Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

1. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Does anyone know if they plan to add traffic lights to the on/off ramps at Covell / I-35? This area continues to get worse, especially at high traffic times or when Francis Tuttle classes let out. It will only get worse as more businesses open up at the interchange.

2. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

For those interested, I asked the City of Edmond via twitter if they planned to put traffic lights here. They responded to me that it was ODOT's responsibility and call because of I-35. So I asked ODOT via twitter. They DM'd me and said it was the City of Edmond's responsibility and that they would clear that up with them.

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    For those interested, I asked the City of Edmond via twitter if they planned to put traffic lights here. They responded to me that it was ODOT's responsibility and call because of I-35. So I asked ODOT via twitter. They DM'd me and said it was the City of Edmond's responsibility and that they would clear that up with them.
    Unbelievable how uncoordinated ODOT, OTA, cities and OG&E are from each other, this is the 21st freaking century, how can they *still* be this stupid?

Does anyone know if they plan to add traffic lights to the on/off ramps at Covell / I-35? This area continues to get worse, especially at high traffic times or when Francis Tuttle classes let out. It will only get worse as more businesses open up at the interchange.
    They put in a light at the golf course that gets ~200 cars a day, what more do you want? Oh and they put in the no U-turn sign so city employees could get out easier, blocking the the ramp traffic even more. Outside of annoyance to city employees, there is no justification for that sign.

I would think it was ODOT's responsibility, since they own the interchanges and they also are who just did all the road improvements right there. The city should be pushing them to install lights though.

According to recent minutes the Covell Parkway has been downgraded from a divided road with a median to no media and the blame is laying on the bike master plan which makes no sense. I really dislike the current mayor and hearing this from him just makes me angry but what can you do. The section between BLVD. and Coltrane will be a typical undivided road with no median.

It appears on this issue I actually agree with the new mayor which is shocking to me:

A good read:

https://www.edmondsun.com/news/local...1a5c4af14.html

Edmond Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It appears on this issue I actually agree with the new mayor which is shocking to me:

A good read:

https://www.edmondsun.com/news/local...1a5c4af14.html
    Same. Keep Covell wide and divided and continue the same design from I-35 to Portland (or just past Santa Fe/city limits)

The current section of Covell between Santa Fe to Blvd/Broadway is so desirable because it is wide, and has a divided median the entire length.

9. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

^^^^^^^^^^ !!

Plus, I'd like to see them give Covell traffic light advantage to make it a primary east-west artery from l-35 to the Parkway.

The traffic projects page has been updated and includes a few new projects I'll list below.

New Projects:

"Covell and Cheyenne Middle School/Uptown Market

This project will construct a traffic signal light at the intersection to provide for safer movements onto Covell Road. This project will be funded using 100% city funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. The estimate cost is $400,000. The anticipated start is Fall 2021.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present contract at upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council.''

"Phase 4, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) on 33rd Street, Boulevard, and Bryant

This project consists of installing 11 miles of fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections on 33rd Street from Broadway to Coltrane and on Boulevard from 33rd to 2nd St and on Bryant from 33rd to 2nd St in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.
    The estimated construction cost is currently unknown. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. After completion of the phase 4 project, 85% of the traffic signals in Edmond will be following the latest standards while the remaining 15% are running off older technology.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present at upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council."

"2nd Street/Edmond Rd ADA improvements

This project consists of reconstructing portions of sidewalks and wheelchair ramps that do not currently meet compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Current construction cost is estimated at $3,807,000. City staff will apply for 80% federal funding with the remaining 20% from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Construction date is currently unknown.

December 2020 update: Staff is negotiating consultant design fees and will present contract at an upcoming Public Works Committee and City Council."

Updated projects:

"Danforth and Sooner

This project consists of widening Danforth and Sooner intersection to include left turn lanes, two through lanes, and where possible right turn lanes. The intersection will be signalized. Retaining walls will be necessary on Danforth west of Sooner due to the existing grades. Estimated construction cost is $9,772,988. This project was approved for $7,500,000 in federal funds with the remaining $2,272,988 in City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The anticipated start date is in 2023/24.

