Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

an update to the 2015 year and the only project they have listed at the moment.

Federal funding has been secured which is good.

2015 Construction Projects
    Covell Widening, Fairfax to I-35 Southbound on/off ramp
    This project will widen Covell to a four-lane divided roadway. There will be a section of widening east of Sooner six lanes wide to accommodate future commercial development. There will be left and right turn lanes at major commercial driveways. The project also includes widening the intersection of Covell and Sooner and will include a signal light as well as street lighting throughout the project

Estimated construction cost is $10,455,267.77. The City has secured 56% Federal funds in the amount of $5,905,800 with 44% of City funds in the amount of $4,549,467.77. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - 2015 Construction Projects

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    an update to the 2015 year and the only project they have listed at the moment.

Federal funding has been secured which is good.
    Cool, that will be a nice improvement. I am sure they will fix the drainage in that area at the same time which will be nice. Every time it rains there is a small stream over sooner and covell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Cool, that will be a nice improvement. I am sure they will fix the drainage in that area at the same time which will be nice. Every time it rains there is a small stream over sooner and covell.
    Yeah, it can also turn into a river pretty quick to lol

I'll believe it when I see it. They are still sticking in traffic lights wherever they can it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. They are still sticking in traffic lights wherever they can it seems.
    The article never claims they're putting in less signals. Just that the upgraded system should help improve flow. That being said, I don't have too many complaints about Edmond's traffic flows. Yeah, at peak hours, there are some issues, especially along 2nd when UCO is getting out. But I could say the same about any city.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The article never claims they're putting in less signals. Just that the upgraded system should help improve flow. That being said, I don't have too many complaints about Edmond's traffic flows. Yeah, at peak hours, there are some issues, especially along 2nd when UCO is getting out. But I could say the same about any city.
    Edmond's traffic flow is among-st the worst I've seen. The planning is ridiculous. From what I've seen, they plan on adding around 6 new stop lights around the new Covell/I-35 development.

There are way too many stop lights in Edmond as it is.

Here is an update from the city's website about the new 'intelligent' traffic system.

Intelligent Transportation System Construction to Begin

Beginning Monday, August 25th, crews will be working along Second Street/Edmond Road to install Phase I of the Intelligent Transportation System (ITS). Motorists may experience delays during temporary lane closures and are asked to be aware of road workers throughout the project.

The project consists of replacing 21 traffic signal cabinets and controllers along Second Street/Edmond Road from Santa Fe Ave. east to Saints Boulevard. The new equipment will start to bring Edmond’s traffic signals into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards.

Work will include installation of fiber optic cable on Second Street/Edmond Road and a wireless radio system at four water towers throughout the City. Also included are new vehicle detection systems, CCTV camera system, battery backup system, audible pedestrian system and flashing yellow arrows for some left turn movements. The intersections will all connect to a new, centralized Traffic Management Center.

Work will begin on the west end of the project at the intersection of Edmond Road and Santa Fe and work to the east. Contractor will be switching cabinets and controllers only between the hours of 10:00 pm on Saturdays thru 10:00 pm on Sundays in an effort to minimize delays to motorists.

The contract for this project is administered and inspected by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT). Work is scheduled for 360 calendar days and will be performed by Midstate Traffic Controls, Inc. at a cost of $3,041,862.75 (80% funded by federal dollars and 20% city funds).

- Edmond, OK - Official Website

Edmond's traffic flow is among-st the worst I've seen. The planning is ridiculous. From what I've seen, they plan on adding around 6 new stop lights around the new Covell/I-35 development.

There are way too many stop lights in Edmond as it is.
    I'd be interested in a direct count comparison. Have you counted the number of lights on Western from Reno to 36th? Or on 39th through Bethany? Or many other areas. If folks are comparing using the interstates with crossing Edmond, they're not getting an equal comparison.

I'd be interested in a direct count comparison. Have you counted the number of lights on Western from Reno to 36th? Or on 39th through Bethany? Or many other areas. If folks are comparing using the interstates with crossing Edmond, they're not getting an equal comparison.
    Well, I will tell you that I do NOT think OKC is a good model for traffic movement.

