Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It's just I see many fans question any comment against "their team" as a partisan comment and question the motives of such comments. Too many people are too sensitive about what is said thinking anything negative is driven by that, if need proof just read OrangePower. Living in Austin gave me a different perspective, some of them think their program can do no wrong and everyone but UT cheats when in fact they have the same groups and elements in place. The delusion is great down there.
    Except OP is banning the subject for the time being...

2. Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Except OP is banning the subject for the time being...
    I'm hoping you aren't meaning me?

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Something this serious would require that reasonable journalistic integrity standards be met.

As these thing go this is about as bad as it gets. It goes to the very core of what NCAA athletic's are suppose to be about... The fact that its gone on for so long, but also well with in the time frame of the statute of limitations and under the eyes of OSU officials is going to get OSU hammers hard. This will have an immediate impact on OSU recruiting and more.

The fact that the NCAA has been seen as bungling several issues in recent years will have them wanting to aggressively make up for it. The fact that Boone Pickens is so easy not to like won't help OSU.
    Sometimes you had to know the right people to have heard them but there have been lots of rumors various activity's going on at OSU for many years. The fact that it finally comes out shouldn’t be shocking to anyone not living in a cave.

SI: OK State Hostesses "Providing Sex" To Football Recruits

Sports Illustrated has been investigating the Oklahoma State football program and has uncovered the exact kind of activities one would expect from an investigation into a major college football program. SI has not yet published its full accounting but The Oklahoman has several details, including coaches paying players and recruits who reportedly met with the assistant coaches from Tech U.
    The allegations go back to the Les Miles era and 85 percent cover the period from 2001-2007. Some concern former longtime assistant Joe DeForest. As reported by The Oklahoman, the allegations are as follows:

* Coaches and boosters paying athletes, including violations ranging from paying for jobs not performed, overpaying for jobs and strictly paying players for performance.
    DeForest is accused of running a bonus program – paying players for specific plays – as recently as 2011.

* A environment of academic impropriety, from players not attending class to grade changing to tutors doing work for players.

* Widespread drug abuse and a drug policy that isn’t uniformly administered.

* Hostesses in the Orange Pride program providing sex to recruits.

OSU's senior associate athletic director Kevin Klintworth said that "no eligibility or NCAA concerns regarding current staff or players" are expected. OSU will likely bring in its own investigator to cover its ass, anyway
    Ha, your over-the-top dramatics, whether positive for ou or negative for osu, is always pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Ha, your over-the-top dramatics, whether positive for ou or negative for osu, is always pretty funny.
    You must be like some of the other pokes who are totally oblivious to the severity of these SI allegations
    If you are a poke fan what I have to say would be the very least of my worries.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

How is that over-the-top? All he did was cut and paste from the linked article.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I'm hoping you aren't meaning me?
    OP in this instance refers to Orange Power, not original poster.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    OP in this instance refers to Orange Power, not original poster.
    Duh. It's been a weekend. Stupid cold.

You must be like some of the other pokes who are totally oblivious to the severity of these SI allegations
    If you are a poke fan what I have to say would be the very least of my worries.
    Pretty sure not long ago you were railing on about some since forgotten about controversy that was going to have a severe impact on osu.
    I'm not too worried about this because A) I don't know many facts about the story and B)there is nothing I can do about it. For now ill put this in the same category of the Justin Blackmon allegedly signing autograph story, which came from the same author and which nothing ever came of it.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    How is that over-the-top? All he did was cut and paste from the linked article.
    It was his first 3 paragraphs of his own commentary. Like this will have immediate recruiting effects and NCAA might go after osu hard because Boone is hard to like..? Says maybe fans of competing schools but why would the NCAA have any issue with Boone? Just typical stuff from the biggest ou homer on here

Pickins is a lightning rod, no doubt but I think most of these allegations occured before he became publicly and heavily involved in the program. In most cases the problems are not with boosters at his level but usually with lower level boosters unlike the SMU death penalty era or the Pat Jones era that (according to him) almost had death penalty sanctions. The high visibility boosters tend to know more focus is on them and the consequences harsher. Lower level guys trying to buy their way up tend to operate more like rogue boosters, that is the ones that UT has the most problems policing, the Red McCombs and Joe Jamail types know better.

It was his first 3 paragraphs of his own commentary. Like this will have immediate recruiting effects and NCAA might go after osu hard because Boone is hard to like..? Says maybe fans of competing schools but why would the NCAA have any issue with Boone? Just typical stuff from the biggest ou homer on here
    Pretty sure not long ago you were railing on about some since forgotten about controversy that was going to have a severe impact on osu.
    I'm not too worried about this because A) I don't know many facts about the story and B)there is nothing I can do about it. For now ill put this in the same category of the Justin Blackmon allegedly signing autograph story, which came from the same author and which nothing ever came of it.
    The fact that I am a big OU homer is in no way going to reduce the seriousness of these SI allegations. They were in fact new to this board when I posted them.

