Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by zachj7 View Post
    Lubbock... Really...? That's sad that they get a Costco before us. What does Lubbock have over us?
    The ability to sell strong beer and wine. Plus, its in Texas.

Yay for Lubbock. Guess they are more attractive than OKC for Costco.

It would seem that Costco should go into Rochester, New Orleans, Buffalo, Albany before OKC by the metrics of demographics and population. I hope these rumors are true of a Costco opening up doors in OKC, but I hold a pretty pessimistic view of OKC luring places like TJ's and Costco when other cities that should have them don't quite yet. I know these are west coast retailers.

Quickly looking at cities with Costco (and TJ's). The CSA's comparable to population of OKC that may have costco, trader joes (for kicks)...

Louisville (1.48 million): 1 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    New Orleans (1.45 million): 0 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Grand Rapids (1.40 million): 2 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Greevnille (1.85 million): 2 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Memphis (1.37 million): 2 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    OKC (1.37 million): 0 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Birmingham (1.31 million): 1 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Harrisburg (1.23 million): 1 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Buffalo (1.21 million): 0 Costco, 0 Trader Joes
    Rochester (1.18 million): 0 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Albany (1.17 million): 0 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Albuquerque (1.16 million): 3 Costco, 2 Trader joes

More just for kicks,

Dallas (7.10 million): 9? Costco, 3 Trader Joes
    Kansas City (2.38 million): 4 Costco, 2 Trader Joes
    Omaha (0.92 million): 1 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Des Moines (0.74 million): 1 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Iowa City (0.42 million): 1 Costco, 1 Trader Joes
    Lincoln (0.33 million): 0 Costco, 1 Trader Joes

What the hell... Now I'm jealous. Des Moines, Iowa City, and Lincoln have a trader joes? Must be the alcohol laws.

Then please tell the Republican legislators at the State Capitol to brave up and abolish prohibitive or stupid, archaic alcohol laws. We're grown up enough by now to be able to do without 3.2% beer. It shouldn't be too scary to sell wine in grocery stores.

Any updates

OKC needs more choices in Retail. I hope this turns into a very successful development, giving OKC more shopping choices. Costco, in my opinion, is waaaaay better than Sam's Club.

I already like Costco for the reason that they did not play in the Too Early For Black Friday Race. From what I understand, they were closed today and are opening at the regular time tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    OKC needs more choices in Retail. I hope this turns into a very successful development, giving OKC more shopping choices. Costco, in my opinion, is waaaaay better than Sam's Club.
    I agree. It's really hard to believe that a city this large has such limited choices. Hopefully that changes within the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MWCGuy View Post
    I already like Costco for the reason that they did not play in the Too Early For Black Friday Race. From what I understand, they were closed today and are opening at the regular time tomorrow.
    Their direct competitor Sam's Club was closed on Thanksgiving as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Their direct competitor Sam's Club was closed on Thanksgiving as well.
    You're correct. They were closed yesterday, and were only open regular business hours today.

When, I lived in Miami Lakes, Fl. There were 3 clubs within 10 miles. Costco, BJ's, and Sams Club. I would love a Costco. I am sure people would drive from Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
    When, I lived in Miami Lakes, Fl. There were 3 clubs within 10 miles. Costco, BJ's, and Sams Club. I would love a Costco. I am sure people would drive from Tulsa.
    Probably not if Tulsa gets one first as is being widely speculated.

Any new news?

Guys....

Anticipation is killing me. Any news????

There are two sets of sources with two lines of thought on this.

A) The only part of the Memorial development that will happen is the St Anthony complex and the Main Event center. Costco was originally involved but they pulled out when the Edmond Sam's Club was announced. Per this source, Costco doesn't want to be sandwiched between two Sam's Club locations. If this source is correct, I will be surprised if Costco ever comes to OKC without a change in the liquor laws to give them more of a profit cushion.

B) This development is still in the works and Costco along with several other new retailers will be anchoring the new shopping center.

My opinion that one is just as likely as the other. Being a cynical person, I tend to believe option A but I am a naturally pessimistic person so take that with a grain of salt. Either way, I honestly wouldn't hold my breath and I would be surprised if there was an announcement in the near future. If option A is correct, Costco better select a location and get moving ASAP if they want to be in this market because Wal-Mart is really ramping up construction of Sam's Clubs and Supercenters in the OKC metro.

There is a ton of dirt moving right next to the healthplex. Im sure if was Costco, Pete would be all over it.

I think Walmart is being very smart and knows OKC is going to have a huge future and will be bringing in a lot of national brands. In my opinion which is why they're working so hard and fast right now to secure great locations and build fast.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    I think Walmart is being very smart and knows OKC is going to have a huge future and will be bringing in a lot of national brands. In my opinion which is why they're working so hard and fast right now to secure great locations and build fast.
    It's smart business on part of Wal-Mart even though it isn't good for OKC and diversity of choices here.

I was at costco in Rochester Minnesota yesterday, which just opened a few month ago, and when the lady at the optical department learned that I am from Oklahoma, she told me that there are 2 stores coming to Oklahoma (state) this year, and she was waiting on the official announcement so she can put for transfer to okc.

When I asked her is that a speculation on her behalf, she told me no that it was a done deal, and that she was already looking for houses in Edmond!!!!!

So I guess the western memorial thing is really happening.

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    I was at costco in Rochester Minnesota yesterday, which just opened a few month ago, and when the lady at the optical department learned that I am from Oklahoma, she told me that there are 2 stores coming to Oklahoma (state) this year, and she was waiting on the official announcement so she can put for transfer to okc.

When I asked her is that a speculation on her behalf, she told me no that it was a done deal, and that she was already looking for houses in Edmond!!!!!

Awesome! Thanks for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for posting this!
    A little piece of Charlotte just came to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    A little piece of Charlotte just came to Oklahoma.
    ...or Dallas or Memphis or Kansas City. Costco coming here is a pretty big deal.

...or Dallas or Memphis or Kansas City. Costco coming here is a pretty big deal.
    I know, I'm just jiving your turkey

24. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post

She probably read it on OKC Talk or somebody who read it here told her.

Or Montgomery, AL or Boise, ID or Sioux Falls, SD. Let's give the little cities some love, too.

Thread Information