Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Hate to be the Debby Downer, but they have plans to add more lights on Covell, including at Uptown Grocery. But I'll agree, all east/west streets would flow much better if they were designed like that small section of Covell with wide lanes, turn inlets, and divided turn lanes.
    No!!!

Edmond traffic engineering is conducive to red light running and road rage.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    No!!!

Edmond traffic engineering is conducive to red light running and road rage.
    You can also attribute that to the roads that only have two lanes each way. This allows for drivers in Edmond who just love to make sure you can’t pass them so they’ll ride next to the car in front of you to keep at or below the speed limit. Usually it’s the latter. Don’t usually see that crap in other cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You can also attribute that to the roads that only have two lanes each way. This allows for drivers in Edmond who just love to make sure you can’t pass them so they’ll ride next to the car in front of you to keep at or below the speed limit. Usually it’s the latter. Don’t usually see that crap in other cities.
    Absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Absolutely right.
    Funny enough I just came across this article:

Oklahoma: Third most likely in the nation to experience drivers speeding up to keep other drivers from switching lanes. Oklahomans are also likely to be tailgated (66%) or honked at (69%).
    - https://kfor.com/news/local/survey-o...EEFkEoFvwfd5uw

Don’t worry though, I’ll make sure to pump those horn numbers up when I get back in a few months.

Hilarious, this is the angry old man thread!

Clint Eastwood “get off my lawn punk”

Edmond short for elderly man?

^^^ lol

7. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

The inevitable process of "turning into your parents"! ��

Now generally speaking, if I see a dbag driving unsafely, this is exactly what I do. I bottle them up for their own safety and the safety of others. I also don't mind watching the occasional one go completely insane and hopefully make an ass of themselves at being temporarily unable to drive unsafely.

--and that said, while I drive conservatively on city streets, on the interstate, I agree it's the height of d-baggery to stay in the left lane unless actively overtaking someone on the right.

US-77 and SH-66 which is basically large segments Broadway and 2nd st. are about to be resurfaced from an ODOT project:

https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ma...8M17dDZblIRWzM

It’s also worth noting that the project to expand SH-66 to 4 lanes from Pops gas station west to the existing four lane segment is underway.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Hate to be the Debby Downer, but they have plans to add more lights on Covell, including at Uptown Grocery. But I'll agree, all east/west streets would flow much better if they were designed like that small section of Covell with wide lanes, turn inlets, and divided turn lanes.
    they finally added the temp light (until the next phase of the Covell Blvd rebuild happens) at Covell and Coltrane ..

it is currently blinking red awaiting programing .. but this will be fantastic for afternoon drivetime traffic

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    they finally added the temp light (until the next phase of the Covell Blvd rebuild happens) at Covell and Coltrane ..

it is currently blinking red awaiting programing .. but this will be fanatic for afternoon drivetime traffic
    They should do the same thing at Danforth and Sooner while we wait for the larger reconstruction project which isn’t set to begin until later this decade now to coincide with ODOTs reconstruction and alignment of the Danforth/I-35 interchange.

I will be interested to see what ODOT proposes as they have stated they intend on extending the service roads to at least Covell and possibly Waterloo. Not sure how that will be done but a realignment of Sooner and a traditional diamond on Danforth would be nice although I don’t see that happening.

Has anyone heard updates on ODOT reworking the I-35 Access roads from two-way, to one-way on each side? I thought I had read 2025...

It's really bad people turning left into/out of SAMS CLUB/ Chick-fila/ B. Wild Wings

Quote Originally Posted by MelOK View Post
    Has anyone heard updates on ODOT reworking the I-35 Access roads from two-way, to one-way on each side? I thought I had read 2025...

It's really bad people turning left into/out of SAMS CLUB/ Chick-fila/ B. Wild Wings
    https://oklahoma.gov/odot/programs-a...work-plan.html

this shows it is now FFY 2024

JP Number 3242508
    I-35: FRONTAGE ROAD MODIFICATIONS FROM MEMORIAL RD, EXT N. 3 MILES TO SH-66 (ROADWAY PORTION)
    Proj. Work Desc. 07:GRADE,DRAIN,BRIDGE & SURFACE
    Programmed FY 2024
    Programmed Amount 10,300,000

JP Number 3242505
    Project Description I-35: FRONTAGE ROAD MODIFICATIONS FROM MEMORIAL RD, EXT N. 3 MILES TO SH-66
    Proj. Work Desc. 07:GRADE,DRAIN,BRIDGE & SURFACE
    Programmed FY 2024
    Programmed Amount 9,270,000

They should do the same thing at Danforth and Sooner while we wait for the larger reconstruction project which isn’t set to begin until later this decade now to coincide with ODOTs reconstruction and alignment of the Danforth/I-35 interchange.

