Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hmmm. I didn't know that. I don't really use this part of the road that often, so perhaps so. If the traffic is justified, than yeah I say leave it.

Oh, but Memorial does get access to Broadway Ext. Southbound through a cloverleaf ramp.
    PP,
    You are correct, I was specifically talking about Northbound, but I didn't make that clear.
    C. T.

FYI: It didn't happen and Fox News goofed. They need to report a correction.

They must be almost there, when I was driving south out of Edmond this evening the turn lanes were open and in use, they just didn't have the lights timed yet to let NB and SB go through at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The 33rd and Broadway intersection finish date has been pushed back to July due to winter weather.
    ha! what winter weather? what was the original finish date?

From the city website re: 33rd and Broadway...

January 2016 Update: All of the Broadway traffic lanes are built. Contractor will open up the Broadway lanes on Thursday January 21. The signal light configuration on Broadway will change to concurrent timing which will reduce the current delay time. Contractor continues with soil work, drainage pipes and installation of retaining wall on south side of 33rd Street. Traffic will continue to be one lane in both directions on the north side of 33rd Street.
    I'll have to check out the intersection this weekend. I don't quite understand how they will open up the lanes while at the same time keeping traffic one lane in both directions....

edit: reread it... one lane on 33rd street going east and west, using north half... I believe... is what they are saying. So N/S bound traffic through the intersection is fully open maybe?

Yeah, I think the lights were even timed concurrently for it when I drove through this morning. Works great for me, I only even tend to go north/south through that intersection and never west or east.

Bryant Road lane closure set for Tuesday | News | edmondsun.com

"Plumbing contractors working for CVS will require a lane closure of Bryant Road beginning at 8 a.m. Tuesday. The project is expected to last through the day with completion by 6 p.m."

What I've driven past or through in the last couple of days:

Construction on Bryant between 2nd and 15th, Construction on 15th east of Broadway, and the whole mess at the Broadway and 33rd intersection and the construction continues on eastward. Am I leaving anything out? You really have to want or need to get somewhere in Edmond to dare get out and try to drive around town. Several of the major roads in Edmond are torn up and will cause you a major delay.

^^ And what's annoying is that the 15th and Broadway construction seems to have been unadvertised (at least from what I've seen). I went and looked for it on the city's construction projects list, and didn't see it. The Bryant work was communicated repeatedly on my Neighborhood app, at least.

I get text notifications when they post on the city website and got one last Thursday for 15th/Broadway. I'm pretty sure I saw it the same day on Nextdoor (neighborhood app).

I must have missed it then.

I did finally find it on their site. It's not listed on the road construction pages that I could see, but they had it under the news releases...

Edmond, OK - Official Website

13. Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

I don't have a problem with them working on 15th, but they should have waited until the 33rd/Broadway intersection was done. For those who try to avoid the construction getting across town right now you can't use 33rd (construction/1 lane), 15th (construction/1 lane), or much of the day 2nd (traffic nightmare from Bryant to Fretz). So right now it's either Danforth or Memorial/Kilpatrick.

It was really poor planning/timing to do 15th now.

Looks like the work at 15th street is finished. They were removing the road signs this morning as I drove through the intersection. So while inconvenient, at least it was quick.

Covell and I-35 road construction is about to start:

Covell Road Widening from Fairfax Boulevard to I-35 Set to Begin

On Monday, June 13th, construction will begin to widen Covell Road from Fairfax Boulevard to I-35. Widening will also occur on Sooner Road from 1000 feet north to 1000 feet south of Covell Road. This work is expected to last 310 calendar days with cooperative weather.

During this project, the following improvements will be made:

1. Roads in the project area will become four-lane divided concrete roadways to the north, south and west of the Covell & Sooner intersection.
    2. Covell will become a six-lane divided concrete roadway between Sooner and I-35.
    3. Left and right turn lanes will be constructed at Covell & Sooner as well as other major driveway locations.
    4. Signal lights will be installed along Covell at the intersections of Fairfax Boulevard, Sooner Road and Market Place.
    5. Ten foot wide multi-use paths will be constructed on both sides of the street.
    6. Decorative street lighting will be installed throughout the limits of the project.
    7. 7000 feet of drainage pipes and fifty new drainage grates will be installed.
    8. The intersection of Covell & Sooner will be raised approximately seven feet in elevation.