I’m drawing on past observations. When your blinded as you are by your own allegiances you would rather lash out at the opinions of others than to take an honest appraisal of the wrong doings of the team you root for.. That's what blind people do, I have seen it before.
    But you can find comfort in blaming the messagengers. Thats something that poke fans like you often do... But forutunatly many more matuer poke fans undersand how serious this is. They remember the poke probations of the late 80's that set the program back for more than a decade... We will see what happens.... but the thing that poke fans like you need to do is to let this soak in real good and understand that these alagations are a lot more serious than what the pokes did back in the 80's when the poke received what was then claimed to be the second worst probation in NCAA history.

No one questioned the seriousness of the allegations. But if I were a homer of another sports program I'd be careful I wasn't living in a glass house before tossing too many rocks around..

The fact that I am a big OU homer is in no way going to reduce the seriousness of these SI allegations. They were in fact new to this board when I posted them.

I’m drawing on past observations. When your blinded as you are by your own allegiances you would rather lash out at the opinions of others than to take an honest appraisal of the wrong doings of the team you root for.. That's what blind people do, I have seen it before.
    But you can find comfort in blaming the messagengers. Thats something that poke fans like you often do... But forutunatly many more matuer poke fans undersand how serious this is. They remember the poke probations of the late 80's that set the program back for more than a decade... We will see what happens.... but the thing that poke fans like you need to do is to let this soak in real good and understand that these alagations are a lot more serious than what the pokes did back in the 80's when the poke received what was then claimed to be the second worst probation in NCAA history.
    This post is funny for all kinds of reasons, your seriousness, your grammar...

But tell you what, Ill try to be a mature poke fan, let this soak this in and spend most of my time thinking about it...

This post is funny for all kinds of reasons, your seriousness, your grammar...

But tell you what, Ill try to be a mature poke fan, let this soak this in and spend most of my time thinking about it...
    Your argument is weak
    Your sensitive feelings should try reading this entire threat of poke opinions.
    A few are obviously a lot smarter than you and understand what the pokes face.
    Maybe if it comes from your own clan you will start believing it?

Scout.com: sports illustrated for next week

There's another big uo homer named Dean Blevins that doesn't think anything big will come out of this. That doesn't mean nothing will happen. As Dean stated...the statute of limitations is the biggest thing in this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    There's another big uo homer named Dean Blevins that doesn't think anything big will come out of this. That doesn't mean nothing will happen. As Dean stated...the statute of limitations is the biggest thing in this deal.
    I guess that depends on what your definition of big is. Any kind of sanctions for OSU or any current employees are very unlikely. It could certainly have a big impact on anyone who was there at the time who might have been involved though if anything turns out to be true.

Your argument is weak
    Your sensitive feelings should try reading this entire threat of poke opinions.
    A few are obviously a lot smarter than you and understand what the pokes face.
    Maybe if it comes from your own clan you will start believing it?

Scout.com: sports illustrated for next week
    My argument is weak because Im not presenting any argument. You seem to be the only one trying to argue. I only pointed out your dramatic rundown of an article that has yet to be published.

I never understood punishing players who had nothing to do with the infractions is supposed to be justice. Go afrer the coaches no matter where they are at and punish them. Not sure what can be done to a booster.

Bob Barry JR said this morning on WWLS that a source told him that the allegations against OSU will be worse than Miami

On WWLS Pat Jones said that this is going to read worse than Miami.
    Jones said don't shoot the messenger.
    Jones said let this play out.
    Jones said the NCAA can go back as far as they want if they think there is a pattern.
    Jones said people who work for university are required to talk.
    Jones said Gundy is not a crook and says that he doesn’t think Miles is either.
    Jones said that he has experience dealing with this type of stuff
    Jones indicates that he his keeping score on the loyalty of OSU people. (wow)
    Jones said it can effect the program when there is a (long) pattern
    Jones said don't be naive about this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I never understood punishing players who had nothing to do with the infractions is supposed to be justice. Go afrer the coaches no matter where they are at and punish them. Not sure what can be done to a booster.
    I wonder if it would be possible to go after boosters on some sort of prostitution procuring charge if those allegations can be proven. They are nothing more than de facto pimps for the prized recruits. Not really sure, but they are the primary problem and there are rarely consequences for them.

Jones said don't be naive about this.
    Remember that when "Crimson Pride" is called on the carpet....

I wonder why this stuff never came up when OSU was 7-5 or 6-6. It is too bad this stuff will tarnish a remarkable run for them if these allegations are true. Oh well.....

23. Default Re: Oklahoma State next up for NCAA sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    the statute of limitations is the biggest thing in this deal.
    No, the biggest thing is that these things happened (if true). Whether or not the statute of limitations has run out or not, these allegations are serious and embarrassing.

Also, since there is continuity in the leadership (same AD and head coach since 2004/05) statute of limitations may not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    I wonder if it would be possible to go after boosters on some sort of prostitution procuring charge if those allegations can be proven. They are nothing more than de facto pimps for the prized recruits. Not really sure, but they are the primary problem and there are rarely consequences for them.
    I think there should be either state or federal laws that holds a booster criminally liable if they violate the rules.

Thread Information