Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
I'd be interested in a direct count comparison. Have you counted the number of lights on Western from Reno to 36th? Or on 39th through Bethany? Or many other areas. If folks are comparing using the interstates with crossing Edmond, they're not getting an equal comparison.
Well, I will tell you that I do NOT think OKC is a good model for traffic movement.

Dallas, or namely Frisco, Richardson, and Plano, have a great light system. They all have the synchronized lights that monitor car traffic similar to what Edmond is getting, but at night the low traffic lights turn to a blinking yellow for the main road and a red blinking for the smaller road. Meanwhile, the lower priority roads also have a longer red light than higher traffic ones do.

In Edmond, if traffic dissipates for even 5 seconds, the sensor changes in favor of the lower traffic road(Pet Smart?Home Depot light) turning the light red to high traffic road(Broadway) completely stopping traffic. It slows people down on a major arterial street and it also reduces gas mileage.

Another thing I love about the Dallas area streets are higher speed limits. Broadway could easily be upped to 50MPH right past second street. The speed limits in Edmond are extremely low.

Through the new Covell construction, they've added three new lights at every half mile that change the instant you pull up to them. Covell is another street that could easily support a higher speed limit especially seeing as how wide the lanes are.