Dallas, or namely Frisco, Richardson, and Plano, have a great light system. They all have the synchronized lights that monitor car traffic similar to what Edmond is getting, but at night the low traffic lights turn to a blinking yellow for the main road and a red blinking for the smaller road. Meanwhile, the lower priority roads also have a longer red light than higher traffic ones do.

In Edmond, if traffic dissipates for even 5 seconds, the sensor changes in favor of the lower traffic road(Pet Smart?Home Depot light) turning the light red to high traffic road(Broadway) completely stopping traffic. It slows people down on a major arterial street and it also reduces gas mileage.

Another thing I love about the Dallas area streets are higher speed limits. Broadway could easily be upped to 50MPH right past second street. The speed limits in Edmond are extremely low.

Through the new Covell construction, they've added three new lights at every half mile that change the instant you pull up to them. Covell is another street that could easily support a higher speed limit especially seeing as how wide the lanes are.

Broadway could easily be upped to 50MPH right past second street.
    Uhg no. I was with you (and these are issues that the new system might address) until here. 35 is plenty high, and as it is, pulling out onto Broadway or trying to cross it to make a left hand turn from 4th or 5th (or, god forbid, cross on foot) is a nightmare. There's no reason for ANY city to have a 50MPH speed limit on a street like broadway.

Uhg no. I was with you (and these are issues that the new system might address) until here. 35 is plenty high, and as it is, pulling out onto Broadway or trying to cross it to make a left hand turn from 4th or 5th (or, god forbid, cross on foot) is a nightmare. There's no reason for ANY city to have a 50MPH speed limit on a street like broadway.
    well, hopefully we at least agree on the light situation.

Here is an update from the city's website about the new 'intelligent' traffic system.
    Assuming they ever get there, I'm really curious about how this might affect the traffic up and down Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Assuming they ever get there, I'm really curious about how this might affect the traffic up and down Broadway.
    Not sure, but Broadway is in the plans. It is listed as phase two.

Phase 2, Intelligent Transportation System Broadway, Danforth, Covell, Santa Fe Corridor Project
    This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 26 intersections on Broadway - 9th to Comfort, Danforth – Boulevard to Sherry, Santa Fe – Covell to Danforth and Covell – Broadway to Marilyn Williams in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.

The estimated construction cost is $2,947,625. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is unknown.

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - Future Construction Projects

For me the speed limit issue really comes down to risk and reward.

For the mile between 2nd and 15th, raising from 35 to 50 would save, at best, assuming perfect constant speed, entering at 50 and exiting at 50 (so no acceleration or deceleration time), and a green light at 9th street, at best a savings of 30 seconds. That's the best time improvement someone could possibly hope for on this stretch. Now let's see what we get in return for that 30 seconds (at best) of savings.

Increased stopping distance -
    Stopping Distances

With dry pavement, the best scenario, and attentive drivers, typical stopping distance at 50mph is 175 feet. Compared with 75ft at 30mph, or 120ft at 40mph. You get into wet pavement and you're looking at 300ft of stopping distance at 50mph. All to save 30 seconds.

And what will increased stopping distance cause? Well, if you do hit a pedestrian, the changes of their surviving go down astronomically.
    Speed Concepts: Informational Guide - FHWA Safety Program

At 30MPH there's a 45% chance of fatality.
    At 40MPH there's a 85% change of fatality.
    At 50 MPH the pedestrian is dead.

So for the savings of 30 seconds (at best), not only have you increased the chance exponentially of hitting a pedestrian, but you've taken away any chance they have of surviving a collision. This doesn't even take into account things like effective visibility distance (which decreases with speed, and issues with cars entering and exiting the roadway).

And again, we're talking about 30 seconds (at best). Even if you include the entire stretch from 2nd street to past 33rd, you're talking a net savings of less than a minute (at best). It just doesn't seem worth it.

I'll address the speed limit issue in a minute. I did read your post Jerry and I stick by my comment.

For me the speed limit issue really comes down to risk and reward.

For the mile between 2nd and 15th, raising from 35 to 50 would save, at best, assuming perfect constant speed, entering at 50 and exiting at 50 (so no acceleration or deceleration time), and a green light at 9th street, at best a savings of 30 seconds. That's the best time improvement someone could possibly hope for on this stretch. Now let's see what we get in return for that 30 seconds (at best) of savings.

