Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1798

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Which full-service gas station do you guys use? God forbid I would have to pump my own gas.

[QUOTE=cbing04;1076525 Another horrible reason this Costco sucks is because of the piss poor planning. Anyone trying to get on the turnpike going west are screwed. Traffic is awful and the good old Oklahoma city planners failed again. Only one more year and I can leave this dump![/QUOTE]

If they seriously can't figure it out, they probably shouldn't be driving.

Yeah, I don't understand the 'support employees by not using auto checkout'.

Should we not use ATM's? Never buy anything online? Not use machines for any job that a human used to perform??

The history of the industrial revolution and great innovation in this country means trading menial jobs for those that come from producing innovation and creating efficiencies and it's directly related to our incredibly high standard of living, which has improved dramatically in the digital age.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store. I do no favors for corporate America. Our corporate overlords rob us for everything anyway, I will not make it any easier on them.
    and apparently have little/no regard for certain people either. Creating extra work, I'd at least put my stuff back.

Main idea for self checkouts are its faster for the customer when their are fewer items to scan. Employees are still better when your dealing with a lot of groceries. I like how Crest has a good mixture of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand the 'support employees by not using auto checkout'.

Should we not use ATM's? Never buy anything online? Not use machines for any job that a human used to perform??

The history of the industrial revolution and great innovation in this country means trading menial jobs for those that come from producing innovation and creating efficiencies and it's directly related to our incredibly high standard of living, which has improved dramatically in the digital age.
    I think a good balance can be found. There needs to always be entry level jobs but those are getting fewer and fewer. Crest has a good model by adding them as convenience. WM/Sams adds them solely to eliminate jobs.

ATMs were also added as a convenience not solely designed to cut jobs. They may have cut some jobs but I can still go into TFCU and get full service without a wait. WM/Sams us disgusting what they have done and their reputations are bad from the result.

There will always be examples where it works too, but I like Costco/Crest models where they still value me the person who keeps coming back. I used Costco when I lived in Cali and missed them for many reasons. Glad to see they still value a cash paying customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    and apparently have little/no regard for certain people either. Creating extra work, I'd at least put my stuff back.

I find this ironic in a weird way. You have a store who places little value in the person who is buying their goods and causes the customer more work. Yet when its reversed and the customer causes store more work you get upset. I hope you can see there are 2 sides to the situation.

But one side is paying money for goods and services while the other is not paying that same person. When I grew up I learned the business is suposed to cater to customer not other way around.

Food for thought.

Good thing is Costco has better service than most!

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post
    I have been going to Costco for many years prior to moving to OKC. I am very disappointed with this version of Costco however. Due to Oklahoma's archaic liquor laws you are unable to purchase any spirits at this Costco location, which is one of the best things about Costco because they are always the cheapest. Go figure, only in Oklahoma you can go buy a pound of pot, but god forbid you can buy some cheap spirits. Another horrible reason this Costco sucks is because of the piss poor planning. Anyone trying to get on the turnpike going west are screwed. Traffic is awful and the good old Oklahoma city planners failed again. Only one more year and I can leave this dump!
    How is any one thing you said the fault of Costco? Your post belongs in the things wring with city/state government or transportation. Not one thing was the fault of Costco.

If you don’t mind where are you moving too?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I find this ironic in a weird way. You have a store who places little value in the person who is buying their goods and causes the customer more work. Yet when its reversed and the customer causes store more work you get upset. I hope you can see there are 2 sides to the situation.

But one side is paying money for goods and services while the other is not paying that same person. When I grew up I learned the business is suposed to cater to customer not other way around.

Food for thought.

Maybe the person putting your crap back from where your sense of entitlement left it would have time to run a register instead?

There are enough food insecure people in this city that causing food to be thrown away because you’re pissed at some faceless corporation just irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Maybe the person putting your crap back from where your sense of entitlement left it would have time to run a register instead?