I will be interested to see what ODOT proposes as they have stated they intend on extending the service roads to at least Covell and possibly Waterloo. Not sure how that will be done but a realignment of Sooner and a traditional diamond on Danforth would be nice although I don’t see that happening.
    I have stated in the main transportation thread, but I will say it here too.

I-35 should be widened to at least Waterloo, if not the left lane Guthrie exit (77 north). The service roads should be added all the way up to Waterloo, and each east/west road (Coffee Creek, Sorghum Mill, and possibly Simmons) should have an I-35 exit. I know this would probably cost upwards of $100 million from ODOT to happen, but I think it is needed for the growth occurring in the area. Just imagine if every interchange was as nice as Covell!

For all those complaining about traffic and planned neighborhoods/commercial, this would help alleviate traffic using just THREE exits to reach thousands of homes in the NE Edmond area.

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    I have stated in the main transportation thread, but I will say it here too.

I-35 should be widened to at least Waterloo, if not the left lane Guthrie exit (77 north). The service roads should be added all the way up to Waterloo, and each east/west road (Coffee Creek, Sorghum Mill, and possibly Simmons) should have an I-35 exit. I know this would probably cost upwards of $100 million from ODOT to happen, but I think it is needed for the growth occurring in the area. Just imagine if every interchange was as nice as Covell!

For all those complaining about traffic and planned neighborhoods/commercial, this would help alleviate traffic using just THREE exits to reach thousands of homes in the NE Edmond area.
    I35 widening to the county line has ROW this year Utilities next year and the actual road work scheduled in 2028 ..

as far as coffe creek and sorghum .. no reason for exits at those roads at this time .. but they both get bridge rehab in 2027

waterloo interchange get a full rebuild in 2025 also

I35 widening to the county line has ROW this year Utilities next year and the actual road work scheduled in 2028 ..

as far as coffe creek and sorghum .. no reason for exits at those roads at this time .. but they both get bridge rehab in 2027

The mile roads definitely need interchanges built.

Building an exit/interchange at one of these streets (Coffee Creek or Sorghum) would alleviate a significant load off Covell and allow for growth in the area to drive street expansion. For Coffee Creek to have an exit, the road would need significant repaving but would come at a much reduced cost compared to street expansion.

I think an additional interchange would be invaluable if the Liberty Park development happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I think an additional interchange would be invaluable if the Liberty Park development happens.
    I agree with this if it gets approved a light at Sooner (very soon) and a full I35 interchange would be needed around 10-15 years from now

Now is the time to do them. It will be “needed” so do it while the money is being spent with design work, materials, and personnel. If the bridges are being reworked even more reason to just do it now and be proactive rather reactive. Same with widening the 35. Do it to the Guthrie Split while the work is being done. Inconveniences a lot fewer people now than it will in the future when the work is done five years after the need has established itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Now is the time to do them. It will be “needed” so do it while the money is being spent with design work, materials, and personnel. If the bridges are being reworked even more reason to just do it now and be proactive rather reactive. Same with widening the 35. Do it to the Guthrie Split while the work is being done. Inconveniences a lot fewer people now than it will in the future when the work is done five years after the need has established itself.
    bridge rehab cost 1.5 mil per bridge .. making it an interchange with exits and on ramps would be 30 mil+ per bridge ... 3 mil vs 60-80 mil

Waterloo interchange is 35+ mil for reference ..

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Agreed. Just do it now while it’ll be cheaper and convenient to add them. We know they’re going to be needed 10-20 years down the road and will alleviate at least some of congestion at the choked areas on Covell and Waterloo and Danforth. I would be surprised if ODOT puts them in the corridor plans soon.

Agreed. Just do it now while it’ll be cheaper and convenient to add them. We know they’re going to be needed 10-20 years down the road and will alleviate at least some of congestion at the choked areas on Covell and Waterloo and Danforth. I would be surprised if ODOT puts them in the corridor plans soon.
    once the light is programmed at coltrane (currently it is blinking red) there won't be any "choked" areas on Covell

once the light is programmed at coltrane (currently it is blinking red) there won't be any "choked" areas on Covell
    That’s great for Covell.

Thread Information