Increased stopping distance -
    Stopping Distances

With dry pavement, the best scenario, and attentive drivers, typical stopping distance at 50mph is 175 feet. Compared with 75ft at 30mph, or 120ft at 40mph. You get into wet pavement and you're looking at 300ft of stopping distance at 50mph. All to save 30 seconds.

And what will increased stopping distance cause? Well, if you do hit a pedestrian, the changes of their surviving go down astronomically.
    Speed Concepts: Informational Guide - FHWA Safety Program

At 30MPH there's a 45% chance of fatality.
    At 40MPH there's a 85% change of fatality.
    At 50 MPH the pedestrian is dead.

So for the savings of 30 seconds (at best), not only have you increased the chance exponentially of hitting a pedestrian, but you've taken away any chance they have of surviving a collision. This doesn't even take into account things like effective visibility distance (which decreases with speed, and issues with cars entering and exiting the roadway).

And again, we're talking about 30 seconds (at best). Even if you include the entire stretch from 2nd street to past 33rd, you're talking a net savings of less than a minute (at best). It just doesn't seem worth it.
    Ok, I misstated the street. I meant from 15th onto Broadway ext. I support the speed limit going up to 50MPH. From Second St. to to 15th, raise it to 40MPH.

More cars are being implemented with pedestrian alert features. More safety devices need to be place closer to downtown. Cross walks, pedestrian alert sign, and I even support a special light that stops traffic on 5th St. as I see that area emerging.

Now the 30 seconds thing, that's all fine and dandy. Anyone can use that even to lower the speed limit saying it will only reduce traffic times by 5 seconds and lives will be saved. That argument is just bull to me.

For the speeds and synchronized lights, I would imagine even if you upped the speed limit by a speed that could save you 15 seconds straight through it could ultimately end up saving 1-5 minutes by having lights that can go through their phases faster. A signal changes once every 3 minutes will move traffic much slower than one that changes it every 2:30 on average because traffic will back up and so on.

So for me, the speed limit is already 45MPH, I have never heard of a ped being hit, just upping it 5mph won't even change except the cops won't be able to pull you over for it even though most already go that speed, so traffic will move faster and cycle faster as well. Again, you have to remember, the 30 second thing applies to driving with no obstacles.

The savings of 30 seconds seems worth it to me and it works well in other cities with similar roads, Edmond is just really strict on traffic issues because the cops have nothing else to do.

Again, there are many things you can do here without upping the speed limit. It's just best if all these things work together. I'm sure as Edmond grows and traffic starts to get worse, people will open their minds to other solutions. I've had multiple people note how low the speed limits are here, and I shuttle people around city quite often.

The savings of 30 seconds seems worth it to me and it works well in other cities with similar roads, Edmond is just really strict on traffic issues because the cops have nothing else to do.
    It's not 30 seconds at this point (and that was best possible). Now you're talking 6 seconds at the most. Increasing the accident and fatality odds, while maybe saving 6 seconds, to me is still not a good ROI. I agree there are other things to do, but we are years away from the majority of cars having those better safety and pedestrian friendly features.

And Edmond is inline with other Oklahoma Cities when it comes to speed limits on the roads. Comments about "cops have nothing else to do" really smacks of someone who has been on the wrong side of the law too many times.

It's not 30 seconds at this point (and that was best possible). Now you're talking 6 seconds at the most. Increasing the accident and fatality odds, while maybe saving 6 seconds, to me is still not a good ROI. I agree there are other things to do, but we are years away from the majority of cars having those better safety and pedestrian friendly features.

And Edmond is inline with other Oklahoma Cities when it comes to speed limits on the roads. Comments about "cops have nothing else to do" really smacks of someone who has been on the wrong side of the law too many times.
    I'm not going to hide anything, my driving record isn't exactly a shining example of excellence. That being said, I've have not been in trouble with the law in any way except for minor traffic violations.

Curb & Gutter Repairs to begin next Monday

Work to repair gutters and wheelchair ramps on Boulevard Street is slated to begin Monday, September 15th. The project is expected to take approximately one week with cooperative weather.

This work will be the first phase of several weeks of work to resurface this stretch of road. Subsequent information will be sent out before each phase of work detailing closures and estimated time frames.