There are enough food insecure people in this city that causing food to be thrown away because you’re pissed at some faceless corporation just irks me.
    I think you should look up customer service vs entitlement there is a distinct difference. Your argument is backwards, if they had more checkers the sale happens and groceries walk out the door and never have to be put back. The backroom guy is never bothered because “the store factored in service and hired more checkers”. I hope you can see how foolish your comeback was. Either way we have worn out the topic. Since this is Costco thread I am happy to note Costco cares about service compared go Sams/WM. Thats a good thing not a bad one. You are entitled to your opinion though

ATMs were also added as a convenience not solely designed to cut jobs. They may have cut some jobs but I can still go into TFCU and get full service without a wait. WM/Sams us disgusting what they have done and their reputations are bad from the result.
    Did you ever go into a bank before ATM's? They employed 3x as many tellers -- maybe more.

I was an executive at a bank and trust me, the #1 goal was to stop people from coming into the branch as much as possible. I guarantee you ATM's have cost thousands of more jobs to be lost than auto checkout.

And how is auto checkout not also a convenience?

If people prefer traditional checkout that is completely fine and almost every place still offers that option. But attempting to compel others to do the same in support of jobs is highly dubious. Every single industry has used automation extensively and there have been tons of high-paying jobs created as a result.

Maybe worth noting, Sams/walmart offer both as well.

Food for thought.

I can see that there are two sides. I still don't agree with you.
    If all the employees are currently getting slammed by customers trying to purchase goods and leave, and then all of a sudden somebody leaves a mix of perishable goods I'd be ticked.
    "Oh, you're currently really busy? Let me add unnecessary work to your load, you're minimum wage anyway"

Quote Originally Posted by cbing04 View Post
    I have been going to Costco for many years prior to moving to OKC. I am very disappointed with this version of Costco however. Due to Oklahoma's archaic liquor laws you are unable to purchase any spirits at this Costco location, which is one of the best things about Costco because they are always the cheapest. Go figure, only in Oklahoma you can go buy a pound of pot, but god forbid you can buy some cheap spirits. Another horrible reason this Costco sucks is because of the piss poor planning. Anyone trying to get on the turnpike going west are screwed. Traffic is awful and the good old Oklahoma city planners failed again. Only one more year and I can leave this dump!
    Well this was fun.

I think you should look up customer service vs entitlement there is a distinct difference. Your argument is backwards, if they had more checkers the sale happens and groceries walk out the door and never have to be put back. The backroom guy is never bothered because “the store factored in service and hired more checkers”. I hope you can see how foolish your comeback was. Either way we have worn out the topic. Since this is Costco thread I am happy to note Costco cares about service compared go Sams/WM. Thats a good thing not a bad one. You are entitled to your opinion though
    You make her choice to leave your stuff.

Not the company, not the store, not the staff.

Own your waste, or stop wasting it.

15. Default Re: Costco

I refuse to use self checkout. I am not an employee of the store and I am certainly not receiving a discount to do work for them.

If my basket is full and there are no open lanes other than self check or there are long lines I will leave my cart where it is and leave the store.....

I couldn't help but read that comment in Eric Cartman's voice - followed by "Attention Costsco customers, Thurston Howell III and Lovey have left the building."

Do you scoff at the Scan and Go app too? I mean, you're not paid to actually hold your phone over a barcode either.

I really don’t want to come across as defending companies that understaff their stores. I’m just not OK with people crapping on staff members that have zero say about the policies that are in effect. If you don’t like a policy, don’t shop there. If you notice a crappy policy, don’t go back. But don’t **** on the staff that’s there by abandoning a cart full of merchandise and groceries because you decided that you weren’t OK with the same situation that existed when you walked into a store 30 minutes earlier. People usually know they work for a **** company, don’t make it worse by also being a crappy customer.

The ATM argument is not valid, as the machine is literally doing the work of a teller.