The road will remain open during construction, however temporary lanes will be built to accommodate construction activities. The speed limit will be reduced to 35 mph for the entire limits and duration of the project. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes as necessary.

This project is being administered and inspected by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) with Allen Contracting Inc. selected as the contractor. The total cost is $12,499,405.26 with ODOT providing 47% of the funding ($5,905,800.00) and the City of Edmond providing 53% of the funding ($6,593,605.26). The City of Edmond will have a representative available to discuss any pending issues/concerns with ODOT or Allen Contracting.

- http://edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=433

Sooner Rd. is closing for 3 weeks.

http://edmondok.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=446

They city has plans to widen Covell further east and convert the 4 way stop to a signalized intersection at Covell and Midwest BLVD. It will likely be divided and designed like the new sections of Covell. It will extend 1/4 mile to the east. Midwest BLVD. will also be widened slightly to the north and half mile to the south. This work is for the new high school.

Are you sure Midwest? the high school is going in at Air Depot. Also the plan over time is to widen Covel (think Covel Parkway at Covel and Kelly with a 90' from center line rightaway) to Douglas Blvd, up Douglas to Waterloo and then over to I-35. I think the time line is around 10-12 yrs.

Air Depot. You’re right. Sorry I was really tired last night(mid terms and work lol).

Edmond has updated their road construction information section on the city website. I will list major updates...

This year:

Phase 2, Intelligent Transportation System on Broadway, Danforth, Covell, and Santa Fe.

This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 26 intersections on Broadway - 9th to Comfort, Danforth ˝ Boulevard to Sherry, Santa Fe ˝ Covell to Danforth and Covell ˝ Broadway to Marilyn Williams in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.

The estimated construction cost is $4,217,511.25. The City will receive 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in the Summer of 2018.

Thomas Re-alignmen​t
    This project will widen and re-align the south portion of Thomas to the east, adjacent to the railroad tracks. This will allow the school parking lot to be contiguous and will eliminate the need for pedestrians to cross Thomas to get to the school property making it a safer environment for students and motorists.

The estimated cost is $3,000,000 and will be funded with 100% City funds. The anticipated start date is summer 2018.

2nd and Bryant Intersection

This project consists of adding dual left turn lanes for all four directions as well as a single right turn lane for all four directions. New signal lights will be included. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements.

The estimated construction cost is $2,027,300.24. The City will fund this project with 100% City funds. The anticipated start date is Spring 2019.

2nd and Boulevard

This project will widen north/south on Boulevard to provide for dual left turn lanes. New signal light will be included.

The estimated construction cost is $919,323.00. The City will fund this project with 100% City funds. The anticipated start date is Spring 2019.

** My notes: I think a signal light at 5th St. and eventually 4th St. are warranted here or will be in the future with all of the recent developments.

Covell, Broadway to Fairfax

This project will widen Covell to provide for a four lane divided roadway.
    There will be left turn lanes at all side streets. Covell will also include street lighting and 10 foot wide multi-use paths/sidewalks.

The estimated construction cost is $6,000,000. The City will fund this project with 100% City funds. The anticipated start date is Fall 2019.

**My notes: This is a big project and I'm excited for it. I have to say, I'm impressed Edmond is planning to take all of this on at once. 100% city funded I'd say this will be the biggest project they've undertaken, if I'm wrong please let me know. I suspect the cost might be a little higher and I will be surprised if they do in fact go after this whole stretch at once but it would be welcome in my eyes. The original plan was only Fairfax to Coltrane, but I suspect with all of the recent development planned, the pressure increased to get this project done now.

Danforth and Kelly

This project will widen the intersection to a four lane divided road with dual left turn lanes and separate right turn lanes. The project extents will be approx 1400 feet east, west and south and 500 feet to the north.

The estimated cost is $5,030,013.81. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in 2020.

Danforth Widening, Thomas to Fretz

This project will widen Danforth to a five lane roadway with an EB left turn lane into Edmond North High School and an EB left turn lane at Thomas. The project includes a signal light at Danforth and Thomas.

The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with the remaining 20% City funds. Estimated construction cost is $2,468,022.01. The anticipated start date is in 2021.

Sooner Road Bridge Replacement, 0.6 Miles North of Covell Road

This project will replace the existing bridge with a four lane bridge with sidewalks on both sides of the bridge and a trail underpass on both ends alongside Coffee Creek to accommodate the trails system.

The estimated construction cost is $2,719,187.22. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in 2021.