December 2020 update: design is 56% complete. The scope of project has expanded to include widening in front of the Francis Tuttle building with left and right turn lanes and a signal light at School Street which is the main entrance to the Francis Tuttle facility."

"Danforth and Kelly

This project will widen the intersection to a four-lane divided road with dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. A new signal light will be installed and connected to the Traffic Management Center. The project extents will be approximately 1400 feet east, west and south and 500 feet to the north.
    The estimated cost is $6,190,143. The City will receive 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds from the 2000 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. The project is currently listed in federal fiscal 2022.

December 2020 update: The environmental review in under way at the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT). ODOT has this project listed for funding in Federal Fiscal Year 2022."

"2nd and Boulevard

This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes, two through lanes, and a right turn lane for Southbound direction and one left turn lane, two through lanes, and one right turn lane for Northbound direction. No widening will occur on 2nd Street due to limited right-of-way. New signal lights will be installed and connected back to the Traffic Management Center. Current construction estimate is $2,027,300 and will be funded with 100% City funds from the 2017 Capital Improvement Sales Tax Fund. Construction date is currently unknown.

December 2020 update: City was able to secure an easement from the First Christian Church which will allow additional improvements to the westbound direction that were not part of the original contract. Those improvements consist of two through lanes, one left turn lane, and one right turn lane. The existing offset alignment in the westbound direction will be improved. The construction plans are currently 52% complete. Construction is anticipated in 2022."

There is a full comprehensive list here: https://www.edmondok.com/802/Future-...ction-Projects

My opinions, this is a good plan but soooo many of these projects were needed about 10 years ago. The Danforth and Sooner intersection is horrible. I'm also not sure why they feel the need for new traffic signal at the uptown Grocery entrance. I suppose it could help consolidate traffic but they should have intregraterd this entire development with Covell Village Dr. and then the could have moved the main road leading to Mitch and YMCA further east and realign it to match. Instead Edmond will what it typically does and add traffic signals everywhere due to poor planning and slowing traffic.

Edmond also needs to really think about six laning more roads and working with OKDOT to turn parts of Broadway into a freeway and also working to get a new freeway loop around Edmond and NW OKC.

I understand this takes some serious money and I get Edmond in partly in a spot because of restrictive the state is in how they can collect taxes. That needs to be fixed and meanwhile Edmond needs to find way to collect more revenue to spend on roads.

They also have a new section listing "concrete reconstruction projects" and list Kelly and 33rd as one of the intersections to be completely reconstructed. Other smaller projects around the city are listed and they also include peripheral sidewalk improvements fixing some really headscratcher pieces like the photo shown near Chowning and Ayers. I don't even know how sh1t like that happens.

https://www.edmondok.com/DocumentCen...ction-Projects

Instead Edmond will what it typically does and add traffic signals everywhere due to poor planning and slowing traffic.

Edmond also needs to really think about six laning more roads and working with OKDOT to turn parts of Broadway into a freeway and also working to get a new freeway loop around Edmond and NW OKC.
    This.

The lack of future planning and traffic flow around the city is mind boggling. Covell widening, Uptown Grocery and North Lowes were a clean slate, and within ten years the solution to any congested intersection is just put up another stop light? So from Santa Fe to Kelly there will be a total of 4 stop lights?

I have yet to see the benefits of the intelligent light system. It does not matter if I am going east bound or west bound on Covell, I always hit the Thomas Trails stoplight on Covell after Broadway/Kelly.
    The same red light shuffle going southbound on Broadway to the freeway or east/west on 2nd Street from Bryant to Santa Fe. One does not simply drive through Edmond.

I thought the whole point of the Covell widening was to eventually have a wide "expressway" type traffic flow from I35 to Portland/HWY 74? That does not happen with stoplights every 300 yards.

Edmond thinks the solution to every traffic problem is a stop light. The only exception is where they really need them because the intersection isn't safe. The intersection of Homestead Blvd and Danforth has had several accidents yet the city doesn't do anything including marking the road so people know how to turn. I've personally witnessed 3 within the last year or so.