The self check is not automated, you are picking up the items, scanning them, and bagging them. There’s no automation, you are literally performing the work. It would be a similar argument if you rolled your cart up and a robotic arm came out and scanned and bagged all of your items. That is different.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I really don’t want to come across as defending companies that understaff their stores. I’m just not OK with people crapping on staff members that have zero say about the policies that are in effect. If you don’t like a policy, don’t shop there. If you notice a crappy policy, don’t go back. But don’t **** on the staff that’s there by abandoning a cart full of merchandise and groceries because you decided that you weren’t OK with the same situation that existed when you walked into a store 30 minutes earlier. People usually know they work for a **** company, don’t make it worse by also being a crappy customer.
    I don’t support stores that have bad service. I shop at a union store, and have excellent service. The employees unload the cart for me and load it again. Prices are slightly higher but I’m happy to support union labor and good workers.

The ATM argument is not valid, as the machine is literally doing the work of a teller.

The self check is not automated, you are picking up the items, scanning them, and bagging them. There’s no automation, you are literally performing the work. It would be a similar argument if you rolled your cart up and a robotic arm came out and scanned and bagged all of your items. That is different.
    I'm curious. How many tears do you shed for the former elevator operator when you use an elevator?

jfc yea. you should definitely get paid by the store for using the self check out instead of the cashier option.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    jfc yea. you should definitely get paid by the store for using the self check out instead of the cashier option.
    Some people see not standing in line for 30 minutes for just an item or two as exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Did you ever go into a bank before ATM's? They employed 3x as many tellers -- maybe more.

I was an executive at a bank and trust me, the #1 goal was to stop people from coming into the branch as much as possible. I guarantee you ATM's have cost thousands of more jobs to be lost than auto checkout.

And how is auto checkout not also a convenience?

If people prefer traditional checkout that is completely fine and almost every place still offers that option. But attempting to compel others to do the same in support of jobs is highly dubious. Every single industry has used automation extensively and there have been tons of high-paying jobs created as a result.
    What keeps getting lost in this discussion is the difference between stores offering self check as a service and those intentionally understaffing checkers to force people to self check out.

The WM/Sams model is bad and they force people to use self check or stand in long lines. Thats where my problem comes in. They got rid of staff and service went down and 9 of 10 people will tell you the same thing about their opinion of WM/Sams.

On the flip side Crest and Costco have added some self check as a service for those who want to use it but still staff checkout lines.

Go into any WM and you see 20 checkout lines with only 2/3 open and long lines. I rarely go there and when I do I remember why I don’t go there. I had Sams because it was only game in town, and I hated it.

All our young workers can’t all have a high paying job and those entry level checker jobs are great experience.

My other point is as a society we rarely talk to anyone and its nice to converse with checkers. I think it just makes a better experience from a service level. Look at Crest they are always busy yet never let lines get more than 2 deep. And it pays off no matter how busy it looks you know you can get out quickly and have a nice short chat with the checker and bagger.

Thats all I’m saying

^^ This.

I go into Crest usually a few times a week to pick up a single item or two on the way home. For those times, I grab the self checkout. In and out. But on Saturdays when we do our big weekly trip, I hit a staffed checkout. Much easier. And Crest always has tons of regular lanes open.

I go to Home Depot however, and they typically don't have a staffed checkout lane open, besides the single commercial checkout. It's all (forced) self checkout. I hate it when companies do this.

Scan and go is a great option though.

What about grocery store pickup? I haven't noticed anyone mentioning that. That takes employee resources to grab people's things off the shelves. Those are employees that could be working a checkout line. Maybe its time to adapt and start using that service?

Eventually, Amazon is going to figure out how to do grocery delivery more efficiently also.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Eventually, Amazon is going to figure out how to do grocery delivery more efficiently also.
    They have already been testing stores with no checkout at all.

Where you just grab what you want and walk out:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...sors/94991612/

Thread Information