Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 315 White Street

Default Re: 315 White Street

Meh. As a current OU student, I am continually amazed that no one seems to want open a cheaper establishment on campus corner for those of us who don't want to spend $8-10 on lunch. I often get food from the gas station because I don't want to spend that much on lunch. There are a couple of options such as Chic-fil-a, but it's extremely busy. A taco bell within walking distance from campus corner would probably put everyone out of business.

Does Norman have an Upper Crust?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Does Norman have an Upper Crust?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    Meh. As a current OU student, I am continually amazed that no one seems to want open a cheaper establishment on campus corner for those of us who don't want to spend $8-10 on lunch. I often get food from the gas station because I don't want to spend that much on lunch. There are a couple of options such as Chic-fil-a, but it's extremely busy. A taco bell within walking distance from campus corner would probably put everyone out of business.
    You would probably need to talk to the man who owns and basically controls most of the Campus Corner area for an answerer.
    He probably doesn’t want to "put everyone out of business”?

Quote Originally Posted by shavethewhales View Post
    DIAMOND DAWGS, on Asp. There is also a SUBWAY. You can get lunch there for 5 bucks.

You clearly have not even looked around Campus Corner. In addition to the two other places mentioned, Fuzzy's has a huge breakfast sandwich for $3 called "The Big Fuzz." There are definitely cheap options on Campus Corner.

Fuzzy's is awesome.

Add in the small portion at the greek house for cheap eats.
    (not that I've ever ordered the small portion myself, but several friends did and felt it was too much for them. Luckily, I was often present to save them from temptation.)
    Haven't been this fall. Hope it remains open and the new owners are treating it well.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    (not that I've ever ordered the small portion myself,.
    <----like---->

10. Default Re: 315 White Street

Any ideas on when they will start construction on this?

11. Default Re: 315 White Street

went by this location this weekend. Still no movement. There doesn't seem to be much rush to get this built.

12. Default Re: 315 White Street

Went by again tonight and still no activity. How long does one have to build after a permit is filed?

I think it has now been over a year since the toto's building was torn down.

13. Default Re: 315 White Street

Went by the site tonight and looks like they started working on this site this week. It will be really interesting to see what this new building look like at this location.

Also interesting is the convince store across from this site has closed and they are putting in what looks to be a smoking supply store.

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss that convenience store. I never even went in there, but it was definitely more beneficial to campus corner than a seedy vape store. That new place really brings the whole area down... maybe it will look better when they're done with whatever renovations they're doing, but at the moment it looks like some drifters just wandered in and setup shop.

Farther down the street, one of the old antique/vintage/craft stores is being converted into a "lounge".

15. Default Re: 315 White Street

Looks like the steel work is topped off on this structure. It looks to be about 3.5 stories. I am guessing the top 1/2 is to hide a AC or elevator shaft. The new building really looks huge next to all the other building but am hoping that this is the beginning of something new for this area.

HangryHippo Guest

I got a picture of the steel work. I'll try to post it later.

It's actually going to be gourmet, wood-fired pizza, plus more. The concept is really being driven by Anthony Compagni, the chef and one of the owners of Benvenuti's. Plans are to have a rooftop terrace.

18. Default Re: 315 White Street

Went by again and I was wrong. The building is at least 4 stories and really stands out.

A rooftop terrace there will be awesome, great views of campus. It definitely stands out, now they need to tear down and redevelop the building at Asp & White. That is prime property for residential with retail along White and Asp.

21. Default Re: 315 White Street

The Norman Transcript

It is indeed a new authentic Neapolitan-style pizza restaurant. The wood-fire oven was made in Italy and flown in. Pretty cool. The building will apparently be four stories, with a rooftop bar and dining area.

As for cheap options on Campus Corner in addition to the ones already mentioned: Which Wich, New York Pizza and Pasta (lunch special for around 5 or 6 bucks on weekdays), T.E.A. Cafe, Pickleman's Cafe, Jimmy John's Subs, The Pita Pit. Plus the Greek House has some good options (lot of food at good value).

Good to see this space being filled. It has made me sick seeing the an empty space in the urban fabric of what may be Oklahoma's best urban area.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Good to see this space being filled. It has made me sick seeing the an empty space in the urban fabric of what may be Oklahoma's best urban area.
    I don't know if I 'd go that far. Campus Corner is a nice walkable area with a lot of unique stores and restaurants but for it be great (IMO) it needs to expand to the west along University and further north along Buchanan and Asp, as well as add more housing and keep new chain restaurants and retail to a minimum compared to locally owned businesses. It certainly has a lot of potential and infill projects like these are a step in that direction. The biggest hole is still the parking lot across the street by Chimy's. Fill that in and that really completes the street along Asp and White.

HangryHippo Guest

Does anyone have a rendering of what the final design of this building looks like?

Holy heck, this thing looks like a skyscraper (from https://twitter.com/fowwow):

Thread Information