Unconfirmed start dates

15th and Broadway
    This project will evaluate the existing lane capacity to determine where additional lanes are needed. Signal light modifications will accommodate any changes in the lane configurations. This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements.

The estimated construction cost is $495,939.00. The funding split is 72% Federal funds and 28% City funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

33rd Street, Coltrane to I-35
    This project consists of widening 33rd Street to provide for a four lane divided roadway with left turn lanes at the side streets. The center median will be landscaped. The project will also include multi-use paths/sidewalks.

This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $3,911,046.26. The funding split will be 80% Federal funds and 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Covell, Santa Fe to West City Limits
    This project will widen Covell to provide for a four lane divided roadway. There will be left turn lanes at all side streets. Covell will also include street lighting, bike paths and landscaping. Several new bridge structures will be required at the Santa Fe intersection.

The estimated construction cost is $5,500,000. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Kelly, Coffee Creek to Waterloo
    This project will widen Kelly to a four lane divided roadway with left turn lanes at all side streets. The mile section from Sorghum Mill to Waterloo will not be divided. A signal light will be constructed at the intersections of Coffee Creek, Mesa Trail (Cross Timbers Elementary School), and Sorghum Mill Road. The project will also include street lighting and landscaping from Coffee Creek to Sorghum Mill.

The estimated construction cost is $7,000,000.00. The City will apply for 80% Federal funds with 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

Link here: http://edmondok.com/802/Future-Construction-Projects

There are some weird typos on that post and the website is not letting me correct them. Apologies for that.

Though they are listed in this thread, I'll list them again to add to that list. Other projects in Edmond include:

Widening Air Depot and Covell Intersection Area

They will widen the roads in this area to accommodate the future high school which is rumored to be built in the early 2020's. I suspect these projects will begin at that time. They plan on adding a signalized intersection as well.

I-35 Service Roads

OkDOT plans to completely reconfigure the service roads along I-35. There are various alternatives but I suspect they will opt for the one way conversion with Texas turn arounds. These are very efficient in moving traffic. This will be somewhat significant project but I don't see it happening for awhile(after 2020 maybe even 2025 with OkDOT's current budget situation but I'm hopefully that will be fixed).

https://www.ok.gov/odot/Programs_and.../20171026.html

Sooner Rd. & Danforth

Danforth widened to 4 lanes(unsure if divided but I suspect it won't be) and a new signal at Sooner RD. and Danforth. I was under the impression that they were wanting to get this started by 2020 or sooner but I wonder if they pushed it back to fast track the Covell widening. I think the Kelly and Danforth project was originally going to start in 2019 but now they say 2021 and again, I think that has to do with with Covell project.

Waterloo and I-35 interchange

Not technically Edmond but close enough. Will construct the states first DDI(Diverging Diamond Interchange), widen the ramps, and add room for a third lane in each direction on I-35.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/I-35_and_Waterloo_Road.html

SH-66 in East Edmond

Will widen SH-66 to 4 lanes from Post RD. east of Edmond city limits.

This is just a wishlist followed by a fantasy list of mine. The wishlist is more realistic projects that I'm sure are years away from being announced or at least a possibility and the other one is likely never to see light of day.

Wishlist:

*New Danforth bridge over I-35 and interchange. Danforth bridge straightened with a standard tight diamond interchange added. 4 lanes.

*I-35 service roads extension to Covell.

*Broadway in Downtown Edmond narrowed to 2 lanes and angled parking removed and converted to parallel parking. My configuration would look something like this:

*I usually don't advocate for streetcars but I think it could work well in Edmond's cased provided it is grade separated at 2nd. St. My streetcar for Edmond would connect downtown, Stephenson Park, and UCO. I don't intend on it being expanded any further as this street car would be more for novelty than anything. The street width gets to about 100ft. in some areas so I based the image off of that. Some areas would have narrower sidewalks to make up for it. A parking garage in Edmond in several locations would make up for loss up parking along Broadway.

*Protected bike lanes along Boulevard and meandering pedestrian path made of composite granite throughout the large median between 2nd and Danforth.

*2nd. St. widened to six lanes. There is sufficient room to do this in DT Edmond. The building across from Edmond Sun would be torn down.

*Bryant widened to six lanes from Kickingbird Rd. to 15th St.

*Kelly widened to six lanes from Danforth to South Edmond city limits.

*Kickingbird Rd. extended south to 2nd. St. 4 lane divided and protected bike lanes.

