Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber coming to OKC

Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Here's the exclusions on a Farmers Insurance policy. Long story short they've put an exclusion on every section of the policy. If your Uber driver has Farmers and hurts you, don't expect a penny from Farmers. Suing Farmers won't work either. I would almost guarantee every single insurance company has the same exclusions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0001.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	546.9 KB 
ID:	6629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0002.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	470.8 KB 
ID:	6630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0003.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	6631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0004.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	6632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0005.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	519.4 KB 
ID:	6633

I'd like to read a copy of Uber's policy.

I doubt there is a policy rated as personal use and driving to/from work,under X miles per annum that would cover operating one's vehicle as a vehicle for hire.
    Many, if not all,would likewise exclude junior driving mom's car on paid shifts to deliver pizza's on a regular basis.

The way one addresses this is to buy a different policy, at a different rate, that is designed to cover the type of use one contemplates as a regular, repetitive use of their vehicle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	6634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	6634
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    I'd like to read a copy of Uber's policy.

or this...

https://www.uber.com/legal

But I want to read the million dollar policy Uber claims to have that supersedes and negates all that.

Oklahoma Senate committee passes 'Uber bill' | News OK

A state senate committee has passed a bill seeking to place regulatory responsibility for Uber under the Corporation Commission. Uber is pleased ("With Oklahomans clamoring for more options in more cities, we're so pleased to see that the Oklahoma state Senate is as excited about the future of ride-sharing in Oklahoma as we are.") but the owner of VIP Limousines, well, not so much ("The whole thing is insane."). The Corporation Commission didn't know anything about it.

Your thoughts?

Oklahoma City appears close to regulating ride-sharing services | News OK

Oklahoma City appears poised to regulate UberX, the trendy app-based service that portrays itself as an online “ride-sharing” matchmaker.
    Proposed amendments to the city’s taxi regulations would create a new classification, “Transportation Network Vehicle,” for app-based cabs.

The proposals were prepared by city staff and circulated to city council members in the past few weeks.

They would require licenses, permits and inspections, and decals identifying cars as being part of the Uber service network.

Proof of commercial automobile liability insurance would have to be provided to the city.
    No surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    No surprise.
    Nope, nor does it seem unreasonable, at least not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Nope, nor does it seem unreasonable, at least not to me.
    Not in the least.

Uber does not require UberX drivers to carry commercial insurance (they do for Black Car drivers) so this is quite different than what is done in other markets. They also don't mandate licenses, permits, inspections or decals.

Not saying it's good or bad, just considerably more regulation than Uber has faced elsewhere and effectively these regulations will severely limit the Uber services in OKC versus other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Uber does not require UberX drivers to carry commercial insurance (they do for Black Car drivers) so this is quite different than what is done in other markets. They also don't mandate licenses, permits, inspections or decals.

Not saying it's good or bad, just considerably more regulation than Uber has faced elsewhere and effectively these regulations will severely limit the Uber services in OKC versus other cities.
    Not necessarily. If they carry the policy on the UberX drivers like they say they do, then they provide that to the city. The other stuff can be done through the same process as getting qualified. It is more but is still manageable.

More Uber commentar. This time mostly from OKCPD Bill Citty. Last paragraph he is quoted saying:
    “There’s not always a choice with public safety. A huge part of city government is public safety, and sometimes that means protecting people from things they might not even be aware they need protection from,” he said. “And if the model a business is using isn’t competitive enough within those constraints, then maybe they need to change their model.”
    He can try to force a business to change its model but it will ultimately be the market that decides that. Just like the old mp3 debate. They were going to get downloaded regardless, you could either complain and do nothing or you find a way to service the market, which Apple did a good job of. Same thing with Uber. It is clearly becoming the popular choice for getting around in many cities. Municipalities and the established taxi businesses can try to stop it but the market for Uber wont be going away.

