Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Sync'd Lights on 2nd St. Project Progresses

Work is under way this week at Second Street and Boulevard as crews install fiber-optic lines for the city’s new intelligent transportation system.

Discussions about the computerized traffic and communication system designed to address the flow of traffic started more than five years ago. Congested traffic is among the top complaints of people who live in and visit Edmond, according to two recent surveys.

Workers will replace 21 traffic signal cabinets and controllers along Second Street/Edmond Road from Santa Fe Avenue east to Saints Boulevard, just east of Interstate 35.

The intersections will all connect to a centralized traffic management center located in the engineering department at 10 S Littler Ave.

A new vehicle-detection system, camera system, battery backup system, audible pedestrian system and flashing yellow arrows for some left-turn lanes will be included in the system.

Second Street/Edmond Road was chosen for the first part of the project because of heavy traffic along that street, especially near the University of Central Oklahoma.

Signals are now computer-timed. They are not coordinated with the flow of traffic.

The state Transportation Department awarded the $3 million project in April 2014 to Midstate Traffic Control.

- Edmond Exchange for Saturday, March 28, 2015 | News OK
    Some other side notes for Sorgum Mill

Roadwork costs more

Edmond council members agreed this week to spend another $60,000 to reconstruct Sorghum Mill Road from Midwest to Douglas boulevards, as part of an interlocal agreement with the board of Oklahoma County commissioners. The agreement was approved Feb. 23. The original agreement, for $360,000, was based on an incorrect summation of construction items and cost estimate of materials. The new cost is $420,000.

- Edmond Exchange for Saturday, March 28, 2015 | News OK

I think a lot of the traffic problem is the fact there are 21 lights between Santa Fe and I-35. Edmond has way too many unnecessary lights. This is especially true on second between Broadway and Bryant.

But of course they keep adding them all over the place. Does Mitch park @ Kelly really need a light? No.

Lights should also be programmed to flash when traffic load is light. This was done in Cincinnati. Lights would flash as long as cross traffic didn't have to sit too long waiting for a gap in traffic, if cars were sitting for a certain amount of time (not sure of the exact number) the lights would wake up and give the cross traffic a green. This system worked really well, for example the light by my office was "alive" around lunch time and around quitting time, pretty much flashed the other 20 hours in the day allowing traffic on the main road to flow freely.

Nice! Only a year after it was actually supposed to start. Good for Edmond I guess.

This will be nice and is much needed although I do wish they would pave way to widen 33rd to six lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Nice! Only a year after it was actually supposed to start. Good for Edmond I guess.

This will be nice and is much needed although I do wish they would pave way to widen 33rd to six lanes.
    It was supposed to start in fall of 2014, as far as I know. And it did. They did the first phase work, which was the utility relocation, and was completed in January. The ODT set the schedule for the bid and the award for the actual construction.

I was actually supposed to start in spring 2013 I believe and they pushed it back to spring 2014 and then delayed it even further and blamed ODOT.

I'll double check, but I'm almost certain this project was scheduled for a year or two ago.

In the news link you provided, it says, "Allen Contracting Inc., and Shell Construction Co. Inc., of Oklahoma City were awarded the contract Monday by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission." In other words, it isn't a contract the City of Edmond awarded, it is a State contract. So it isn't clear what you mean when you say, "they pushed it back to spring 2014 and then delayed it even further and blamed ODOT."

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    In the news link you provided, it says, "Allen Contracting Inc., and Shell Construction Co. Inc., of Oklahoma City were awarded the contract Monday by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission." In other words, it isn't a contract the City of Edmond awarded, it is a State contract. So it isn't clear what you mean when you say, "they pushed it back to spring 2014 and then delayed it even further and blamed ODOT."
    It's the old "Edmond screwed it up and can't build anything" obsession, ignoring the other Edmond projects such as the new Administration/Police buildings, and such. The biggest problem Edmond has is growth that at time outpaces the ability to keep up with road and traffic expansions. It's a good problem to have. Going back to page one of this thread you can see the announcement of the 33rd intersection work and the timeline, and everything seems to still be fitting in with what was announce then. There's a lot depending on ODOT for approval of these type of bids and projects.

"Interlocal Agreement Initiates Sorghum Mill Reconstruction

Edmond City Council has approved an interlocal agreement with Oklahoma County District #3 to complete a reconstruction of Sorghum Mill Road between Air Depot Boulevard and Midwest Boulevard. The project is tentatively scheduled to begin November 9th with right-of-way clearing and drainage work.

The roadway will be open to thru traffic for most of the project, but periodic closures will be necessary. Work is expected to be completed in 60 – 90 days with cooperative weather.

The City of Edmond’s total estimated cost with this project is $550,000."

- Edmond, OK - Official Website

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    The city had plans to do this a long time ago. That's what I mean. It's a very simple concept.

As for Jerrywall, he just doesn't like me because I called him out one time after he tried to claim the U.S. was a Democracy. I did get personal with him as I'm sure he's going to respond to this whining about it. Not getting personal with people when I debate is something I'm working on.

Furthermore, I don't think the city of Edmond screws up on everything. That is ridiculous that Jerrywall would even say I am obsessed with that.

Now I'm only here until December or January, so I haven't done this since I moved to L.A., but I would always pick up trash along the road sometimes spending 3-4 hours on Sunday, try and attend some council meetings when I could, and I would always promote Edmond on other forums and defend it if someone attacked it. I also get on the city's website almost daily and check for new council and planning commission meetings and look old ones over.

I care about this city. If that isn't obvious by me posting over 70% of what you see in the Edmond forum, I don't know what to tell you.

What I can tell you, is Edmond always seems to have problems with ODOT and financing. That is a common thing in Oklahoma. This project was supposed to be done back in 2013. They moved it to spring of 2014. The Covell widenings were supposed to start almost 5 years ago. That was blamed on ODOT as well if I remember correctly.

Now on the flip side, Edmond does a much better job of managing its roads and getting done quicker than OKC does.

Mediocre is still mediocre even if is less mediocre than something else that is mediocre.

Also keep in mind, this project is NOT something ODOT pushed for, it is something the city of Edmond pushed for. The city of Edmond approached ODOT with this plan and got it through. Good for the city of Edmond. It needed to be replaced. Broadway is a state highway, so obviously ODOT is going to have jurisdiction over it.

This is slightly south of Edmond, but does anyone know what they are doing at 122nd and Bryant?
    It looks like they are widening Bryant north and south of 122nd to 4 lanes?
    Lots of utility work and tree clearing being done..

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    This is slightly south of Edmond, but does anyone know what they are doing at 122nd and Bryant?
    It looks like they are widening Bryant north and south of 122nd to 4 lanes?
    Lots of utility work and tree clearing being done..
    Bryant is being widened from 2 to 4 lanes from Memorial to 122nd as part of the 2007 GoBond.

http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/BondInf...tText=Widening

Bryant is being widened from 2 to 4 lanes from Memorial to 122nd as part of the 2007 GoBond.

http://www.okc.gov/bonds2007/BondInf...§Text=Widening
    Do they post the specifics of any of these projects online?
    I am curious to know about a couple other of these projects..

I think there is a timeline set by the city council somewhere, but I don't know where it is. But I'm not sure where to find it. I've posted some on the OKCDevelopment thread about some of the street projects, but no timelines or anything. Just the streets that are scheduled to be widened.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...0.k6VwEG_cmKNg

Edmond does a good job - Edmond, OK - Official Website - Traffic Projects

But I've never found something similar for OKC.

The 33rd and Broadway intersection finish date has been pushed back to July due to winter weather.

I've said it before, but I really wish they'd increase the speed limit to 55 on Broadway and reduce the curb cuts and make Broadway a more expressway style road with service roads and limited access points. I'd like to see two lanes each way go under the intersections of 15th and 33rd and that weird light they put by Car Max.

I've said it before, but I really wish they'd increase the speed limit to 55 on Broadway and reduce the curb cuts and make Broadway a more expressway style road with service roads and limited access points. I'd like to see two lanes each way go under the intersections of 15th and 33rd and that weird light they put by Car Max.
    PP,
    I think that "weird" light is because it is the only access from Memorial to Broadway extension. There really is quite a lot of traffic on that side road to the light.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    PP,
    I think that "weird" light is because it is the only access from Memorial to Broadway extension. There really is quite a lot of traffic on that side road to the light.
    C. T.
    Hmmm. I didn't know that. I don't really use this part of the road that often, so perhaps so. If the traffic is justified, than yeah I say leave it.

Oh, but Memorial does get access to Broadway Ext. Southbound through a cloverleaf ramp.

It also occurs, for northbound traffic, before any of the entrance drives onto Broadway from the businesses along that stretch, so it works to help slow people down from highway speeds.

Thread Information