Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by FourStarFitness View Post
    Does Costco make you stand in line at the exit to show your receipt? It seems petty, but that's always annoyed me about SAMs club. After I hand you money and get my receipt, I feel the stuff belongs to me. When the store is busy and I have to stand in line at the exit , it makes me leave the store irritated every time.
    Yes, they do but they move you through quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I've never understood why people feel like that but I'm going to criticize anyone for shopping where they choose.

Sorry, not going to watch a 1 1/2 hour movie about why I shouldn't shop at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Sorry, not going to watch a 1 1/2 hour movie about why I shouldn't shop at Walmart.
    To sum it up, it's basically about how towns allow Walmart to come and build in their communities and THEN get pissed at Walmart for their smaller stores going out of business.

Walmart is a perfectly fine corporation and anyone that is mad at them is just looking for something to complain about.

They are the bottom feeders of the retail industry.

In my industry they would be considered scabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    To sum it up, it's basically about how towns allow Walmart to come and build in their communities and THEN get pissed at Walmart for their smaller stores going out of business.

Walmart is a perfectly fine corporation and anyone that is mad at them is just looking for something to complain about.
    It really is a bit more complex than that.

7. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post

Pretty darn successful scabs. The tens of millions who shop there weekly love them, too.

Bottom feeders? 100,000,000+ customers a week, would be the 19th most powerful entity if an economy, 400+ billion dollars in sales on average every year....etc

Bottom feeders? I think a very successful company that makes more than every company in your industry combined.

Bottom feeders? 100,000,000+ customers a week, would be the 19th most powerful entity if an economy, 400+ billion dollars in sales on average every year....etc

Bottom feeders? I think a very successful company that makes more than every company in your industry combined.
    Very successful, yes. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not support them though. I am all for consumers having choice. His bottom feeder comment was more about how they do business and how they pay their employees than how successful the business as a whole is. Let's just say a business that successful can afford to pay their employees better and those at the top will still be raking in the ka-ching.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    It really is a bit more complex than that.
    Yeah kind of, but not really.

Listen man, I go by a simple philosophy here: if you're in business and making money, people support you. If you don't like Walmart, I completely understand. DON'T BLAME WALMART! That is where I have the problem. The people that shop there are the people you should be mad at(which would more than likely be yourself). It is unreal how many people I have personally witnessed bitch about Walmart and how bad it is and then either see them shopping there, hear about them shopping there, or see a Walmart brand item or a plastic bag in their house.

Again, Walmart is heavily supported by the people of this country. It is a fact. I don't give a sh!t how many documentaries or people online say it is bad and falling. It the biggest corporate entity in the world, employs hundreds of thousands of people, makes hundreds of billions of dollars every year, does actually contribute the global economy, and is overall a great company.

Believe it or not, Walmart does value your opinion and pays something like 15,000 people to sit near a phone waiting for your call to address your concerns regarding your experience, the quality of their stores, the friendliness of their employees. I personally know for a fact Walmart will take action if you have a negative experience there. Anything from discounts to free merchandise. I have reported multiple concerns(I actually posted this on another thread) and they have all been addressed, both very swiftly.

Once more, Walmart is a great company that is making tons of money and is very successful. Don't like it, don't shop there. Now if you really hate them and believe they are dragging down the economy, put you money where you mouth is and go out and campaign against them. If you don't want to do that, than I don't know what else to tell you.

Yeah kind of, but not really.

Listen man, I go by a simple philosophy here: if you're in business and making money, people support you. If you don't like Walmart, I completely understand. DON'T BLAME WALMART! That is where I have the problem. The people that shop there are the people you should be mad at(which would more than likely be yourself). It is unreal how many people I have personally witnessed bitch about Walmart and how bad it is and then either see them shopping there, hear about them shopping there, or see a Walmart brand item or a plastic bag in their house.

Again, Walmart is heavily supported by the people of this country. It is a fact. I don't give a sh!t how many documentaries or people online say it is bad and falling. It the biggest corporate entity in the world, employs hundreds of thousands of people, makes hundreds of billions of dollars every year, does actually contribute the global economy, and is overall a great company.

Believe it or not, Walmart does value your opinion and pays something like 15,000 people to sit near a phone waiting for your call to address your concerns regarding your experience, the quality of their stores, the friendliness of their employees. I personally know for a fact Walmart will take action if you have a negative experience there. Anything from discounts to free merchandise. I have reported multiple concerns(I actually posted this on another thread) and they have all been addressed, both very swiftly.

