Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remains found in rusting car pulled from Oklahoma lake

Default Re: Remains found in rusting car pulled from Oklahoma lake

It was east of the parkway, or maybe just beneath it. Follow Wilshire west from May; it doesn't connect to the parkway. Before the Duck Pond was drained, Wilshire curved to the south and the pond was to its east shortly after making the turn; I think the road became Lakeshore drive and went on to the west but it's been a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    So in relation to current times where was the duck pond located exactly? I am guessing it was around the first body of water north of the dog park.
    It was immediately west of the Hefner Parkway and north of where Grand turns into the bridge that goes over the Parkway and becomes lake drive.... If you go to Stars and Stripes park at Portland, and take the first right after you enter the park, and go back east past that ball field to the Parkway, where the bike trails begin to curve north , and on your right,... that's the place.

To see it, go to http://www.okctalk.com/okc-1969/2943...-portland.html (which actually shows the Wilshire/May intersection) and in the lower left quadrant of the photo, look straight northwest from the "GRAND BLVD" label. You can see Lakeshore Drive curving to the west of a fairly large pond, and curving into Wilshire straight north of it. That pond is the Duck Pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    To see it, go to http://www.okctalk.com/okc-1969/2943...-portland.html (which actually shows the Wilshire/May intersection) and in the lower left quadrant of the photo, look straight northwest from the "GRAND BLVD" label. You can see Lakeshore Drive curving to the west of a fairly large pond, and curving into Wilshire straight north of it. That pond is the Duck Pond.
    So its the body of water that is directly west of where the dog park sits today it looks like. I also see a football field north of what used to be the Hefner optimist center{pool}which I don't remember.
    Thanks for the link.

With so many cases like this it is good idea to learn how to get out of the car if it goes in the water. So many people drown because they exhaust themselves trying to open door. Your best bet is to roll the windows down right away. If the window doesn't roll down (lots of pressure against the glass) you will have to break the window. If all else fails, you have to wait for the car to fill up with water and the pressure equalizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    So its the body of water that is directly west of where the dog park sits today it looks like. I also see a football field north of what used to be the Hefner optimist center{pool}which I don't remember.
    Thanks for the link.
    It is south of Wilshire, and north of the lake road, on the west side of the Hefner parkway. If you are southbound on the parkway, south of Wilshire, it will be on your right hand side about 1/2 way between Wilshire and the bridge at the lake road. The pond is still there. it did not get covered up by the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ""I remember when the Hefner area was being renovated, @1990. The Duck Pond
    was being dredged and a Cadillac with the remains of two women were found.
    It was from an incident that happened around 1963.""

I remember that. We used to ride dirt bikes out around that pond, never knowing that those people were resting under water just a short distance away.

Back when that incident happened, the road around that portion of the lake was very different as compared to when the construction that prompted draining the pond took place.

The people in the car were a Nichols Hills woman and her daughter, and it is suspected that they failed to negotiated the curve in the road and ran off into the pond, which back then was a dark two lane road.
    Now, its just creepy, looking at the 1969 aerial photo of the area, knowing that at the time it was taken, that car was still in there

That "Tulsa Incident" was pretty high up on the creepiness scale, too . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    That "Tulsa Incident" was pretty high up on the creepiness scale, too . . .
    What a time capsule that didn't go so well in the end.

1957 Plymouth Belvedere Buried Car Tulsa Oklahoma Tulsarama Boyd Coddington

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/au...RUST.html?_r=0

As I recall, Mrs. Elston was known to have a substantial drinking problem which likely contributed to the accident. Additionally it seems her daughter had some sort of major disability that likely prevented her from escaping either.

After 10 years, they have de-rusted and restored it to this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MissBelvedere_01_2000-970x536.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	15969

Article here: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...e-in-a-museum/

Thread Information