Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

I understand but my larger point is that more lanes don’t equal more traffic. Lane and infrastructure expansion suits demand. If a lane becomes clogged after opening than latent demand is more likely at play indicating larger regional issues. Edmond isn’t at the point and won’t be for awhile. Six laning roads like Kelly, Danforth, 2nd, Bryant, etc. would absolutely help traffic flow just as much as better intersections would. It’s also prudent but doing one without the other will change some but how much is question.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Six laning roads like Kelly, Danforth, 2nd, Bryant, etc. would absolutely help traffic flow just as much as better intersections would. It’s also prudent but doing one without the other will change some but how much is question.
    Something as basic as just putting in a dedicated center turn lane on Edmond Road between Broadway to west city limits would do wonders. The same could be said for Danforth from Chowning to west city limits/Santa Fe. Also, dedicated right turn lanes at intersections and business entrances would help traffic flow around the city.

However, Edmond Road and Danforth both have businesses and residences nearly backed up already on a very skinny four lane road, I have no idea how they would be able to add six lanes, let alone a dedicated center turn lane without really encroaching upon property.

Also, I think having the majority of your retail/restaurant in the middle/core has hurt traffic flow. You see most development happening from 33rd north to Danforth and from Kelley to Bryant. You have essentially forced the entire population of 95,000 residents to shop, dine, etc within an estimated 10 sq miles.
    IMO, more development needs to happen on the fringe to alleviate this.

Its not just the population of Edmond (those in Edmond city limits) but others from areas to the west who come in to shop, eat out, etc. Also add in the people who live out east of Edmond, or north (those in Luther, Welston, Guthrie etc) and those who work in Edmond or go to UCO then you get a picture that is more then the "95,000" residents. As the area east of I 35 grows then even more people. Ops you need to include those in areas north of Waterloo in southern Logan county to the mix. The roads where designed for a city of 20 to 30K not 100K plus.

My two or three cents. I 35 should have been planned for having service roads on both sides from Memorial to Waterloo. The areas on both sides for a mile (or at least the half mile) should have been planned for heavier zoning such as retail and multifamily etc and not for single family. This would have helped somewhat with the traffic issues. The old downtown and old main arterial streets would have presented issues. If the focus would have been to draw more of the traffic to newer areas planned for more traffic flow, then there would have been issues. Waterloo east and west of I35 as well as Covell should have been planned for 6 lanes (3 each direction) Currently the Covell parkway idea is for it to continue east of I35 to Douglas, Douglas to Waterloo and then back to I-35

Agreed, agreed, agreed. All of your points. ��

And if you look at true city limits, Edmond goes further north than many think, and way further east. I was glad to see the NE Edmond 2050 planning survey come out, but I feel like it's about 10 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    My two or three cents. I 35 should have been planned for having service roads on both sides from Memorial to Waterloo. The areas on both sides for a mile (or at least the half mile) should have been planned for heavier zoning such as retail and multifamily etc and not for single family. This would have helped somewhat with the traffic issues. The old downtown and old main arterial streets would have presented issues. If the focus would have been to draw more of the traffic to newer areas planned for more traffic flow, then there would have been issues. Waterloo east and west of I35 as well as Covell should have been planned for 6 lanes (3 each direction) Currently the Covell parkway idea is for it to continue east of I35 to Douglas, Douglas to Waterloo and then back to I-35
    They are going to extend the service roads to Waterloo. I also believe Edmond is working on a plan to allowed increase density along I-35.

The problem is that they will have to buy out some expensive homes in the process. I did see the plan but when it comes down to buying out homes north of $350K to over $500K per home, well you understand what I am saying. They will be buying out whole neighborhoods.Not sure if this will fly.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    Agreed, agreed, agreed. All of your points. ��

And if you look at true city limits, Edmond goes further north than many think, and way further east. I was glad to see the NE Edmond 2050 planning survey come out, but I feel like it's about 10 years too late.
    Not 10 yrs too late but 30 to 40 yrs too late. I live on the east side and have been talking about this and only got, the east side will only be large acreages because its too expensive to extend utilities. Yes I was at the planning commission meeting when the Frankforts wanted single family on their mile sections and said they will pay for the utilities. It was a kind of shock to the commission members. I kept telling people in the city that the center of Edmond is not Broadway but I -35 and get ready for growth east.

