Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161762 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

1. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    A lot of transplants who loved Costco in other cities and are disappointed there isn't one here will make the drive. Many already drive to Dallas to go to Costco in this will make it much easier for them because now they only have to go 1.5 hours instead of 3.
    Do you have any facts supporting this? You've said it multiple times, but I have yet to find someone who actually does it.

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

A lot of transplants who loved Costco in other cities and are disappointed there isn't one here will make the drive. Many already drive to Dallas to go to Costco in this will make it much easier for them because now they only have to go 1.5 hours instead of 3.
    I've never heard of anyone going to Dallas for Costco. I do know of people who have driven to go to stores like Versace, Louis Vuitton, Gucci.... etc.

3. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Ill add ikea to the list as well. But not a glorified Sams. And Yes I have been to plenty of costcos.

I don't doubt that there are at least a few people who drive down to Dallas specifically to go to Costco, but I cannot imagine that the number is statistically significant.

It has already been hashed numerous times but it's too bad you won't be able to buy wine and liquor in the Oklahoma stores, unless they are using some loophole. That's one of the best things about Costco. Other than that it's just a nicer Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Ill add ikea to the list as well. But not a glorified Sams. And Yes I have been to plenty of costcos.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    It has already been hashed numerous times but it's too bad you won't be able to buy wine and liquor in the Oklahoma stores, unless they are using some loophole. That's one of the best things about Costco. Other than that it's just a nicer Sam's Club.
    Well, I just posted in another thread that an attorney running for judge in Tulsa is pro-legalization, so at least we are seeing a more progressive push in this this state. I think Costco will only help get more modern laws passed or at least puts pressure on our government.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't doubt that there are at least a few people who drive down to Dallas specifically to go to Costco, but I cannot imagine that the number is statistically significant.
    Nordstrom/Dallas malls and IKEA probably get the most day trippers from Oklahoma. You should see both on OU/Texas weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Anyhow, I'm not getting into this discussion again.
    Then why post a comment slamming Tulsa? I love Tulsa. It's a great town with vibrant urban districts and a lot of character.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's been well documented they were going to Tulsa first.
    Many didn't want to believe it until it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There will be an announcement about an OKC location before the end of the year.
    What do you make of the incentive program mentioned in the article? Here is the quote.

Tulsa's program would focus on what Bird called "destination" retailers —— stores that would potentially draw shoppers from as far as surrounding states —— and retailers that would be unique to Tulsa.
    At the time, he named Costco and Cabela's as retailers the city would attempt to lure with the new program. He said stores such as Target would not be eligible because they are not unique to Tulsa.
    A retail incentives committee made up of city staffers and a city councilor will judge whether rebate applicants meet the criteria.
    Any incentive deal for Costco or any other companies considered in the future would need the approval of the mayor and council.
    Under the policy, businesses generating $400,000 in city tax revenue in one year would get no more than $800,000 back over 10 years; those generating $1 million per year would get no more than $1.2 million over 4.8 years; and those generating $1.5 million or more per year would get a maximum of $2 million over 4.4 years.
    If Costco (and Cabellas) built an OKC location, wouldn't that disqualify them from the program being that they have to be unique to Tulsa?

I can vouch that we used to make trips to Tulsa to visit Whole Foods. There were several people I knew who did the same.

Hopefully, one of these days, OKC will look better to the marketing knobs who study the spreadsheets. Hopefully our dramatic efforts to densify our urban core with quality housing and higher-income residents will pay off. Someday.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Then why post a comment slamming Tulsa? I love Tulsa. It's a great town with vibrant urban districts and a lot of character.
    Because I wanted to. It wasn't meant to start a new discussion about it, just a mere comment about BG918 quoting my post because we've sparred off before about the subject, so I wanted to reinforce it. I don't owe you any explanation and that is my opinion of the place. If you like Tulsa, awesome man. Hooray for you- I do not like it. End of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I can vouch that we used to make trips to Tulsa to visit Whole Foods. There were several people I knew who did the same.

Hopefully, one of these days, OKC will look better to the marketing knobs who study the spreadsheets. Hopefully our dramatic efforts to densify our urban core with quality housing and higher-income residents will pay off. Someday.
    I think we are beginning to hit a threshold where we will really start to appeal to major retailers. We need to get some areas with more concentrated wealth with no low income demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Agree. OKC needs to really get on the ball when it comes to encouraging development of concentrated high income rooftops.

Agree. OKC needs to really get on the ball when it comes to encouraging development of concentrated high income rooftops. Otherwise, this city will always play second fiddle to Tulsa when it comes to being attractive to national retailers.
    How many times have you said this and how many times have you been refuted?

Agree. OKC needs to really get on the ball when it comes to encouraging development of concentrated high income rooftops. Otherwise, this city will always play second fiddle to Tulsa when it comes to being attractive to national retailers.
    You're going overboard here.

OMG it's the end of the world for OKC! Tulsa will have a Costco before Oklahoma City! Ermahgerd!!

-bchris02, apparently.

If Costco (and Cabellas) built an OKC location, wouldn't that disqualify them from the program being that they have to be unique to Tulsa?
    It says unique to Tulsa, chief. Not unique to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    It says unique to Tulsa, chief. Not unique to Oklahoma.
    Maybe this is just semantics, but if they build in OKC, then Costco wouldn't be unique TO Tulsa, which I think is bchris02's point. The main question to me is how far away from Tulsa can another Costco be built and the Tulsa store still be considered "unique to Tulsa." It sounds to me like the article is trying to draw big names away from Tulsa's suburbs and to Tulsa proper, which means this incentive wouldn't be affected by stores being built in OKC. That's how I read it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Do you have any facts supporting this? You've said it multiple times, but I have yet to find someone who actually does it.
    I go to Tulsa for a lot of concerts but that's about it. I would never drive to Tulsa to go grocery shopping , how damn dumb would someone have to be

I imagine they mean unique to Tulsa in that Tulsa doesn't already have it. It may apply to the metro area as well, but probably not.

Unique to Tulsa on the state level would mean Tulsa has the only one in the state.

Unique to Tulsa on the city level would mean there is only one store in Tulsa; or Tulsa proper has the only one in its metro.

I'm sure they mean the latter.

Bchris is a certified dbag, if he is anything like his posts. My goodness, you're greater than everyone else attitude is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFP View Post
    Maybe this is just semantics, but if they build in OKC, then Costco wouldn't be unique TO Tulsa, which I think is bchris02's point. The main question to me is how far away from Tulsa can another Costco be built and the Tulsa store still be considered "unique to Tulsa." It sounds to me like the article is trying to draw big names away from Tulsa's suburbs and to Tulsa proper, which means this incentive wouldn't be affected by stores being built in OKC. That's how I read it, anyway.
    Actually, if they build in OKC, it would still be unique to Tulsa. Tulsa and OKC are different cities and their borders are not even close. I'm not sure why this is hard to understand. If they meant it as being unique to Oklahoma, they would have said "unique to Oklahoma".

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Confirmed May 2015 opening for Costco at 103rd & Memorial (South Tulsa).

Costco will open south Tulsa location - Tulsa World: Local
    Beat me to it....

Thread Information