Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 71 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Large Chain Costco

Heard from a very reliable source that Costco is in the process of buying land at Memorial & Western.

This would be on the south side of the Kilpatrick Turnpike. Not sure if it will be on the east or west side of Western, but the west side seems most likely.

Interesting location as there is a Sams Club just a mile west at Pennsylvania. Obviously, they plan to go toe-to-toe with them.

We've had many discussions about Costco in the past but they are an absolute institution here in California and have a much more loyal following than Sams Club.

This is a long (42 minute) but excellent and interesting feature on Costco by CNBC:

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

That should be a good location.

YAY! I absolutely detest driving up there but will make an exception for Costco.

Awesome. The sooner they can break ground the better. I can't wait for an alternative to Sam's Club. Then I will be able to be completely Wal-Mart free. Being that its off by itself at Western and Memorial, my guess is it will become an anchor for even more new retail surrounding it.

While I'm glad if we get it, I doubt I ever go up there. Maybe this will bring one to the southside or even off I40. I'd go if one were to open closer.

What is the cost for a Costco membership versus Sam's Club?

There are currently five Sams Clubs in the OKC Metro with a sixth under construction in Edmond.

Hopefully, Costco will be just as aggressive in the market.

I finally went to Costco this weekend and I liked it. Like I said in another thread Sam's may have a better selection on some things but overall I was pretty happy with my experiencs.

I used to think Sam's and Costco were very similar but they are different in many important ways. And it takes a while to fully comprehend.

First of all, they treat their employees very well and it shows. Always a happy, friendly staff with amazing customer service.

Also, Costco private brands many things under their Kirkland label. For example, I breed and raise champion Labradors and I feed them the Kirkland dry food, which is essentially Eukanuba repackaged. Costco charges about $18 for 40 lbs. vs. $50 for Eukanuba.

In fact, just about anything they put the Kirkland label on is very high quality and usually an amazing value. Another odd example is I just had a massive party where I served primarily Kirkland tequila and Kirkland margarita mix. Everyone raved about the drinks.

Sam's has a much better and comprehensive website but otherwise Costco is miles better in just about every other way. Think Target vs. Walmart.

If they expand to south OKC / Moore / Norman, they'd become somewhat attractive. But it's still very rare for me to even go to 23rd anymore, so going to memorial is just not going to be part of a typical week for our house.

I am absolutely sure they will have multiple locations in OKC.

It only makes sense for the size of the market and their need for economies of scale when it comes to their distribution model.

I would say at least three in the near future.

My guess is we'll see a location on Memorial, I-240, Norman, and maybe Midwest City.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    What is the cost for a Costco membership versus Sam's Club?
    Very similar, although I think Sam's might be slightly cheaper.

Costco has an executive membership where you pay an extra $50 but get money back based on how much you spend. At the end of the year they issue you a store credit for the difference and in some years I've made back my entire membership fee plus over $100.

This new Cosco and the almost complete OnCue Express on the north side of the turnpike will breathe a LOT of life into that old almost rundown intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaNick View Post
    This new Cosco and the almost complete OnCue Express on the north side of the turnpike will breathe a LOT of life into that old almost rundown intersection.
    Agree. That vacated run down Phillips 66 on the NE corner that serves as a business that sells nursery plants and flowers needs to face the wrecking ball with something nice in it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Costco has an executive membership where you pay an extra $50 but get money back based on how much you spend. At the end of the year they issue you a store credit for the difference and in some years I've made back my entire membership fee plus over $100.
    Nice. Sounds kind of like how REI's membership is.

In Southlake they have a Costco and 2 miles down the road in Grapevine they have a Sam's, So it's not that uncommon that they are that close to each other.

I used to think Sam's and Costco were very similar but they are different in many important ways. And it takes a while to fully comprehend.

First of all, they treat their employees very well and it shows. Always a happy, friendly staff with amazing customer service.

Also, Costco private brands many things under their Kirkland label. For example, I breed and raise champion Labradors and I feed them the Kirkland dry food, which is essentially Eukanuba repackaged. Costco charges about $18 for 40 lbs. vs. $50 for Eukanuba.

In fact, just about anything they put the Kirkland label on is very high quality and usually an amazing value. Another odd example is I just had a massive party where I served primarily Kirkland tequila and Kirkland margarita mix. Everyone raved about the drinks.

Sam's has a much better and comprehensive website but otherwise Costco is miles better in just about every other way. Think Target vs. Walmart.
    I love them for paying their employees decent wages and benefits. They don't try to squeeze profits out of their lowest-level employees. I'll be quitting Sam's lickety-split when Costco gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    My guess is we'll see a location on Memorial, I-240, Norman, and maybe Midwest City.
    I would add probably Northwest Expressway. Somewhere on that long stretch from far west to all the way past Penn Square.

It's great to see them wanting to build here despite our alcohol laws. Just think if we could get them changed...

21. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    It's great to see them wanting to build here despite our alcohol laws. Just think if we could get them changed...
    The COSTCO in my part of Denver sells only 3.2 alcohol so I don't think that's much of an issue for these folks.

You'll see some type of stand alone liquor outlet like they do in other state's with weird alcohol laws

Good for OKC if they get a Costco, Hopefully Cost Plus World Market is next.

If Pete is correct in his reading of this possible location, I am pleased. We always knew that this retailer would select the Memorial Road corridor as a location if it came to OKC. By locating at Western, it has the potential to draw some development east from Penn and across the corridor towards Broadway. This marginally improves the sprawl situation, as it offers the opportunity to fill in some vacant land in that weird little hole between 122nd and Memorial. There's always been some kind of - I don't know - psychological barrier around Penn on the south side of the turnpike. Better here than it being out towards Gallardia or beyond.

There are currently five Sams Clubs in the OKC Metro with a sixth under construction in Edmond.

Hopefully, Costco will be just as aggressive in the market.
    There are two in Austin and both have a Sam's within a mile and there are quite a few other Sam's locations in Austin. A few of the newer Costco stores here Denver have a Sam's relatively close.

We have the Costco Executive and a regular Sam's membership (I think $45.00). When it comes to buy TV's or tires we usually get them at Costco because of the rebate.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The COSTCO in my part of Denver sells only 3.2 alcohol so I don't think that's much of an issue for these folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    You'll see some type of stand alone liquor outlet like they do in other state's with weird alcohol laws
    The ones I have been to in the Denver area (Parker is the closest, Lone Tree, Aurora, Westminster) don't have the leased out adjacent liquor store like the ones in Austin had. As mug stated, they only have 3.2 beer. The ironic thing is the Sam's at Southlands has a similar liquor store arrangement to the Costco stores in Austin but none of the Sam's in Austin have that type of liquor store. I only went into the adjacent liquor store at Costco (they have nothing to do with the liquor store other than leasing out the space to a local operator) once, why bother going there when a Spec's was next to the Sam's at Mopac & Ben White. Both the Sam's in South Austin had a Spec's next door.

Thread Information