The best thing the city does is make sure stop lights interrupt the traffic flow of major streets so one car can pull out of random strip malls!

Danforth and Kelly

This project will widen the intersection to a four-lane divided road
    Anyone remember when that was a stop sign with 2 lanes each way (and maybe left turn lanes too). No one could figure out when to go because you'd have 8 cars pull up at the same time. I think they upgraded it about the time Walmart went in on Santa Fe.

Yep I used to ride to Danforth and kelly back in the early 80's as in ride horses there and around town.

No I don’t remember that. How long ago was that?

Edmond traffic will never be alleviated because the problem isn’t with stop lights or the amount of lanes. The problem is there is zero grid and all traffic is forced to one through street every mile. You can’t design your way out of that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Edmond traffic will never be alleviated because the problem isn’t with stop lights or the amount of lanes. The problem is there is zero grid and all traffic is forced to one through street every mile. You can’t design your way out of that problem.
    More lanes would easily alleviate much of the congestion. But I’ll wait your strongtowns article about “induced demand” or other bullsh!t akin to that theory.

More lanes would easily alleviate much of the congestion. But I’ll wait your strongtowns article about “induced demand” or other bullsh!t akin to that theory.
    I'm pretty sure that in many cases it's been determined that additional lanes don't always alleviate traffic. I do imagine that adding right turn or double left turn lanes would help if it would allow you to process more traffic through the intersections in one go.

It sounds like the argument is that you need more freeways to get out of town sooner, which doesn't really sound feasible to me. And even though I'm from Edmond and do get annoyed with traffic at times, I still doubt that it's way worse than the average suburb, but I would imagine the city had studies that would have more information on that. It does seem like they are making efforts to improve things by trying the signals together, though it has been a long process.

I also think if there were more exits on I-35 north of 2nd St it would alleviate the congestion. I'm forced to go to Waterloo or down to Covell. You're limited to take 2-3 major thoroughfares, Boulevard/Broadway (N/S) then 2nd, Danforth, Covell (East/West). They have just limited and pushed traffic to the central part of town. It may get worse north and east as those developments keep coming!
    Could you imagine if Portland/74 became more of a highway further north and looped over or had a spur to Seward RD as a northwest loop?

22. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by _Cramer_ View Post
    I also think if there were more exits on I-35 north of 2nd St it would alleviate the congestion. I'm forced to go to Waterloo or down to Covell. You're limited to take 2-3 major thoroughfares, Boulevard/Broadway (N/S) then 2nd, Danforth, Covell (East/West). They have just limited and pushed traffic to the central part of town. It may get worse north and east as those developments keep coming!
    Could you imagine if Portland/74 became more of a highway further north and looped over or had a spur to Seward RD as a northwest loop?
    Oh good Lord! That would be waaaay too smart.

The problem with adding more exits now is that a lot of the land is developed or in the process of being developed with high end homes. This should have been done 20 years ago. Same with a loop from 74 highway to I 35 north of Waterloo. The problem is that it gets way too expensive to buy out homes (high end) vs vacant land.

Quote Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post
    I'm pretty sure that in many cases it's been determined that additional lanes don't always alleviate traffic. I do imagine that adding right turn or double left turn lanes would help if it would allow you to process more traffic through the intersections in one go.

It sounds like the argument is that you need more freeways to get out of town sooner, which doesn't really sound feasible to me. And even though I'm from Edmond and do get annoyed with traffic at times, I still doubt that it's way worse than the average suburb, but I would imagine the city had studies that would have more information on that. It does seem like they are making efforts to improve things by trying the signals together, though it has been a long process.
    Adding turning lanes is adding more lanes. But to your point, yes, adding turning lanes would also alleviate congestion as well. No argument from me there.

Adding turning lanes is adding more lanes. But to your point, yes, adding turning lanes would also alleviate congestion as well. No argument from me there.
    Well, I'm thinking of intersection lanes, not additional lanes that run a whole mile. Maybe that's what you were thinking of as well.

I agree more intersection lanes are a good thing.

Thread Information