Police chief fights move to let OCC regulate Uber | The Journal Record

Forgot to mention we used UberX a few weeks back during the last winter storm and surge pricing was X 2.5 around 11:00pm as everyone realized the roads were ice rinks and tried to get home.

Our driver showed up and advertised 4 seats, and when we got in - the driver had his wife in the front seat as his "navigator". So we had to cram 4 people into the back 3 seats. Then he proceeded to ask us for direction to I-44 and averaged 22mph due to conditions (which was fine, they were indeed bad).

We were hit with a $80 something bill. Since the circumstances were extreme, I understand why the surge pricing (supply and demand), but next time there is surge price in effect, I will probably try to find other means to get home.

That was my first time experiencing surge pricing.

15. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I don't remember but to they send out warning of surge prices so you don't get blindsided?

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I don't remember but to they send out warning of surge prices so you don't get blindsided?
    They notify you before you make the final step in requesting a ride.

17. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Used Uber for the first time last week in another city. Very handy!

Very good news here! Getting Uber drivers on commercial auto policies keeps the rates lower (relatively speaking) for everyone, and passengers will no longer be riding in what was essentially an uninsured vehicle.

This is definitely something that needs to be regulated after all Uber and other companies are charging for a service. When a person or company charges for a service, they should be properly licensed/trained and insured to reasonably protect the customer from any risk that may occur as result of providing a service. Especially when that service puts the customers safety at risk. It sounds like Uber is doing everything they should do to protect the customer. However, Jethro Bodine's Car Service could buy retired cop cars or run down church vans and charge half the price. We all know we American's are suckers for cheap even if it means we may be putting our safety at risk.

It just maybe time for OKC to establish a Taxi and Limousine Commission like NYC. I think car services fall under them in NYC.

Just received this... As a reminder, I am a part of Uber Los Angeles, not the group in OKC, but I'm sure this applies to their entire U.S. network.

Safety for riders, drivers, and our community is the single most important priority at Uber. This is why we have always offered protection that far exceeds rideshare and taxi industry standards. To further show our commitment to safety, we are expanding our insurance offerings to cover rideshare driver liability both during trips AND anytime a driver is logged in and available for a trip.

Starting today, we now have more insurance coverage to keep you protected:
    Liability on an Uber trip - same as before up to $1M
    Contingent liability while available but not on a trip - NEW!
    Contingent comprehensive and collision when on an Uber trip - NEW!

INDUSTRY LEADING INSURANCE COVERAGE!

How does this new liability coverage work?

This policy is a contingent third party liability policy that covers drivers during times when you are logged in and available but between trips. It is contingent upon your personal insurance policy, meaning it will only pay if your personal auto insurance completely declines or pays zero because of an accident while you were between trips. Most personal auto insurance policies cover this already. The purpose of this new policy is to provide drivers with peace of mind and clarity that there is coverage for a driver’s liability in all circumstances.

The additional insurance coverage limits are 50/100/25. That means that for bodily injury, it covers $50,000/individual/claim with a total of $100,000/incident. Property damage is covered up to $25,000/incident. If it is ever needed, this policy meets or exceeds the requirements for 3rd party liability insurance in every state in the US.

How does the comprehensive and collision coverage work?

The new comprehensive and collision coverage covers physical damage to your vehicle during trips only and replaces our prior reimbursement program for collision costs. In the event your car is damaged during a trip, this coverage will pay for damage to your vehicle if you purchased collision and/or comprehensive coverage on your personal auto policy and your insurer declines to pay. The deductible is $1,000 and the maximum payment is $50,000 per vehicle.

Do I still need to carry my own personal insurance?

Yes. Valid personal auto insurance is required at all times by state law and we require it too. Our insurance policy does not apply when you are not using Uber's driver app. In the event of an accident while you are online and available in the driver app but not on a trip, we expect that most personal insurance policies would provide coverage. But to eliminate any ambiguity, our new coverage for when you are available in the Uber driver app backs this up and pays in the event your personal policy completely declines or pays zero.

21. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Had my first Uber experience today.

I had dropped one of my cars off to be worked on (Volvo, Swedish Motors in Edmond) and needed to pick it up today and didn't want to wait for the wife to get home or trouble a friend or family member to take me. So, I decided to give this Uber thing a try.

Gotta say, it was a pretty painless and worthwhile experience. Not saying I don't have a few 'issues' with the service, but overall I liked it and would do it again.

Here's how it went;
    1.) I downloaded the app and set up an account.
    2.) I confirmed my credit card, mobile phone number and email address.
    3.) I entered a new user promo code and received a $20 credit.
    4.) I requested a fare quote and was told that from my home (near East 15th and I-35 area) to 201 West 15th in Edmond would be between $9-$12.
    5.) I requested a driver.
    6.) Unfortunately I had to do this a few times, as the app indicated that no drivers were available and to try again in a few minutes.
    7.) A few minutes later the app indicated a driver was about 22 minutes away and en route.
    8.) The driver called me almost immediately to get my location and where I was going to be going.
    9.) I was able to track the driver's progress to me on a map in the Uber app.
    10.) The app notified me when the driver had arrived at my home (he was on time).
    11.) The driver asked where I was going and we were off.
    12.) Arrived at my location - no money to change hands and the total was $9.67 (which actually didn't cost me anything because of the $20 credit).

Pro;
    1.) Really easy app to use that has a pretty geeky coolness about it.
    2.) Didn't feel 20 minutes was too long to wait (mainly because I was waiting at home.)
    3.) Driver was on time.
    4.) Car was clean inside.
    5.) Driver was pleasant enough.
    6.) Didn't have to deal with any cash, tip, etc.
    7.) Price was on the low end of the estimate.

Cons;
    1.) Not getting a car to respond immediately was a tiny bit concerning. Especially since I had no guarantee one would be available 'soon.'
    2.) Would have been nicer to have had an Uber car closer - as-in already in the Edmond area. This one came from the Quail Springs area.
    3.) Don't understand why the driver would call to get my location and then ask where I was going - I had already entered this information into the app.
    4.) Keep in mind I utilized UberX - The car that arrived appeared to be an older Sonata with several dents and dings to the body. It was dark brown with heavily tinted windows. One of my neighbor's was actually suspicious of it when she saw it pull slowly into my driveway - she texted me to make sure I knew some 'ghetto car' was in front of my house. I guess that's just an Edmond thing, as I noticed the condition of the car but wasn't overly concerned as I only needed to get from point A to B.
    5.) While the car was clean inside. I would have preferred customer service that is more closely aligned to a traditional professional car service; You don't have to open my door (he didn't), but you could ask if the temperature is okay, front seat is up far enough for my legs, and most importantly it would be good if they asked if you're okay with the radio station and volume. It was quite loud and on something link KJ103.
    6.) The driver had no idea where I was going and I had to direct him turn-by-turn. He said Uber does not tell him where he is supposed to be taking his passenger(s). He said that is one thing he doesn't like about the service - he drove 22 minutes to take me 3.5 miles.

Will I use it again? Absolutely. It was perfect for my need right then and there. I could see using it again for the same purpose or for leaving a group function early if I rode with others. I could also see using it if I or someone I know had been drinking and needed to get home.

22. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

Uber released maps of the routes people took using the app.

https://www.uber.com/100/

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Had my first Uber experience today.

I had dropped one of my cars off to be worked on (Volvo, Swedish Motors in Edmond) and needed to pick it up today and didn't want to wait for the wife to get home or trouble a friend or family member to take me. So, I decided to give this Uber thing a try.

Gotta say, it was a pretty painless and worthwhile experience. Not saying I don't have a few 'issues' with the service, but overall I liked it and would do it again.

