Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

With all the talk that Costco doesn't want to locate close to Sam's, I looked at the location of the Lubbock store, and it's not that far from their Sam's Club.

2. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    With all the talk that Costco doesn't want to locate close to Sam's, I looked at the location of the Lubbock store, and it's not that far from their Sam's Club.
    I still can't believe Lubbock has one and we don't. Can't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I still can't believe Lubbock has one and we don't. Can't believe it.
    They are able to sell high point beer, wine, and even liquor there. Stores like Costco and grocers are a lot more enthusiastic about entering a market where they have that kind of guaranteed profit. I don't think you would see Costco in a similar market in a 3.2 state. Dodge City, Kansas for instance doesn't have Costco and likely never will. Costco will come to Oklahoma though, its just more of a risk for them so that's why they've held out so long.

I am thinking that having the first Costco in OKC next to a Sam's Club would probably be a good idea. The Texas Costco's stores that I have been too have always had 3 to 4 times more people in them than the Sam's Clubs that are within 2 to 5 miles of them. Think how busy the first Costco in OKC is going to be and at least when we are looking at full parking lot at the Costco we will have a close Sam's Club to use for a backup although we will not be happy about it. Did you guys see the article in the Lubbock paper where the new Costco manger there said Costco would be opening a lot more Costco's in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. I thought it was kinda funny because if they opened one in Oklahoma it infinenitly more than we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Dodge City, Kansas for instance doesn't have Costco and likely never will. Costco will come to Oklahoma though, its just more of a risk for them so that's why they've held out so long.
    LOL, I'm sure there are multitudes of businesses that Dodge City will never have that OKC either has or will have.

No Costco in Wichita also. They have them in KCK though. Yeah it is sad that Lubbok wins there..

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    ... Yeah it is sad that Lubbok wins there..
    I agree. OKC as a whole is a retail desert and loses out to cities half its size, especially when it comes to "everyday" stores like Costco and good grocery stores. It's really strange.

Costco will be here by New Years 2016 though...hopefully.

I've never been in a Costco, how similar is it to a Sam's club?

OKC has some great local stores - some of the best I've seen anywhere. That gets overlooked in the discussion. We have mostly lousy grocery stores. We dont get the love from chains, but mostly I don't care. To me Costco is just a more yuppy-friendly Sams and I doubt I would shop there either. Too much angst about Costco, IMO.

They are able to sell high point beer, wine, and even liquor there. Stores like Costco and grocers are a lot more enthusiastic about entering a market where they have that kind of guaranteed profit. I don't think you would see Costco in a similar market in a 3.2 state. Dodge City, Kansas for instance doesn't have Costco and likely never will. Costco will come to Oklahoma though, its just more of a risk for them so that's why they've held out so long.
    Colorado Springs has 2 Costco's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    OKC has some great local stores - some of the best I've seen anywhere. That gets overlooked in the discussion. We have mostly lousy grocery stores. We dont get the love from chains, but mostly I don't care. To me Costco is just a more yuppy-friendly Sams and I doubt I would shop there either. Too much angst about Costco, IMO.
    I would go to Costco, but I agree, there are some great local places. Some of the best restaurants I've been to are here in Oklahoma City, & I've traveled as far east as Savannah, GA to as far west as Seaside, OR & everywhere in between. I try my best to "keep it local" when shopping for anything & have discovered some great little places that offer some really unique things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50 View Post
    It will be very nice to finally have a Costco in Oklahoma no matter if it ends up in OKC or Tulsa first. My wife and I go to Dallas and Fort Worth area 2 or 3 times a year just to go to the Costco's and sometimes the Fry's electronics. Every time we go to the Lewisville, TX Costco we ask when Oklahoma is going to get our own Costco and two years ago they said they were not sure why we did not have one yet but over 1/3 of their customers come from Oklahoma. We went in the first week of October to the Lewisville Costco last year we asked again if there was any news of Oklahoma getting a Costco and the associate we talked to said that they had been in a Texas Costco manger meeting and that Oklahoma City would have a Costco in year. From the way they talked I figured they already had a spot picked out. I am from the Tulsa area and if you guys do get your Costco first I will be over there on opening day and every other weekend till ours opens. We can all thank Texas for shopping so much at the Costco's that they are finally going to give Oklahoma a chance.
    What are you buying at those Costcos that you can't get at other retailers?

The reason one goes to Costco or Sam's is bulk buying. Businesses large and small have accounts, small schools have accounts, etc. I (and betts, being a Dr forgive me) love buying my bacon in bulk at Sam's. Can get a 60 slice bag of precooked Hormel for about 8 bucks. That's some serious bacon. And I love bacon.

Our local stores are great, but not for bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    What are you buying at those Costcos that you can't get at other retailers?
    As a big fan of Costco, I'll answer that:

- Dog food. Costco private brands Eukaneuba and sells it for less than half the price. (I have three large Labs and go through a 40 lb. bag once a month)
    - Baked goods. Great bakery - warm, French bread and others -- at really cheap prices
    - Entertaining: anything in bulk, like beer, wine, alcohol, cups, plates, appetizers, etc.
    - Wine: Sell single bottles of quality product at fantastic prices
    - Lawn items like fertilizer and plants: much cheaper.
    - Bagged salad: Huge bag for $3 or so.
    - Rotisserie Chicken: $5 for a huge, delicious bird.
    - Meat: great cuts at very reasonable prices
    - Ground turkey: buy a ton and freeze it. Cheaper than hamburger at most groceries.

