Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 91011121314

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    once the light is programmed at coltrane (currently it is blinking red) there won't be any "choked" areas on Covell
    Western and Covell still has a four way stop and is in Edmond City Limits. The area is "choked" often with the various schools and rapid growth in far west Edmond and NW OKC. A light here would do wonders. It's embarrassing that a town the size of Edmond still has four way stops and two lane roads at major 1x1 mile intersections.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Western and Covell still has a four way stop and is in Edmond City Limits. The area is "choked" often with the various schools and rapid growth in far west Edmond and NW OKC. A light here would do wonders. It's embarrassing that a town the size of Edmond still has four way stops and two lane roads at major 1x1 mile intersections.
    This goes all the way back to the 70's when Edmond went from about 12K to 32K during that decade. Zero visions from City Leaders. Every road that was widened should have been 5 lanes, not 4 as most are to deal with the volume. It's pathetic.

Heck, you still have to deal with a train moving East/West on I think 6 roads in this town.

The cost burden of backlogged projects in Edmond now stands at around 150 million dollars and the city is well aware. A proposal is being drafted to dramatically expedite roads projects in the Edmond area which will be a tax increase brought to the ballot for voters to decide. Pick and choose. Higher taxes and less traffic issues or not. Not sure when the city will make it public but I suspect it will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The cost burden of backlogged projects in Edmond now stands at around 150 million dollars and the city is well aware. A proposal is being drafted to dramatically expedite roads projects in the Edmond area which will be a tax increase brought to the ballot for voters to decide. Pick and choose. Higher taxes and less traffic issues or not. Not sure when the city will make it public but I suspect it will be soon.
    Should be a increase in fuel tax costs. Raise the fuel tax by .05 and put directly to roads. Bring the increased sales tax that was used to pay for the un-development of land abutting a park like maps for streets except this would only be Edmond. They need to leave the property taxes alone unless it is for forward thinking on schools because that is another thing Edmond is behind on.

I think this is the only way Edmond ever gets all these road needs addressed..........Similar to MAPS, if you know where the money is going to be spent and that happens, people often will support another penny tax for a given amount of time to address things as important as road improvements/traffic issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jdross1982 View Post
    Should be a increase in fuel tax costs. Raise the fuel tax by .05 and put directly to roads. Bring the increased sales tax that was used to pay for the un-development of land abutting a park like maps for streets except this would only be Edmond. They need to leave the property taxes alone unless it is for forward thinking on schools because that is another thing Edmond is behind on.
    I agree with you, but I don’t think individual cities are allowed to do that in Oklahoma. Unfortunately I think it will either be sales or property tax increase but I don’t know.

I agree with you, but I don’t think individual cities are allowed to do that in Oklahoma. Unfortunately I think it will either be sales or property tax increase but I don’t know.
    My mistake then as I thought (for some reason) it was based on each county/city.

Still think property taxes need to be left for schools and any increase should go to catching up with the explosion of growth in the schools.

Thread Information