Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    She probably read it on OKC Talk or somebody who read it here told her.
    Posters like myself especially and a couple others have relayed the message that there are conflicting sources and that it's by no means a sure thing. If she says its a "done deal" it wouldn't have been by reading this site alone.

The latest I have heard about Costco is they will be going to Tulsa (101st & Memorial) then to OKC in about a year from now.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the woman in Minnesota is just repeating what was previously posted here, as that story was picked up all over the place, shared on Facebook, etc.

In that same center as the proposed Costco at Memorial & Western, I've also heard an upscale grocer -- not Whole Foods or Trader Joe's -- will be the first to move in. Cabella's is still happening but it looks like Skybox Golf is far enough ahead on it's project (starting very soon) that TopGolf is now looking elsewhere in the OKC area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The latest I have heard about Costco is they will be going to Tulsa (101st & Memorial) then to OKC in about a year from now.

And yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the woman in Minnesota is just repeating what was previously posted here, as that story was picked up all over the place, shared on Facebook, etc.

In that same center as the proposed Costco at Memorial & Western, I've also heard an upscale grocer -- not Whole Foods or Trader Joe's -- will be the first to move in. Cabella's is still happening but it looks like Skybox Golf is far enough ahead on it's project (starting very soon) that TopGolf is now looking elsewhere in the OKC area.
    Any ideas who this grocer will be?

Top Golf would be cool to have down by the river.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Any ideas who this grocer will be?
    Would have said so if I knew.

I was thinking bchris may know who the grocer was, since he also had inside info on the Costco deal.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I was thinking bchris may know who the grocer was, since he also had inside info on the Costco deal.
    My psychic ability tells me it will be a Central Market.

A representative from HEB specifically told me they are not expanding outside of Texas or Mexico. If I were a betting man, I'd say Kroger.

That sucks. At least they are coming here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A representative from HEB specifically told me they are not expanding outside of Texas or Mexico. If I were a betting man, I'd say Kroger.
    If Kroger enters the market my guess is they would announce multiple locations especially being that they would have to set up a new infrastructure. This could be one of those locations. Maybe it will be a signature Kroger, which is their more upscale concept. Little Rock has one and it's awesome.

It could be an independent (like Uptown in Edmond) or Reasor's.

I really don't know, but that's my best guess.

I have not heard of any of the larger chains looking at OKC other than Trader Joe's.

12. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Noted. I just wonder if all the TV news folks will be as responsible as Pete and inform their viewers that their news stories (which were ripping off Pete) were wrong. I won't hold my breath.
    For what it's worth, Pete and I are now in complete agreement on this story as it stands now (my sources 'think' Cabella's is close to being a deal). I will add that Skybox Golf has been looking at multiple sites throughout the city. My sources still tell me Costco will ultimately end up elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Noted. I just wonder if all the TV news folks will be as responsible as Pete and inform their viewers that their news stories (which were ripping off Pete) were wrong. I won't hold my breath.
    For what it's worth, Pete and I are now in complete agreement on this story as it stands now (my sources 'think' Cabella's is close to being a deal). I will add that Skybox Golf has been looking at multiple sites throughout the city. My sources still tell me Costco will ultimately end up elsewhere.
    Costco better hurry up and select a site as fast as Sam's Club is building. Do you know if they are anywhere close to doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    That's good news about Cabela's. Also hope Costco is building here as it would be nice to see a great development like this with a concentrated number of high(er)-end stores.

This is disappointing news. If Costco is waiting to see how the Tulsa location does before building in OKC, they may have a difficult time selecting a site if they do fear Sam's Club so much to not want to be within a certain distance of a store, or sandwiched between two. My guess currently would be Penn Square area if they can get a site. It's close to Nichols Hills, and currently an adequate distance from Sam's Club in all directions. That may change by 2016 or 2017.

Now that I think of it, the Fresh Market is a likely candidate for the grocery store in this development. They are in surrounding markets including Tulsa and Little Rock, and are expanding, and are considered "upscale," and are not Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

This is disappointing news. If Costco is waiting to see how the Tulsa location does before building in OKC, they may have a difficult time selecting a site if they do fear Sam's Club so much to not want to be within a certain distance of a store, or sandwiched between two. My guess currently would be Penn Square area if they can get a site. It's close to Nichols Hills, and currently an adequate distance from Sam's Club in all directions. That may change by 2016 or 2017.
    Do you just make this stuff up in your own mind? I mean, where do you come up with these guesses? I have no idea when and where Costco might go but you just spout out crap like you know what you are talking about. Tell me, where in the hell in the penn square/Nichols hills area will costco find 25+ acres to build a store? You know not of what you speak of.

I wonder if this spot could work for them?

Here is a bigger map

I doubt it, plupan. The access doesn't look very good.

Not only is the access not good there, the economics are never going to work to make such a thing happen…those are flyovers connecting Lincoln and 44…

If this was an area Costco was remotely interested in (and I don't think this area would be), they'd probably take up some space on 50th near Lincoln. Lots of potential sites to tear down…but the rooftops and incomes are just not there in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Do you just make this stuff up in your own mind? I mean, where do you come up with these guesses? I have no idea when and where Costco might go but you just spout out crap like you know what you are talking about. Tell me, where in the hell in the penn square/Nichols hills area will costco find 25+ acres to build a store? You know not of what you speak of.
    It was just a guess on my part. My initial instinct may have been correct on the Western/Memorial site. If concentrated wealth + adequate distance from Sam's Club is what they are looking for, where will it work?

OKC, as part of a long-term plan needs to focus on increasing concentration of wealth and this can be done by gentrifying contiguous areas of the city. That way one day OKC may no longer take a back seat to Tulsa when it comes to national retailers and other entities that rely solely on numbers.

Nobody said they will wait to see how the Tulsa location does -- just that it will open first.

That costco associate who i talked to in Minnesota was talking about what she was told from inside costco, she didn't refer to any blogs.

Even if their was some mythical void where Costco could open a store with ZERO competition from Walmart. Costco officials are smart enough to know that Walmart would not hesitate to immediately start the process of building their own store nearby as soon as they hear about Costco's store. The idea that Costco fears Walmart is silly. Their are a whole bunch of other factors they consider.

You don't see CVS or Walgreen's avoiding each other.

I would wager that Coscto's capital expense budget isn't nearly as large as Walmart's so they build far fewer new stores a year than Walmart so of course their going to build where they get the most return on their investment.

It will be very nice to finally have a Costco in Oklahoma no matter if it ends up in OKC or Tulsa first. My wife and I go to Dallas and Fort Worth area 2 or 3 times a year just to go to the Costco's and sometimes the Fry's electronics. Every time we go to the Lewisville, TX Costco we ask when Oklahoma is going to get our own Costco and two years ago they said they were not sure why we did not have one yet but over 1/3 of their customers come from Oklahoma. We went in the first week of October to the Lewisville Costco last year we asked again if there was any news of Oklahoma getting a Costco and the associate we talked to said that they had been in a Texas Costco manger meeting and that Oklahoma City would have a Costco in year. From the way they talked I figured they already had a spot picked out. I am from the Tulsa area and if you guys do get your Costco first I will be over there on opening day and every other weekend till ours opens. We can all thank Texas for shopping so much at the Costco's that they are finally going to give Oklahoma a chance.

Thread Information