And a ton of other things that other stores may carry, but at considerably higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The reason one goes to Costco or Sam's is bulk buying. Businesses large and small have accounts, small schools have accounts, etc. I (and betts, being a Dr forgive me) love buying my bacon in bulk at Sam's. Can get a 60 slice bag of precooked Hormel for about 8 bucks. That's some serious bacon. And I love bacon.

Our local stores are great, but not for bulk.
    Just want to clarify, I'm talking about local in general. If it comes to shopping for groceries, then you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As a big fan of Costco, I'll answer that:

- Dog food. Costco private brands Eukaneuba and sells it for less than half the price. (I have three large Labs and go through a 40 lb. bag once a month)
    - Baked goods. Great bakery - warm, French bread and others -- at really cheap prices
    - Entertaining: anything in bulk, like beer, wine, alcohol, cups, plates, appetizers, etc.
    - Wine: Sell single bottles of quality product at fantastic prices
    - Lawn items like fertilizer and plants: much cheaper.
    - Bagged salad: Huge bag for $3 or so.
    - Rotisserie Chicken: $5 for a huge, delicious bird.
    - Meat: great cuts at very reasonable prices
    - Ground turkey: buy a ton and freeze it. Cheaper than hamburger at most groceries.

And a ton of other things that other stores may carry, but at considerably higher prices.
    Are their prices that much better than Sams? A lot of those things you listed are available at Sams. I understand about the buying in bulk as I shop at Sams. And Sams does have some things that you don't see in other stores. But you only save on those things if you usually buy name brand items anyway. You can usually get store brand items much cheaper than name brand items at Sams without having to buy in bulk. And I understand there are people who only buy name brand things even if store brand is similar quality.

Personally I don't like to support Wal-Mart and I don't think I'm alone in that. It will be good for OKC to have other options. It's easy to simply say "go to Wal-Mart" but in a city this size one shouldn't have to. Why do people shop at Target when most things they carry can also be had at Wal-Mart, sometimes for a few cents cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    The ones in Austin are within a mile or so of Sam's. There is a bit more distance between some of them up here in Denver, some are fairly close though.

Personally I don't like to support Wal-Mart and I don't think I'm alone in that. It will be good for OKC to have other options. It's easy to simply say "go to Wal-Mart" but in a city this size one shouldn't have to. Why do people shop at Target when most things they carry can also be had at Wal-Mart, sometimes for a few cents cheaper.
    I've never understood why people feel like that but I'm going to criticize anyone for shopping where they choose.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Are their prices that much better than Sams? A lot of those things you listed are available at Sams. I understand about the buying in bulk as I shop at Sams. And Sams does have some things that you don't see in other stores. But you only save on those things if you usually buy name brand items anyway. You can usually get store brand items much cheaper than name brand items at Sams without having to buy in bulk. And I understand there are people who only buy name brand things even if store brand is similar quality.
    I think prices are similar but Sam's doesn't carry the Kirkland dog food or any of the private Costco (Kirkland) brands, which are always of very high quality and value.

For example, their toilet paper is legendary. It's fantastic quality and very cheap. Everyone that shops there seems to buy it. Same with paper towels and hundreds of other things.

Plus, the stores are cleaner, brighter, with wider aisles and the customer service is almost too friendly and helpful.

It's hard to explain but a million little differences add up. There is a Sam's Club nearby but I've only been it a couple of times. I'm in my Costco at least once a month.

Costco has better organic selection of food at a cheaper price than Sam's Club. Costco's max markup on items is 15% and most items are only marked up 10%. Take Mobil One synthetic oil for example at Sam's Club they sell it for around 36 dollars for 6 bottle case and Costco might be a dollar cheaper but they have a 10 dollar instant rebate 2 or 3 times a year which makes it a lot cheaper. I have been to Costco's in at least 15 different states and I have never seen gasoline prices cheaper than Costco's price and they normally beat the competition by 10 to 15 cents a gallon and they always beat Sam's Clubs price. Last year each of the gas stations at the Costco's averaged 27 million a year in sales. I do prefer Sam's Club hot dog combo.

They are now, but up until a few years ago, Lubbock was completely dry.

When is Cabella's still happening?

It's probably my favorite store.
    I will make the drive as I'm sure many others will too.

Thanks

I don't think anything will be opening at this site -- including Cabela's -- for at least a year.

It's a huge project that will require lots of site work before any tenants start their work.

Does Costco make you stand in line at the exit to show your receipt? It seems petty, but that's always annoyed me about SAMs club. After I hand you money and get my receipt, I feel the stuff belongs to me. When the store is busy and I have to stand in line at the exit , it makes me leave the store irritated every time.

Thread Information