Once more, Walmart is a great company that is making tons of money and is very successful. Don't like it, don't shop there. Now if you really hate them and believe they are dragging down the economy, put you money where you mouth is and go out and campaign against them. If you don't want to do that, than I don't know what else to tell you.
    I see what you are talking about. Yeah that reminds me of my co-worker. He bitches about Wal-Mart yet says he shops there because its cheaper and "one person can't make a difference." Target is across the street from the Wal-Mart he usually goes to and I tried to persuade him to put his money where his mouth is and shop there.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Very successful, yes. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not support them though. I am all for consumers having choice. His bottom feeder comment was more about how they do business and how they pay their employees than how successful the business as a whole is. Let's just say a business that successful can afford to pay their employees better and those at the top will still be raking in the ka-ching.
    How they do business? They buy most of their products from other companies from China as well as manufacturing their own products there and ship them back to the states to make more money. People are going to invest where the money is and right now, China is where people are making billions.

Also, Walmart is paying their employees the required minimum wage. When you go for Walmart, you are informed what you will be making. The operate within the legal requirements as given to them and the only people to blame are the people that CHOOSE to work for them. How stupid can you be to go work for a company that is notorious for paying their employees the bare minimum and then complain about being paid the bare minimum. What a joke. Almost as bad as these idiots that want to get paid $15/hr for flipping hamburgers.

I see what you are talking about. Yeah that reminds me of my co-worker. He bitches about Wal-Mart yet says he shops there because its cheaper and "one person can't make a difference." Target is across the street from the Wal-Mart he usually goes to and I tried to persuade him to put his money where his mouth is and shop there.
    Yeeeeap. In reality he is right, he won't make difference to Walmart, but he'll be walking instead of talking and that is a plus to anyones status quo in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind, Target also imports a LOT from China.

Yeeeeap. In reality he is right, he won't make difference to Walmart, but he'll be walking instead of talking and that is a plus to anyones status quo in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind, Target also imports a LOT from China.
    There aren't very many places you can shop these days that most stuff is not made in China. The importance of not shopping at Wal-Mart (if that is indeed one's conviction) is more centered around supporting the competition than it is about hurting Wal-Mart. Especially in places like OKC as well as most of rural America, Wal-Mart isn't going to miss your dollar or even realize they didn't get it, but the competition needs it to stay afloat. Shopping elsewhere will ensure consumers have choice.

There aren't very many places you can shop these days that most stuff is not made in China. The importance of not shopping at Wal-Mart (if that is indeed one's conviction) is more centered around supporting the competition than it is about hurting Wal-Mart. Especially in places like OKC as well as most of rural America, Wal-Mart isn't going to miss your dollar or even realize they didn't get it, but the competition needs it to stay afloat. Shopping elsewhere will ensure consumers have choice.
    Then shop elsewhere bro, it is that simple.

There are plenty of profitable bottom feeder companies. Shrimp are a premium food but are still bottom feeders. WalMart buys and distributes the cheapest quality products using the cheapest grade materials, on the backs of the cheapest labor they can find. Bottom feeder. Whether you like it or not, panda. They fit that definition.

Then shop elsewhere bro, it is that simple.
    He does.

So we have choice and that argument is invalid.

There are plenty of profitable bottom feeder companies. Shrimp are a premium food but are still bottom feeders. WalMart buys and distributes the cheapest quality products using the cheapest grade materials, on the backs of the cheapest labor they can find. Bottom feeder. Whether you like it or not, panda. They fit that definition.
    Fair enough. I suppose though being a bottom feeder is where the money is at then.

Fair enough. I suppose though being a bottom feeder is where the money is at then.
    In some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    In some cases.
    Not necessarily... Plenty of companies treat their employees well, while using good products and remain price competitive to their bottom feeding competition.

Walmart would be profitable if they paid their employees better. This is a case of "we could make $2 dollars and have happy employees and good products; or we could make $4 dollars and get away with low labor costs, high turnover, and lower quality products"

It's fundamental. It's greed. When you are the size of Walmart, you can force quality to come last in the equation, because you eliminate most of the choices. Your customer has to shop somewhere.

Not necessarily... Plenty of companies treat their employees well, while using good products and remain price competitive to their bottom feeding competition.

Walmart would be profitable if they paid their employees better. This is a case of "we could make $2 dollars and have happy employees and good products; or we could make $4 dollars and get away with low labor costs, high turnover, and lower quality products"

It's fundamental. It's greed. When you are the size of Walmart, you can force quality to come last in the equation, because you eliminate most of the choices. Your customer has to shop somewhere.
    Large, institutional shareholders drive a lot of that greed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Large, institutional shareholders drive a lot of that greed as well.
    Yep, most industries are turning that way. My company is laying people off, despite our yearly profits; we aren't meeting investors expectations. So..cut. snip.

That's why I said in some cases, not all the time. I agree with you. If I were to run a company, I would keep my employees in my best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    That's why I said in some cases, not all the time. I agree with you. If I were to run a company, I would keep my employees in my best interest.
    Sorry wasn't paying attention. Thought you wrote "In most cases."

Thread Information