The problem is that they will have to buy out some expensive homes in the process. I did see the plan but when it comes down to buying out homes north of $350K to over $500K per home, well you understand what I am saying. They will be buying out whole neighborhoods.Not sure if this will fly.
    Then it will be protested and Edmond will become a traffic hellhole. So that’s that if it becomes the case.

I predict that the old central area of Edmond will be an even more a traffic nightmare. I can say that I've been there done that. The UCO traffic at least in years past was a nightmare, since I am retired I try to say out of the area during morning, noon and evening rush hours. When you add the folks from north parts of Edmond, southern Logan county, east side, west side as they build out, it will only get much worst. I don't see any realistic ways to really improve the mess. Too late for that by about 40 yrs or so.

Its not just the population of Edmond (those in Edmond city limits) but others from areas to the west who come in to shop, eat out, etc. Also add in the people who live out east of Edmond, or north (those in Luther, Welston, Guthrie etc) and those who work in Edmond or go to UCO then you get a picture that is more then the "95,000" residents. As the area east of I 35 grows then even more people. Ops you need to include those in areas north of Waterloo in southern Logan county to the mix. The roads where designed for a city of 20 to 30K not 100K plus.
    I moved to Edmond in 1972 (5th grade), maybe 20,000 people and it was 35K by 1980. There was zero vision back then. All the original one lane roads west of Broadway should have been expanded to 5 lanes everywhere similar to Western between Edmond Road and 15th street ( 164th ). Five mile radius from 33rd & Bdwy is more like 125K when you take into consideration what is known as West Edmond. It's pathetic how bad getting around Edmond has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvershoes View Post
    I moved to Edmond in 1972 (5th grade), maybe 20,000 people and it was 35K by 1980. There was zero vision back then. All the original one lane roads west of Broadway should have been expanded to 5 lanes everywhere similar to Western between Edmond Road and 15th street ( 164th ). Five mile radius from 33rd & Bdwy is more like 125K when you take into consideration what is known as West Edmond. It's pathetic how bad getting around Edmond has become.
    Maybe part of the problem is that it's a trifecta of jurisdictions. "West Edmond" usually includes far Northwest Oklahoma City and Deer Creek Schools. Go to any of the neighborhood facebook/nextdoor pages for these neighborhoods and you'll see those complain about a problem to the City of Edmond, all while they actually reside in Oklahoma City.

Edmond city limits end about half a mile past Santa Fe on 178th and divide down 15th/164th. Many who claim they live in Edmond (because they have an Edmond mail address) actually live in OKC with blue trash cans, OKC water, etc.

FOX 25 did an entertaining story on this with Mayor Holt: https://okcfox.com/news/local/where-...is-complicated

The 1x1 grid system with no major east west highway or expressways greatly complicates matters as new, densely populated neighborhoods continue to build north and west. If ODOT had the money, Hefner Parkway/Portland should have been extended to 192nd with controlled access (no stoplights) to aid in north/south traffic. Right now this ends at 150th.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    The 1x1 grid system with no major east west highway or expressways greatly complicates matters as new, densely populated neighborhoods continue to build north and west. If ODOT had the money, Hefner Parkway/Portland should have been extended to 192nd with controlled access (no stoplights) to aid in north/south traffic. Right now this ends at 150th.
    At one time, ODOT had planned on taking it a controlled access way further north, but cited "cost" as they always do so they downgraded it to what you see. Those lights, man they are awful. I often find myself stopping at every single dang light which makes the roadway no better than using May or Penn which I've always done and will continue to do. These "smart" traffic systems here in Oklahoma are a joke. But really, 74 is now just wider with a median. ODOT and OKC really squandered a good opportunity there to really help better the traffic situation for the building population out that way.

Maybe part of the problem is that it's a trifecta of jurisdictions. "West Edmond" usually includes far Northwest Oklahoma City and Deer Creek Schools. Go to any of the neighborhood facebook/nextdoor pages for these neighborhoods and you'll see those complain about a problem to the City of Edmond, all while they actually reside in Oklahoma City.

Edmond city limits end about half a mile past Santa Fe on 178th and divide down 15th/164th. Many who claim they live in Edmond (because they have an Edmond mail address) actually live in OKC with blue trash cans, OKC water, etc.

