Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    33rd and Broadway
    This project will provide for dual southbound and westbound left turn lanes, a single eastbound, westbound and southbound right turn lane. The entire intersection will be reconstructed in concrete pavement. Signal light modifications will accommodate the changes in lane configurations.

This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $4,936,296.62. The funding split is 60% Federal funds and 40% City funds. The anticipated start date is summer/fall of 2014.

Update: Utility companies will begin to relocate thier lines in February 2014 to accomidate the roadway construction.
    July 2014 Update: utility companies continue with relocation of lines to accommodate the upcoming roadway construction.

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - Current Construction Projects

33rd and Broadway
    This project will provide for dual southbound and westbound left turn lanes, a single eastbound, westbound and southbound right turn lane. The entire intersection will be reconstructed in concrete pavement. Signal light modifications will accommodate the changes in lane configurations.

This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $4,936,296.62. The funding split is 60% Federal funds and 40% City funds. The anticipated start date is summer/fall of 2014.
    October 2014 Update: Utility companies continue with relocation of lines to accommodate the upcoming roadway construction. Utility companies are substantially complete. The Oklahoma Department of Transportation has this project on a tentative bid opening of March 2015 followed by a contract award in April 2015.

Kelly and 33rd

Traffic Alert: Lane Closures on Kelly North of 33rd Street

Beginning Monday, November 3rd, a private contractor will start construction of a center island on Kelly just north of 33rd Street. This work is being done in conjunction with the construction of the new OnCue Express at that location.

Traffic will be reduced to one lane each direction for approximately two weeks with favorable weather.

- Edmond, OK - Official Website

Hey PluPan, message me your rendering when you complete it. I'd like to see your skills!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey PluPan, message me your rendering when you complete it. I'd like to see your skills!
    Alright haha, I am using Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler 2013 and haven't been taught by any professional, only self taught with YouTube videos and such lol

This particular stretch is giving me problems though so I may just use AutoCad or 3dsmax to create just a simple scale model. I like Infrastructure Modeler better though because it is much more realistic by adding the actual stores and mapping imagery. I just can't find any place to download the imagery for these particular coordinates. :/

Alright haha, I am using Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler 2013 and haven't been taught by any professional, only self taught with YouTube videos and such lol

This particular stretch is giving me problems though so I may just use AutoCad or 3dsmax to create just a simple scale model. I like Infrastructure Modeler better though because it is much more realistic by adding the actual stores and mapping imagery. I just can't find any place to download the imagery for these particular coordinates. :/
    Major props. I've heard of autocad but all that other stuff is beyond me!

I have pretty much taught myself on most CAD/BIM packages (Computervision CADDS4X, CV Personal Designer, AutoCAD, Microstation, Revit, 3DStudio/3ds Max) but I did have people to ask questions of when I was stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Haven't forgot about this.... just need to do some minor touches to make it look more legit man... just been stripped for time

I've been using Kelly, CCreek to Covell. I keep looking for 25 mph speed limit signs, given the ongoing construction. But it's 40! Doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

Not complaining, just amazed.

I'm glad they haven't lowered it tbh..... It should be lowered to 35 or so.... but 25mph is too low

Agreed.

Resurfacing 2nd street from I-35 past Arcadia

ODOT resurfacing S.H. 66 in Edmond
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is resurfacing about 3.5 miles of State Highway 66, said Cole Hackett, ODOT spokesman.

- See more at: ODOT resurfacing S.H. 66 in Edmond » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Resurfacing 2nd street from I-35 past Arcadia
    "The speed limit has been lowered to 45 mph in the area with cones and barrels to alert motorists."

It's 45 mph for the entire stretch now. And FYI Edmond Police is enforcing the 45 mph speed limit that goes all the way from I-35 to Arcadia (it's usually 55). Pretty ridiculous seeing as the crews aren't there half the time, and only a small portion of the entire road is re-paved yet. The person that I know that got pulled over was told they're enforcing it because of "people not knowing how to handle the uneven lanes in some parts." Just a heads up for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    "The speed limit has been lowered to 45 mph in the area with cones and barrels to alert motorists."

It's 45 mph for the entire stretch now. And FYI Edmond Police is enforcing the 45 mph speed limit that goes all the way from I-35 to Arcadia (it's usually 55). Pretty ridiculous seeing as the crews aren't there half the time, and only a small portion of the entire road is re-paved yet. The person that I know that got pulled over was told they're enforcing it because of "people not knowing how to handle the uneven lanes in some parts." Just a heads up for everyone.
    The area around 33 rd and Air Depot is where the equestian trails are located. There will be another park added in the area and the trail system will be expanded. Not sure what is going on as far as the road work.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post

They're just doing what cops like to do around here - picking the low-hanging fruit and enhancing city revenue. They may be trying to look out for public safety, but I've seen too many construction speed limit signs stay up weeks past the end of construction (yes, the complete end of the construction) and cops enforcing that speed limit to believe that public safety is paramount in their minds. I've seen this happen in multiple places in OKC, maybe Edmond cops are different than OKC cops, though...

What's going on 33rd at Air Depot? It was a dead end and now they've got it blocked off going east. It looks like a dirt road, so are they going to improve it toward the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigtamale View Post
    What's going on 33rd at Air Depot? It was a dead end and now they've got it blocked off going east. It looks like a dirt road, so are they going to improve it toward the lake?
    Hopefully so. I know they were having some major traffic issues on that stretch of 15th, although I've hardly seen any traffic there. They are also doing studies for the development of the lake and as such, were building new service docks and access ramps for the lake.

Probably housing. ^^

It's all revenue man. People need to slow down around construction workers and show a little respect, but if they any out there, the cops need to go back to their donut shop or something. This coming from someone who thinks it getting time for Edmond to build a substation for their police force to. I was pulled over by a pig for doing 40 in a 25 when Covell was being redone around Kelly and it was on Sunday with no construction workers anywhere to be seen, absolutely ridiculous.

I drove 66 east to Douglas yesterday. No construction ongoing, maybe they were off for lunch, but the 45 speed signs were up and I was the only one doing 50. Everyone passed me.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    I drove 66 east to Douglas yesterday. No construction ongoing, maybe they were off for lunch, but the 45 speed signs were up and I was the only one doing 50. Everyone passed me.
    That is a really pretty road though. I hope in the future it gets widened with a median and landscaping and it would make a beautiful corridor one day; it really already is though.

Brief closure on BLVD.

Lane Closure on Boulevard for Water Line Improvements

Work to upgrade waterlines in a two block section of Boulevard is slated to begin today, Tuesday, April 15 and reopening no later than Tuesday, April 22.

The affected area is the South bound curb lane of Boulevard between 7th & 9th Streets. Crews will be making the final tie in of the new water line into the existing water line. Crews will also be replacing the sidewalk along Boulevard from 8th & 9th Street. The road will remain open during this time, but motorists should expect traffic to be reduced to one lane during most of the project.

This work is being done as part of the Capital View Waterline Improvements Project. Continental Construction is the contractor performing this work. The total cost of this project is $1,136,059.08.
    ###

- Edmond, OK - Official Website

Possible significant funding for future road projects. Hopefully they consider widening 2nd St. to six lanes.

Funding for road projects will be a major part of any future capital discussion, but cost of road projects is not listed in the $143.6 million figure.

- See more at: City eyes $143M in new projects » Local News » The Edmond Sun

Great article highlighting some upcoming needs

Numerous city road projects planned
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — City Engineer Steve Manek has been receiving a lot of emails complaining about Covell Road intersecting with Santa Fe and Bryant Avenues. There are currently no design plans to improve these intersections.

Manek briefed the Edmond City Council recently about unfunded city road and signalization improvements that are needed to improve traffic flow and efficiency. More than $38 million of projects comprised Manek’s prepared list of items that could take the city 10 years to implement.

“We have the long-term solution — the Covell Parkway — building the four lanes divided, the left-turn lanes, right-turn lanes, everything that’s needed,” Manek said.

He identified a $3 million temporary improvement at the intersections would add four designated left-turn lanes at each intersection. The city faces rights-of-way challenges with utilities at each place, Manek added.

Councilwoman Victoria Caldwell asked how much the permanent fix to the intersections would cost.

“With the permanent fix at Santa Fe, you’re basically taking out all of the structures,” Manek said. “So, it’s probably in the $6 million to $8 million range.”

The Bryant intersection would probably be less expensive due to smaller drainage structures he said.

A funding source to pay for these infrastructure improvements has not been determined for the $143.6 million worth of city projects identified by departments, said Larry Stevens, city manager.

There are concerns that the 2000 Capital Improvement 3/4-cent sales tax will not provide adequate funding for major capital projects, Stevens said. Bond issues used to fund projects from the 2000 tax were issued in $20 million increments and will be paid out in 2021, Stevens said.

A $500,000 road widening project with Edmond Public Schools is anticipated for Sorghum Mill going east of Broadway where a new elementary school will be constructed.

“Once that school is up and running, I guarantee the traffic is going to start backing up,” Manek said. Code requires the schools to widen the frontage next to them, but the city could do some of the work for the schools, he continued.

“Anything we could do to facilitate traffic in front of them is going to benefit them,” Manek said.

Widening of the road could include providing a left-turn lane along the frontage of the school. Intersection improvements may be necessary at Sorghum and Broadway. Manek said he plans to contact the county for assistance.

Another public school related project will be at Pennsylvania and Covell for $500,000. This will be the vicinity of where a new elementary school and middle school will be constructed in 2015, he said.

“Oklahoma City in the year of 2016 has a road-widening project coming up at our city limits,” Manek said. “It would be a good opportunity again to partner with another entity to carry those widenings through.”

In the interim, Manek said his department sees the need for three lanes with a turn lane in the middle. Turn lanes at the intersection could move in all directions, Manek said.

Improvements at Air Depot and Covell are not included in current design plans. Manek foresees a $7 million road-widening and signalization project that is needed in preparation for Edmond’s fourth high school that is planned to open in seven years.

“This is a large project that we need to get under design,” Manek said.

Widening would likely occur one half mile south of Covell on Air Depot and at least one third mile east of Air Depot on Covell, Manek said.

Also, additional turn lanes on Boulevard are needed to offset traffic congestion occurring at Boulevard and Second Street. This project is anticipated to cost $2 million, Manek said. The intersection continues to increase in traffic volume, he explained. The money would pay for relocating utilities and a design fee.

“There’s no right-of-way to be acquired,” Manek said. “We know we can get this in the ACOG cue at some point.”

There is not a cost estimate for developing the frontage road along Interstate 35. Current frontage roads are not adequate for the volume of traffic expected with future developments, Manek said. Improvements are also needed at the interchanges, he said.

Southbound traffic on I-35 and Second Street backs up almost out to the three interstate lanes from 7-10:30 a.m., Manek said. Traffic begins backing up for northbound traffic at I-35 and 15th Street from 4:30-5 p.m. to 6 p.m., Manek said.

The most expensive project will be finishing a 2.5-mile section of Covell Parkway from Boulevard east to the Fairfax Business Park, Manek said. The $25 million project is under design, he said.

Stevens said the city is wrestling with the idea of having to fund certain road projects on its own. Some road sections need to be improved without delays caused by years of discussion.

The federal government must re-authorize a transportation bill to keep federal funds coming, Manek said. More than 30 member cities of ACOG compete for limited federal dollars, Manek said.

- See more at: Numerous city road projects planned » Local News » The Edmond Sun

I got caught in that today. Grrrrr

Thread Information