Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1772

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Costco updated their iOS app recently. You now can have your card digitally in there instead of carrying a physical one.
    I've found the Android app to be a lot less helpful than the Sam's counterpart. It does not keep me logged in, and it always changes the shipping zip code to some random number that's not even close to my zip code. Hopefully they improve it. I'm still getting used to figuring out the Costco store layout.

OKC's Costco is adding an optical kiosk.

Under a new law passed earlier this year, big-box retailers can start offering products and eye exams as of Nov. 1 in counties over 300K in population (only OK & Tulsa qualify).

The same capabilities will be rolled out into less-populated counties over the next few decades.

Based on my experience in California, they have really good prices.

Interesting that the law for that went through anyway, I figured we were done with it when the SQ failed.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Interesting that the law for that went through anyway, I figured we were done with it when the SQ failed.
    There were a lot of compromises on both sides.

For example, there will be a gradual rollout and the smallest counties won't have this option until 2042. Yes, 2042.

Wow. I know that government tends to operate on longer timeframes, but that's a bit much.

6. Default Re: Costco

Cleveland county is very, very close to 300K as well, maybe just a few years to go. Canadian county is also coming up maybe 10 years. Very long time, if ever, for any other counties in Oklahoma.

I could easily see a Costco in Norman and one in W OKC/Yukon and I want to see an urban Costco in the core. That would probably do it for the OKC metro area though, 4 is a good number.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Costco now has 6 self checkout stations. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7C51C219-E126-4FFC-96AB-F4F9D4CFAF30.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	15656

^

Holy cow.

I didn't think they did that anywhere. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Holy cow.

I didn't think they did that anywhere. Thanks for posting.
    They have several cashiers with scan guns to get the large items, it was very smooth.

I know they made the decision to eliminate them from their stores in 2013.

I just read they are installing them in 125 of their almost 800 stores, particularly those with a lot of activity.

BTW, I was told this store is one of their top-performing in the the U.S. and that it has exceeded their projections.

I just read they are installing them in 125 of their almost 800 stores, particularly those with a lot of activity.

BTW, I was told this store is one of their top-performing in the the U.S. and that it has exceeded their projections
    Good to hear! It seems to always be the case, but it is still neat to hear it each time!

BTW, I was told this store is one of their top-performing in the the U.S. and that it has exceeded their projections.
    Seems to be a common trend when retailers finally open up okc locations

Wow. Definitely terminating my Membership effective as of tomorrow.

I don’t pay an annual fee to check myself out. Anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

They still have traditional checkout lanes.

Chuck,
    It's almost always an option. Personally, I like it because there's no line, but lately I don't like it because of my physical condition.
    C. T.

Hmm I i was in Costco a couple days ago and saw some new objects all wrapped up in the cashier area. That must be what they were.

I was told by the pharmacy manager that on November 1 there would be an Optical Department, so I assumed those wrapped up things were for it. Wrong. However he also stated that they would have an Optometrist Office there but it would not be inside the building. It would have its own door in the corner of where the carts are kept, in the open area under the roof.

17. Default Re: Costco

Chill! They aren't eliminating the human checkouts. COSTCO has long been missing a lane for quick-hit 1-2 item purchases. Thats all.

I am one who doesn’t like self checkouts. But there is a difference in how companies deploy them.

1. Company A (think WalMart) installs them to eliminate workers. Yet no price discount. And cashier lines are way long because they only have 2 to 4 staffed lanes out of over 20.

2. Company B (think Crest) installs them as a convenience to those customers who like using them, but not to eliminate workers. They still keep all checkout lines staffed as normal. Can still get fast checkout at cashier lines but have the option of self checkout as a service.

That to me is the difference. It seems to me Costco is only adding them but not deducting normal checkout lanes which I am fine with

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I am one who doesn’t like self checkouts. But there is a difference in how companies deploy them.

1. Company A (think WalMart) installs them to eliminate workers. Yet no price discount. And cashier lines are way long because they only have 2 to 4 staffed lanes out of over 20.

2. Company B (think Crest) installs them as a convenience to those customers who like using them, but not to eliminate workers. They still keep all checkout lines staffed as normal. Can still get fast checkout at cashier lines but have the option of self checkout as a service.

That to me is the difference. It seems to me Costco is only adding them but not deducting normal checkout lanes which I am fine with

Yes, and I would argue not having them was actually costing them business.

The younger generation loves technology and kiosks. Assuming it works right of course. A scan and go app needs to be there next feature they add.

20. Default Re: Costco

You can tell the difference between the approaches if you go in during the overnight hours. Walmart has all their lanes closed except for one cashier manning the self-checkout area. Crest has the cashier in an actual register checking people out (with the manager helping check people out at the customer service desk as needed).

The only reason I prefer Sam's Club -- other than having a closer location -- is their use of self-checkout and the Scan & Go app.

I only had Costco in L.A. and I grew to love it but every trip was an ordeal and the long checkout lines were a big part of that.

I'll go more ofter now that OKC's store has this feature. And it should help shorten the traditional lines as well.

I just don't see the downside.

22. Default Re: Costco

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yes, and I would argue not having them was actually costing them business.

The younger generation loves technology and kiosks. Assuming it works right of course. A scan and go app needs to be there next feature they add.
    I agree - and I'm definitely not the 'younger generation' - one of the main reasons the wife and I hardly go to Costco is it's too inconvenient to shop there. With no self-checkout being #2 on that list. #1 being no Scan and Go app.

23. Default Re: Costco

Ehhh. plenty of jobs are routinely eliminated by changes in the market. It's not a 'Walmart' thing. Jobs are lost, and new jobs are created.

Can't think of the last time I even considered using a manned cash register if some sort of self-checkout was an option.

That said, when self-checkout first came about I hated it simply because it often didn't work; price not in the system, you were required to place item in the bagging area, etc. I never experience that these days.

I've never understood the argument about job loss...

Should we have not had the industrial revolution and still have most the populace performing back-breaking work?

MENIAL jobs are lost and HIGH PAYING jobs are gained. Certainly not in equal numbers but then again it's very inexpensive to get higher education in this country and/or technical training and learn a vocation that will get you higher pay. (Some schools are very expensive but virtually everywhere there are bargain JC's and vo-tech's.)

How many great jobs have been created through technology?

When I started work as a real estate broker in 1982, we still had a typing pool. Yes, a room full of women and typewriters who would crank out our correspondence. Did PC's and email ruin all those great jobs too? Should there have been an uproar when automated switching technology came along and scores of people were no longer required to sit in small rooms and move plugs from one port to another?

It's just such a silly way to look at things, especially with unemployment rates at near all-time lows and the average person living a lifestyle that was reserved for only the upper class just a generation or two ago. And BTW, if you want to get paid $15-$20/hour for unskilled labor, there are many other options in town.

I’m sure Pete will feel different when Artificial Intelligence can submit interview requests and via machine learning, imitate the feel of a journalist and replicate his job.

AI and machine learning is already taking a huge chunk out of data processing for large corporations. Instead of a team of 40 analysts, a company can get away with 20 because the computers can analyze data with little human input.

It’s the way things are going but that doesn’t mean it’s a great idea.

Thread Information