Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1301

Thread: Costco

  1. #76

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    The lack of competition also doesn't hurt...

  2. #77

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Demographics only show incomes and the like but do not take into consideration general cost of living factors and disposable income.

    Incomes in Oklahoma are lower than many other states but because the cost of living is so low, people tend to have lots of disposable income.

    So, the typical numbers used don't tell the full story. And as more and more retailers move in and experience great success, that will be easier to convey to other prospects.


    Remember, the Chamber has a full-time person who does nothing but court new retailers. There are also incentives available.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    There are a lot of example as to why the demographics don't represent the true story in OKC. For example the Horison Group that built the outlet mall exceed their projected sales and added on right away. Penn square is one of many properties owned by Simon. As of last year it was the best performing mall in their chain. the Macy's in Penn Square is one of the top grossing Macys stores in the chain. We may not look good on paper but our recors speaks for itself.

    Though I imagine it is a significantly lesser gross, I have heard the Buckle at PSM is one of their better volume locations.

  4. #79

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    On the otherhand, there are cases where a retailer was planning on both a Tulsa and OKC location, and the OKC location gets the shaft because the Tulsa location didn't perform up to expectations. There was a recent case of this but I forget which retailer it was. It was something that most certainly would have been supported in OKC. Sometimes retail we get in OKC depends on how well it does in Tulsa.

    It would be great if somehow an OKC and Tulsa location for Costco could be announced at the same time. Costco isn't an upscale retailer. I don't see a reason, even using the formulas they use, that they should consider OKC to be riskier than Tulsa.

  5. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    On the otherhand, there are cases where a retailer was planning on both a Tulsa and OKC location, and the OKC location gets the shaft because the Tulsa location didn't perform up to expectations. There was a recent case of this but I forget which retailer it was. It was something that most certainly would have been supported in OKC.
    I think you're talking about La Madeleine's.

  6. #81

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    On the otherhand, there are cases where a retailer was planning on both a Tulsa and OKC location, and the OKC location gets the shaft because the Tulsa location didn't perform up to expectations. There was a recent case of this but I forget which retailer it was. It was something that most certainly would have been supported in OKC. Sometimes retail we get in OKC depends on how well it does in Tulsa.

    It would be great if somehow an OKC and Tulsa location for Costco could be announced at the same time. Costco isn't an upscale retailer. I don't see a reason, even using the formulas they use, that they should consider OKC to be riskier than Tulsa.
    A prime example of OKC getting the shaft is LaMadeleine's French Bakery. The company opened a corporate store in Tulsa on Cherry Street about 2 years ago and it is the "lowest performing" store in the entire company and there are about 62 locations across the USA..I frequent the LaMadeleine's in Frisco on Hwy 121 and was told by 2 different management staff that OKC will probably not get one because of Tulsa's poor performance. On the contrary,I believe it would quite well in OKC because I have also heard from management staff at the stores down here in DFW that they get tons of OKC people eating in their cafes and always asking when will OKC get one? Do not understand why they would be doing poor in Tulsa as all their other stores nationwide do well!
    Last edited by progressiveboy; 09-16-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added word and spelling

  7. #82

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    On the otherhand, there are cases where a retailer was planning on both a Tulsa and OKC location, and the OKC location gets the shaft because the Tulsa location didn't perform up to expectations. There was a recent case of this but I forget which retailer it was. It was something that most certainly would have been supported in OKC. Sometimes retail we get in OKC depends on how well it does in Tulsa.

    It would be great if somehow an OKC and Tulsa location for Costco could be announced at the same time. Costco isn't an upscale retailer. I don't see a reason, even using the formulas they use, that they should consider OKC to be riskier than Tulsa.
    Sorry in advance if there are any Tulsa lovers and/or livers on this board that read this, but I wouldn't mind seeing an OKC only announcement.

  8. #83

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Sorry in advance if there are any Tulsa lovers and/or livers on this board that read this, but I wouldn't mind seeing an OKC only announcement.
    Me either, but an announcement for both cities would be far better than Tulsa first in then OKC a few years later like a poster above hinted at.

  9. #84

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    A prime example of OKC getting the shaft is LaMadeleine's French Bakery. The company opened a corporate store in Tulsa on Cherry Street about 2 years ago and it is the "lowest performing" store in the entire company and there are about 62 locations across the USA..I frequent the LaMadeleine's in Frisco on Hwy 121 and was told by 2 different management staff that OKC will probably not get one because of Tulsa's poor performance. On the contrary,I believe it would quite well in OKC because I have also heard from management staff at the stores down here in DFW that they get tons of OKC people eating in their cafes and always asking when will OKC get one? Do not understand why they would be doing poor in Tulsa as all their other stores nationwide do well!
    LaMadeleine kinda sucks. Good bread, but as for the rest it's poorly done French inspired fast casual food. If you don't know French food, it's probably ok, but if you really like French it's just plain lame. It's like Airport kiosk French food.