Here's how it went;
    1.) I downloaded the app and set up an account.
    2.) I confirmed my credit card, mobile phone number and email address.
    3.) I entered a new user promo code and received a $20 credit.
    4.) I requested a fare quote and was told that from my home (near East 15th and I-35 area) to 201 West 15th in Edmond would be between $9-$12.
    5.) I requested a driver.
    6.) Unfortunately I had to do this a few times, as the app indicated that no drivers were available and to try again in a few minutes.
    7.) A few minutes later the app indicated a driver was about 22 minutes away and en route.
    8.) The driver called me almost immediately to get my location and where I was going to be going.
    9.) I was able to track the driver's progress to me on a map in the Uber app.
    10.) The app notified me when the driver had arrived at my home (he was on time).
    11.) The driver asked where I was going and we were off.
    12.) Arrived at my location - no money to change hands and the total was $9.67 (which actually didn't cost me anything because of the $20 credit).

Pro;
    1.) Really easy app to use that has a pretty geeky coolness about it.
    2.) Didn't feel 20 minutes was too long to wait (mainly because I was waiting at home.)
    3.) Driver was on time.
    4.) Car was clean inside.
    5.) Driver was pleasant enough.
    6.) Didn't have to deal with any cash, tip, etc.
    7.) Price was on the low end of the estimate.

Cons;
    1.) Not getting a car to respond immediately was a tiny bit concerning. Especially since I had no guarantee one would be available 'soon.'
    2.) Would have been nicer to have had an Uber car closer - as-in already in the Edmond area. This one came from the Quail Springs area.
    3.) Don't understand why the driver would call to get my location and then ask where I was going - I had already entered this information into the app.
    4.) Keep in mind I utilized UberX - The car that arrived appeared to be an older Sonata with several dents and dings to the body. It was dark brown with heavily tinted windows. One of my neighbor's was actually suspicious of it when she saw it pull slowly into my driveway - she texted me to make sure I knew some 'ghetto car' was in front of my house. I guess that's just an Edmond thing, as I noticed the condition of the car but wasn't overly concerned as I only needed to get from point A to B.
    5.) While the car was clean inside. I would have preferred customer service that is more closely aligned to a traditional professional car service; You don't have to open my door (he didn't), but you could ask if the temperature is okay, front seat is up far enough for my legs, and most importantly it would be good if they asked if you're okay with the radio station and volume. It was quite loud and on something link KJ103.
    6.) The driver had no idea where I was going and I had to direct him turn-by-turn. He said Uber does not tell him where he is supposed to be taking his passenger(s). He said that is one thing he doesn't like about the service - he drove 22 minutes to take me 3.5 miles.

Will I use it again? Absolutely. It was perfect for my need right then and there. I could see using it again for the same purpose or for leaving a group function early if I rode with others. I could also see using it if I or someone I know had been drinking and needed to get home.
    Interesting. Have to say I'm surprised about the "ghetto car" - haha only in Edmond. Most of the cars I've been picked up in were spotless - I'm sure because drivers know the cleaner their car, the higher their rating. It's not surprising that he didn't know where you were going - the app only shows where the ride requester is - at no point do you tell your destination in the app. Not sure why he called and asked where you were going - would he have turned you down? Or maybe he has received odd requests. Sounds like you did receive sub-standard service, even compared to what I've gotten in OKC. Best way to remedy this is to give your driver a less than stellar rating - supposedly Uber fires drivers who are less than **** - is that correct, Pete and others? Also not surprising how long you had to wait. I rarely have to wait more than 5-10 min, but then again I live in downtown where there's a much higher concentration of cars and riders.

24. Default Re: Uber coming to OKC

I rode in my first less-than-spotless uber car the other night. It wasn't filthy; just had floor mats that needed to be vacuumed, dusty dash, some odd straw wrapper debris, etc. I was shocked, based on many rides prior in cars that looked like they just came from the detailer.

Thread Information