea is to create a community of people that provide and use the service, and eBay has demonstrated it works very, very effectively.

And like eBay, Uber does arbitrate disputes when necessary. I doubt many Uber customers go unsatisfied. Uber also provides an insurance rider, over and above the insurance drivers are required to verify.

How many smelly, old, rickety, squeaky cabs have you ridden in with some sort of crazy, smelly driver?? That has been my experience more often than not, so I'm not too impressed with the current regulatory system. I'd much rather be able to trust the people who rate Uber drivers and cars, as they are the ones actually taking the rides.

BTW, I was just approved to be a Uber driver here in Los Angeles.

Thought it might be a fun thing to try... You completely set your own hours and can merely switch your on-line Uber status to "available" at any time, and if you happen to be the closest driver, you have to respond for pickup within 15 seconds. You aren't required to take every request, however you'll get dinged if your don't keep you acceptance rate very high. They want the driver closest to the pick-up to go, and immediately.

You can also view an on-line map to see where other active drivers are stationed; the idea being you space a bit to get the best coverage and probability of ride requests.

I had to go through a background check, provide proof of insurance, proof of registration, photos of my car, my driver's licence and a bunch of other things.

Then, I had to take on-line training and pass a quiz.

Interestingly, they send YOU an iPhone with their software which I am now waiting for.

I'm really looking forward to trying the experience from the driver's perspective. I probably won't do much of it, but thought it would be fun to try when the mood strikes.

And of course, one of the huge advantages of Uber and the like is that it's completely cashless. AND their software is what determines the fare, which is no doubt far more accurate than some old mechanical taxi meter.

Seems like so many times I take a cab I have to have them stop at an ATM (where I usually encounter a service fee) so I have enough cash to pay them.

Sorry, but this system is a massive improvement and like so many of the new breed, it threatens entrenched businesses that have not re-invested and have become/stayed poor because of the protective regulatory climate.

If Uber wasn't so superior, the existing companies would have nothing to worry about, would they?

Blog Entries

Question about that... since you're also very familiar with OKC, when you come here, can you make yourself available in this market to drive? Or is there another level of local validation?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Question about that... since you're also very familiar with OKC, when you come here, can you make yourself available in this market to drive? Or is there another level of local validation?
    You have to be approved separately for each market.

Plus, you have to have each vehicle approved. Not sure you could do it with a rental car because you have to provide proof of registration.

Another thing about safety...

Uber requires all cars be of a model year 2000 and newer. And of course, they have to review photos of the condition of the vehicle before approving.

We all know safety in cars has improved by light years in just the last decade. Virtually any newer car has crumple zones, crash-tested bumpers, anti-lock brakes, good restraint systems, and a bunch of airbags. Not to mention, they are massively more reliable, stop and handle better.

Seems like every cab I get into is crazy old, that squeaks and creaks and handles like a waterbed. And the drivers usually seem a least a little crazed.

Sorry, I almost never feel safe in a cab. I just strap in and hang on for dear life.

Time to burn down the old system and let the new, much improved model act freely in the marketplace.

Blog Entries

Bummer... it would be a cool surprise to get Pete while Ubering in OKC (much more likely vs LA due to numbers of drivers in each market).

I'm down on taxis in OKC because they're dirty and I frequently see equipment violations, and the drivers are rude, not well informed about OKC, and I don't trust them. Recent exchange with a Thunder Cab driver at WRWA after returning to town:

tomokc: How much to (address)?
    Driver: $40 or $45.
    tomokc: Airport Express charged us $28 to drive us here the other morning. Will you do it for that?
    Driver: How about $30?
    tomokc: How about $28 and I'll tip if you do as good a job as the Airport Express guy?
    Driver: Done.

He started the meter which got to around $40 by the time we got to the house, I paid him $35 and we were done.

It's like haggling over a rug in a Middle Eastern bazaar.

Yet another advantage of Uber is that you can see your fare estimate before you ever submit a ride request.

And tip is also handled electronically.

You can also see exactly when a car is expected, get an alert when they are approaching, be sure that every driver has GPS, make use of an easy resolution system...

Uber is better in so many ways it's hard to list them all.

The only possible benefit to the traditional taxi companies is the dubious safety claim, which rings false with anyone who has ever ridden in a cab.

I used Uber to get to and from the Thunder game last night. It was great. The drivers were great. They were friendly and professional. I used Sid's promo code to get there and Janye's to get home. It was super easy and I didn't have shower off the filth like I do when taking a cab. I have told everyone about it! Thanks for sharing this gem, and to those who haven't used it try it! You wont be dissappointed! Use my promo (eotnq) to get a free $10 trip

Thread Information