  10. #85

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by Shake2005 View Post
    LaMadeleine kinda sucks. Good bread, but as for the rest it's poorly done French inspired fast casual food. If you don't know French food, it's probably ok, but if you really like French it's just plain lame. It's like Airport kiosk French food.
    Does OKC even have a French restaurant?

  11. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does OKC even have a French restaurant?
    La Baguette Bistro.

  12. #87

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Does OKC even have a French restaurant?
    Have you not been to La Baguette on North May? Easily one of OKC's best restaurants. Owned and operated by brothers Michel and Alain Buthion , who come to our city from Grenoble, France. They are restaurant treasures in Oklahoma. You should go for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.

  13. #88

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    So when to expect any announcements about if costco will come memorial and western. Anybody has an inside scoop.

  14. #89

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    La Baguette Bistro.
    La Baguette Bistro is worlds better than LaMadeleine.

  15. #90

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    I would much rather have a Trader Joe's. I've shopped at Costco with my kids and don't see it as a glaring hole in our local retail offerings. Even the lack of Trader Joe's doesn't bother me much, as I fear they would hurt some of our local stores.

  16. #91

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    I am curious if this will help our liquor laws change in the future:

    High-point Budweiser products approved for Oklahoma | News OK

  17. #92

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I am curious if this will help our liquor laws change in the future:

    High-point Budweiser products approved for Oklahoma | News OK
    http://www.okctalk.com/current-event...-oklahoma.html

  18. #93

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Ah, sorry to be tardy to the party...

  19. #94

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Does this mean refrigeration in the liquor store now? Fat Tire?

  20. #95

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am absolutely sure they will have multiple locations in OKC.

    It only makes sense for the size of the market and their need for economies of scale when it comes to their distribution model.

    I would say at least three in the near future.
    I doubt three. If you look at similar metro areas the size of OKC, they have 1 maybe two locations. New Orleans has zero. Louisville has one. Jacksonville has one. Memphis has two. Milwaukee has two.

    Even metros larger than OKC don't have many. Columbus has a metro population of 1.8 million and only one costco. Indianapolis has only two.

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by circuitboard View Post
    Does this mean refrigeration in the liquor store now? Fat Tire?
    Oh man, if they only sold their Vodka out of a freezer that would save me an 8 hour wait.

  22. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I doubt three. If you look at similar metro areas the size of OKC, they have 1 maybe two locations. New Orleans has zero. Louisville has one. Jacksonville has one. Memphis has two. Milwaukee has two.

    Even metros larger than OKC don't have many. Columbus has a metro population of 1.8 million and only one costco. Indianapolis has only two.
    I think it just comes down to the market. You mention Columbus having one, but Cincinnati metro has 2. The Cleveland area has 3. Toledo is getting a 2nd one and they half the size of OKC. The Detroit area has 10. Grand Rapids has 2. All these cities also have comparable or higher numbers of Sam's Club locations.

    So you really can't just go by Population = This Many Locations and stick with it. Many local dynamics also has to come into play. I think they'll have a tough fight here against Walmart, but perhaps they might also find that a lot of people are wanting to abandon Wally World as fast as possible. If we look at Detroit, those locations are all in the suburbs where the wealth and population is. So it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to see an Edmond, NW OKC, Norman, Yukon, SW OKC, and Midwest City store.

  23. #98

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I doubt three. If you look at similar metro areas the size of OKC, they have 1 maybe two locations. New Orleans has zero. Louisville has one. Jacksonville has one. Memphis has two. Milwaukee has two.

    Even metros larger than OKC don't have many. Columbus has a metro population of 1.8 million and only one costco. Indianapolis has only two.
    Albuquerque which is much smaller than okc has 3 costco locations.....

  24. #99

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    Albuquerque which is much smaller than okc has 3 costco locations.....

    And by the way they are killing sam's

  25. #100

    Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

    The hard SW corner of W. Memorial and N. Western (south of the turnpike) just traded hands on 8/13/2013 for $3,489,000 for 8 acres.
    That's $24.30 per square foot!

    The seller is Houghton Heights Limited Partnership which I traced to Don Karchmer (a local developer).
    The buyer is Western Healthcare Partners who I traced to G. David Neff (another local developer / Builder).
    Here is his bio:
    http://www.gdavidneff.com/about/g-david-neff

    Here is the county assessor link:
    Leonard Sullivan Oklahoma County Assessor Real Property Detail Sheet

    Don also owns the adjacent 92 acres, but I wonder if this 8 acres was carved out for Costco?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. lets bring COSTCO to OKC campaign
    By beshy in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 05:31 AM
  2. Costco "Considering" Oklahoma, however?
    By progressiveboy in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 07:49 AM
  3. Costco Email Response Re: Oklahoma City
    By writerranger in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO