Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Construction in Edmond

Default Re: Road Construction in Edmond

My uncle lives in the Hunters Creek addition and there are people speeding like maniacs through there running stop signs. The city of Edmond is sure missing out on some revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ''Phase I, Intelligent Transportation System 2nd Street/Edmond Road Corridor Project
    This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections from Santa Fe Avenue, east to Saints Boulevard in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. The project will also include installation of wireless radios at four of the city water towers. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.

The estimated construction cost is $2,700,000. The funding split will be 80% Federal funds and 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in the fall of 2013''

- Edmond, OK - Official Website - Current Construction Projects
    Another update on this:

"Update: The Oklahoma Department of Transportation will advertise and award this project in January 2014 with construction starting in March 2014. "

Note that it will be nice to have these lights synchronized.

They had two lanes of Kelly open all the way through this afternoon.

''Kelly, north of Covell to south of Coffee Creek
    The Kelly Avenue parkway road construction project will begin Wednesday, July 17, 2013. The Kelly Avenue widening will start approximately 1000 feet north of Covell and will continue north to a point 350 feet south of Coffee Creek. The street will be widened to provide a four-lane divided roadway with left turns at all public streets. There will be a new traffic signal light at Kelly and Prairie Village Drive which will also serve as an additional access point into Mitch Park, Mathis Skate Park, and Cheyenne Middle School. The project also includes street lighting and landscaping. There will be 5 foot wide sidewalks on both sides of Kelly.

The first phase of the project is to construct a new bridge just south of Coffee Creek adjacent to the Coffee Creek Golf Course. This will require the closing of Kelly Avenue to through traffic. Local traffic will have access to Hunters Pointe, Hunters Creek, Prairie Village and Coffee Creek Additions from the south end of the project via Covell, while the Villas at Hunters Creek Addition and the Coffee Creek Golf Course will have access from the north end of the project via Coffee Creek. It is anticipated that phase one will require 125 days to complete at which time the road will re-open to through traffic while work on the rest of Kelly will proceed. Formal detour route signs will be posted.

The Oklahoma Department on Transportation (ODOT) awarded the project to Duit Construction Company of Edmond in the amount of $5,934,304. Project funding is 80% federal funds and 20% city funds. ODOT will administer and inspect the project. Edmond will have personnel available on the job site as necessary. The total project duration is 250 calendar days.

Periodic lane closures may be necessary for some of the construction activity. Motorists are advised to use extreme caution and obey traffic signs and flagmen while traveling through the work zone as workers and equipment will be present''

*Update: The contractor opened the road to thru traffic on 1-17-14. There is one thru lane for both north and south directions. The contractor will now begin removing the old pavement on the east side of Kelly and complete the cross drains before modifing the soil and placing additional asphalt.

''Phase I, Intelligent Transportation System 2nd Street/Edmond Road Corridor Project
    This project consists of installing fiber optic cable and replacing the traffic signal cabinets and controllers and associated signal equipment at 22 intersections from Santa Fe Avenue, east to Saints Boulevard in order to bring them into compliance with the National Transportation Communication for Intelligent Transportation System Protocol (NTCIP) standards. The project will also include installation of wireless radios at four of the city water towers. These intersections will connect to the Traffic Management Center via fiber optics and wireless communication network.

The estimated construction cost is $2,700,000. The funding split will be 80% Federal funds and 20% City funds. The anticipated start date is in the fall of 2013''

* Update: The Oklahoma Department of Transportation will advertise and award this project in March 2014 with construction starting in May 2014.

33rd and Broadway
    This project will provide for dual southbound and westbound left turn lanes, a single eastbound, westbound and southbound right turn lane. The entire intersection will be reconstructed in concrete pavement. Signal light modifications will accommodate the changes in lane configurations.

This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $4,936,296.62. The funding split is 60% Federal funds and 40% City funds. The anticipated start date is summer/fall of 2014.

Update: Utility companies will begin to relocate thier lines in February 2014 to accomidate the roadway construction.

PS, I really like OKCisOK4Me's idea of this intersection and almost finished with a rendering for it to send to the city just for sh*ts and gigs. Around a zero chance of it happening, but hey, will be interesting to see what they say.

2015 Construction Projects
    Covell Widening, Fairfax to I-35 Southbound on/off ramp
    This project will widen Covell to a four-lane divided roadway. There will be a section of widening east of Sooner six lanes wide to accommodate future commercial development. There will be left and right turn lanes at major commercial driveways. The project also includes widening the intersection of Covell and Sooner and will include a signal light as well as street lighting throughout the project

Estimated construction cost is $10,455,267.77. The City has secured 56% Federal funds in the amount of $5,905,800 with 44% of City funds in the amount of $4,549,467.77. The anticipated start date is unknown at this time.

On edit: It would be nicer to see this pushed up to this summer. :/

Hey PluPan, message me your rendering when you complete it. I'd like to see your skills!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey PluPan, message me your rendering when you complete it. I'd like to see your skills!
    Alright haha, I am using Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler 2013 and haven't been taught by any professional, only self taught with YouTube videos and such lol

This particular stretch is giving me problems though so I may just use AutoCad or 3dsmax to create just a simple scale model. I like Infrastructure Modeler better though because it is much more realistic by adding the actual stores and mapping imagery. I just can't find any place to download the imagery for these particular coordinates. :/

Alright haha, I am using Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler 2013 and haven't been taught by any professional, only self taught with YouTube videos and such lol

This particular stretch is giving me problems though so I may just use AutoCad or 3dsmax to create just a simple scale model. I like Infrastructure Modeler better though because it is much more realistic by adding the actual stores and mapping imagery. I just can't find any place to download the imagery for these particular coordinates. :/
    Major props. I've heard of autocad but all that other stuff is beyond me!

I have pretty much taught myself on most CAD/BIM packages (Computervision CADDS4X, CV Personal Designer, AutoCAD, Microstation, Revit, 3DStudio/3ds Max) but I did have people to ask questions of when I was stumped.

I drove the mile today. So glad it's doable. Should improve traffic on SF and Bdwy. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    They had two lanes of Kelly open all the way through this afternoon.

33rd and Broadway
    This project will provide for dual southbound and westbound left turn lanes, a single eastbound, westbound and southbound right turn lane. The entire intersection will be reconstructed in concrete pavement. Signal light modifications will accommodate the changes in lane configurations.

This project is part of the 2000 Sales Tax Improvements. The estimated construction cost is $4,936,296.62. The funding split is 60% Federal funds and 40% City funds. The anticipated start date is summer/fall of 2014.

Update: Utility companies will begin to relocate thier lines in February 2014 to accomidate the roadway construction.

PS, I really like OKCisOK4Me's idea of this intersection and almost finished with a rendering for it to send to the city just for sh*ts and gigs. Around a zero chance of it happening, but hey, will be interesting to see what they say.

That's going to make things fun around that part of town for a while . . .

Here is a map

I've been using Kelly, CCreek to Covell. I keep looking for 25 mph speed limit signs, given the ongoing construction. But it's 40! Doesn't seem to be a problem, though.

Not complaining, just amazed.

I'm glad they haven't lowered it tbh..... It should be lowered to 35 or so.... but 25mph is too low

Agreed.

Resurfacing 2nd street from I-35 past Arcadia

ODOT resurfacing S.H. 66 in Edmond
    James Coburn
    The Edmond Sun

EDMOND — The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is resurfacing about 3.5 miles of State Highway 66, said Cole Hackett, ODOT spokesman.

- See more at: ODOT resurfacing S.H. 66 in Edmond » Local News » The Edmond Sun

What's going on 33rd at Air Depot? It was a dead end and now they've got it blocked off going east. It looks like a dirt road, so are they going to improve it toward the lake?

Probably housing. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by thebigtamale View Post
    What's going on 33rd at Air Depot? It was a dead end and now they've got it blocked off going east. It looks like a dirt road, so are they going to improve it toward the lake?
    Hopefully so. I know they were having some major traffic issues on that stretch of 15th, although I've hardly seen any traffic there. They are also doing studies for the development of the lake and as such, were building new service docks and access ramps for the lake.

Resurfacing 2nd street from I-35 past Arcadia
    "The speed limit has been lowered to 45 mph in the area with cones and barrels to alert motorists."

It's 45 mph for the entire stretch now. And FYI Edmond Police is enforcing the 45 mph speed limit that goes all the way from I-35 to Arcadia (it's usually 55). Pretty ridiculous seeing as the crews aren't there half the time, and only a small portion of the entire road is re-paved yet. The person that I know that got pulled over was told they're enforcing it because of "people not knowing how to handle the uneven lanes in some parts." Just a heads up for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    "The speed limit has been lowered to 45 mph in the area with cones and barrels to alert motorists."

It's 45 mph for the entire stretch now. And FYI Edmond Police is enforcing the 45 mph speed limit that goes all the way from I-35 to Arcadia (it's usually 55). Pretty ridiculous seeing as the crews aren't there half the time, and only a small portion of the entire road is re-paved yet. The person that I know that got pulled over was told they're enforcing it because of "people not knowing how to handle the uneven lanes in some parts." Just a heads up for everyone.
    The area around 33 rd and Air Depot is where the equestian trails are located. There will be another park added in the area and the trail system will be expanded. Not sure what is going on as far as the road work.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post

They're just doing what cops like to do around here - picking the low-hanging fruit and enhancing city revenue. They may be trying to look out for public safety, but I've seen too many construction speed limit signs stay up weeks past the end of construction (yes, the complete end of the construction) and cops enforcing that speed limit to believe that public safety is paramount in their minds. I've seen this happen in multiple places in OKC, maybe Edmond cops are different than OKC cops, though...

Thread Information