The area on Boulevard to be repaired runs from Second Street to Danforth Road. The road will remain open during this time, but motorists should expect intermittent single lane closures and are asked to be aware of road workers throughout the project.

These repairs are part of the scheduled 2014-15 Street Overlay projects for the City of Edmond. Atlas Paving is the contractor for these projects with a total cost of $3,977,174.00

''Phase I, Intelligent Transportation System 2nd Street/Edmond Road Corridor Project
    This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections from Santa Fe Avenue, east to Saints Boulevard in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. The project will also include installation of wireless radios at four of the city water towers. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.

The estimated construction cost is $2,700,000. The funding split will be 80% Federal funds and 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in the fall of 2013''

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - Current Construction Projects
    August 2014 Update: Contract time began on Monday August 25, 2014. Contractor is currently trenching and boring for conduit installation at Edmond Rd and Santa Fe and working to the east.

''Kelly, north of Covell to south of Coffee Creek
    The Kelly Avenue parkway road construction project will begin Wednesday, July 17, 2013. The Kelly Avenue widening will start approximately 1000 feet north of Covell and will continue north to a point 350 feet south of Coffee Creek. The street will be widened to provide a four-lane divided roadway with left turns at all public streets. There will be a new traffic signal light at Kelly and Prairie Village Drive which will also serve as an additional access point into Mitch Park, Mathis Skate Park, and Cheyenne Middle School. The project also includes street lighting and landscaping. There will be 5 foot wide sidewalks on both sides of Kelly.

The first phase of the project is to construct a new bridge just south of Coffee Creek adjacent to the Coffee Creek Golf Course. This will require the closing of Kelly Avenue to through traffic. Local traffic will have access to Hunters Pointe, Hunters Creek, Prairie Village and Coffee Creek Additions from the south end of the project via Covell, while the Villas at Hunters Creek Addition and the Coffee Creek Golf Course will have access from the north end of the project via Coffee Creek. It is anticipated that phase one will require 125 days to complete at which time the road will re-open to through traffic while work on the rest of Kelly will proceed. Formal detour route signs will be posted.

The Oklahoma Department on Transportation (ODOT) awarded the project to Duit Construction Company of Edmond in the amount of $5,934,304. Project funding is 80% federal funds and 20% city funds. ODOT will administer and inspect the project. Edmond will have personnel available on the job site as necessary. The total project duration is 250 calendar days.

Periodic lane closures may be necessary for some of the construction activity. Motorists are advised to use extreme caution and obey traffic signs and flagmen while traveling through the work zone as workers and equipment will be present''

August 2014 Update: Utility companies continue with relocation of lines to accommodate the upcoming roadway construction. Utility companies should be finished by October 1, 2014.

Covell Parkway update

A redesign of the intersections of Covell and Bryant and Covell and Santa Fe with additional turn lanes has been identified as a priority by the City Council, City Engineer Steve Manek said at this week’s meeting of the Capital Improvements and Financing Task Force.

The City Council in June directed staff to move forward on these projects with interim fixes to add turn lanes at an amount not to exceed $580,000 in design consulting fees.

The task force voted 5-0 in favor of recommending to the City Council approval of the consulting fees. Triad Design Group serves as the city’s consultant for the Covell corridor. Triad would be held to a time frame for each phase of the project.

“We got the consultants’ first blush attempt for design fees for the many millions of dollars of roadway construction last week,” Manek said. “It’s also a process to negotiate fees with engineers and so far we’ve been able to remove $22,000 in design fees.”

The point is to come up with a set of plans to install turn lanes at the two Covell intersections, and then plan for applications for federal dollars at 80 percent of the cost to pay for road construction east on Covell beyond the interstate to Air Depot.

- read much more here: Task force approves Covell design funds - The Edmond Sun: News

Coffee Creek Road Reconstruction set to begin this week

Work to reconstruct a one mile section of Coffee Creek Road is slated to begin this week. The project is expected to take approximately two months to complete with cooperative weather.

The area of Coffee Creek Road to be reconstructed is from Post Road to Westminster Road. The road will remain open during this time, but will be limited to local traffic only at times.

This reconstruction is being conducted by Oklahoma County District #3 through an interlocal agreement with the City of Edmond. The county will supply labor and equipment for the job, while the city is providing materials at an estimated cost of $400,000.

Thread Information