*Vista Lane extended south to 15th St. and renamed Kickingbird Rd. 2 lanes and protected bike lanes.

*Integris Parkway extended over I-35 as a new bridge

*New ramps at every mile road along I-35 in North Edmond

Fantasy list:

*Broadway underpasses. New tolled underpasses at 33rd and 15th streets. Broadway itself would be turned into a more expressway style road with the inner two lanes becoming separated from the outer two lanes. A new lane added each way to make it four through lanes in each direction. The inner two lanes would have no access other than the option to merge to the outer two lanes which would support left turn movements at each major intersection and right turn movements. At each half mile in between 15th and 33rd there would an additional underpass to allow for u turn movements from the outer lanes. Those underpasses will NOT be tolled. Tolling would be variable and free at night.

*I-35 widening. This is for the future as current traffic counts don't warrant this right now, but my plans call for making I-35 10 lanes. A new general purpose lane in each direction plus an HOV lane. The HOV lane would start at a configured 2nd. St. interchange which I'll discuss below. There would be direct HOV entrances and exits in Edmond at 2nd. St. and Memorial Rd. I do think this project is needed now but without the 4th general purpose lane. The project should be built to add HOV lanes and made to be easily expanded in the future when traffic counts call for it.

* 2nd. St. overpass at I-35. This overpass would be straightened, and the service roads would continue under the 2nd st. bridge for less signals. Additionally, as part of my plans to 10 lane I-35 from 2nd. St. in Edmond to DTOKC, there would be additional ramps at 2nd. St. to connect to HOV lanes on I-35.

*33rd. St bridge over Arcadia lake. Two lane bridge over the lake. This project is not needed for some time.

*N Edmond loop. A new loop somewhere near Waterloo RD. for a fully controlled access facility to connect from SH-74 to I-35.

*NE Edmond loop. New fully controlled access facility continuing the EOC Turnpike(currently under-construction) in coordination with a new loop around Norman connecting to I-35 to allow for a x35 bypass designation.

*North Edmond Road Widenings. In addition, I think every road in north Edmond west of I-35 needs to be widened to minimum of four lanes, being divided roads with painted bike lanes in each direction. I put these under fantasy because they will likely happen but it will be awhile.

*Air Depot connection. This is another project that isn't needed at the moment but I think will be good to preserve ROW for. I think the road should cut through over Spring Creek and connect with itself and then further south where it breaks off again a new road built but not over Lake Arcadia. This section would be a curvy road following the shores of SW Arcadia until it hits Memorial RD. I'd like to see a new lifestyle village build along this area on the new road. I'd have the south part built well before the north part which I wouldn't start until congestion really starts getting bad in Edmond which won't be for another 5-10 years.

*BNSF Railroad Trench. Lowers the entire railway into a trench from South Edmond City limits to south of Covell Rd.

*Light-rail connecting Edmond to DT OKC

I am interested to know people's thoughts on this. Let's get this posted around these areas and see people's reactions. If half of these things were proposed, that'd make the Spring Creek expansion backlash pale in comparison LOL

One of the things I will comment on the the road on northside to connect I-35 with SH 74. It would have to be north of Waterloo due to the cost of buying out a lot of expensive homes. I would say 4 or 5 miles north of Waterloo. Alot of the ideas would also nessesitate buying out of other expensive property. I put my guess that traffic is going to only be worst in years to come as more areas of Edmond develop as large homes on small lots.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    One of the things I will comment on the the road on northside to connect I-35 with SH 74. It would have to be north of Waterloo due to the cost of buying out a lot of expensive homes. I would say 4 or 5 miles north of Waterloo. Alot of the ideas would also nessesitate buying out of other expensive property. I put my guess that traffic is going to only be worst in years to come as more areas of Edmond develop as large homes on small lots.
    Yeah and it doesn't seem like any planning at all is going into a regional freeway network around this area. Unless something is done now, they will end up having dodging home developments left and right being a curvy freeway. The sprawl is now starting to engulf South Logan County and we are looking at a decade or so before it fills in the gap between Edmond and Guthrie. They should at least start planning for this now and preserving ROW.

There is a fairly large new home development proposed just south of Waterloo and north of Sorgum Mill taking up a huge swath of land. I think it's around 300ish. Can't remember off the top of my head but I do know they are giving almost no room for ramps to connect Sorgum Mill to I-35. I still need to message the city about that.

Thread Information