FOX 25 did an entertaining story on this with Mayor Holt: https://okcfox.com/news/local/where-...is-complicated

the long term plan is making 74 controlled access all the way to waterloo

I wish "Deer Creek" would just vote to annex into Edmond officially. Keep the schools, their fire department (which is a clone of EFD if not better) and water, and just add streets, sanitation and police services (would replace the dedicated DC Deputy's the county can't pay staffing for). Then they could say they live in Edmond, and mean it while the city would be able to pool funding to provide services to the functional population that actually uses the city and services day to day.

Hollywood I will take offence that you said that Deer Creek could be better. Sorry but nope. We the best. I'm a retired Edmond firefighter.

Heads up, Kelly and 33rd will have its concrete pavement reconstructed— a much needed project if you ask me.

EDMOND, Okla. (KFOR) – Drivers in Edmond may need to change their morning routine due to an upcoming road construction project.

Beginning on Wednesday, April 14, contractors will reconstruct the concrete intersection at 33rd St. and Kelly Ave.
    Read more here: https://kfor.com/news/local/construc...-intersection/

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Heads up, Kelly and 33rd will have its concrete pavement reconstructed— a much needed project if you ask me.

Read more here: https://kfor.com/news/local/construc...-intersection/
    Agreed - very much needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Agreed - very much needed.
    They are just replacing bad concrete panels. I wanted them to tear it out and expand the westbound left turn lane from one to 2 so it would quit backing up traffic.

I know it's OKC but they REALLY need to address Kelley south of 150th. Terrible ruts and no dedicated center turn lane. That heavy industrial traffic is shredding that asphalt.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    They are just replacing bad concrete panels. I wanted them to tear it out and expand the westbound left turn lane from one to 2 so it would quit backing up traffic.

I know it's OKC but they REALLY need to address Kelley south of 150th. Terrible ruts and no dedicated center turn lane. That heavy industrial traffic is shredding that asphalt.
    Dang, I was hoping that was what they were going to fix!

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post

That section of roadway is Edmond. It is all the way south until you reach the area of the cement company. Oklahoma City’s limits begin at the west curb line along that section.

2nd St/Bryant intersection construction set to start next week:

“ Construction Set to Begin at Second Street & Bryant Avenue
    On Monday, June 21st, construction will begin on improvements at the intersection of Second Street and Bryant Avenue. This work is expected to last approximately twelve months with cooperative weather.

During this project, the intersection will be widened to better accommodate regular traffic volumes in the area. After completion, each direction of two-lane traffic will be complemented with dual left turn lanes and a right turn lane.

Varying lane closures will take place throughout the entirety of the project. Both roadways will have reduced lanes in each direction except for the upcoming 4th of July weekend. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes as necessary, but residents are still encouraged to support the businesses in the area.

This contractor for the project Crossland Heavy Contractors. The total cost is $7,478,800 with the City of Edmond providing 100% of the funding.”

- https://www.edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=836

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    That section of roadway is Edmond. It is all the way south until you reach the area of the cement company. Oklahoma City’s limits begin at the west curb line along that section.
    That is probably a very low priority for the city unfortunately. Edmond should work with OKC to grade separate the road from RR, add a divided median with reconstructed concrete roadway, and as rte66man said, widen the intersection at Kelly and 33rd.

I suspect Edmond feels as most citizens will chalk this up as being an issue with OKC. Edmond is going to have find to a way to increase its road budget soon. Maybe as traffic gets worse it will be an easier sell to frustrated citizens.

This isn’t a huge project but I’ll add it here anyways:

“ Douglas Boulevard Reconstruction Begins Monday, June 7
    Work to reconstruct a section of Douglas Boulevard will begin on Monday, June 7. The project is expected to take approximately 60 days with cooperative weather.

The area of Douglas Boulevard to be reconstructed is between Covell Road and Coffee Creek Road. The road will remain open during this project, but motorists should expect periodic closures and various lane shifts. Delays should be expected, and motorists are encouraged to find an alternate route if possible.

This project is being conducted by Oklahoma County District #3 through an interlocal agreement with the City of Edmond. The total cost for the project is $420,000 and funded from the City of Edmond Street & Alley Fund.”

- https://www.edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=833

Thread Information