Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Hopefully OKC will get their Costco by then too.

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    "Tulsa, Oklahoma is a lock for May of 2015"

that was on the addicted to costco website
    What the hell is wrong with you people? Do you not understand, that is a fan website ran by fanboys? What credibility do they have? Seriously, Costco seems very secretive about their expansion plans and I firmly believe whoever keeps spewing the same crap about Costco coming to Tulsa is either trolling and we have the biggest Costco fan right here, in T town. I am not saying they won't go to Tulsa first, but for the love of god, these people have no clue what the hell they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    "Tulsa, Oklahoma is a lock for May of 2015"

that was on the addicted to costco website
    It's possible but that was just something that someone posted in the area where people can make comments. It was certainly nothing official from the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That would be nice except it has nothing really to do with politics.
    I'd say that talk about the country's economics, capitalism, wages, unions, and those for and against corporations IS politics. I'm sure if I searched this post for either Obama's fault or Bush's fault, I would find at least one!

5. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Figures.
    What do you mean? If this is true, great, they are one more step closer to coming to OKC. I swear, it seems like nothing in OKC is good enough for you, man. It gets old.

Figures.
    Congrats for reaffirming your position as number one on my list of posters that make me want to punch something.

Its a fan based website...those people don't know any more then we do.

This was on the General Manager's report for the OKC Economic Development Trust, for the period of Oct. 1 through Dec. 31st, 2013:

Completed Study of the economic impacts of Costco Store to help formulate incentive strategy
    Note: This organization works on projects within Oklahoma City limits.

Also, specifically mentions "Century Center CVS", although I am pretty darn sure that deal has since died.

Any word on costco

The latest rumor according to AddictedtoCostco.com is that the Tulsa location will be opening in May 2015. I would expect an OKC location, if it ends up happening, in 2016 or 2017 with that in mind. I think Costco is still a ways off from coming to this market. That's just my speculation though.

This makes me question. While OKC has made great strides in a lot of areas, retail is still one area where OKC is significantly lacking for a city its size. That applies to retail in every category from upscale down to the lack of decent grocery stores (still hard for me to get used to after two years here). I wonder what it would take for national retailers to see OKC as a more attractive market? Should there be some kind of incentive system to encourage national retailers to set up shop here?

10. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

OKC is perceived as strictly a value shopping city. Whole foods had to get an incentive to come here and has been pleasantly suprised. While not retail, OKC is by far the largest city in the country without an office for my own employer. The reason used to be The Daily Oklahoman's add rates. Now they say the widespread wealth demographic (as opposed to a concentrated area of wealth) is the culprit. I think a lot of firms still have this perception that people here dont value quality.

It way be true for those that are born in Oklahoma. Living in Edmond, by far the majority of people that I run into are from somewhere else. I cannot believe how many are from Chicago or the west coast. I'm seeing a lot of retirees moving here for the cost of living. I think they miss the shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    It way be true for those that are born in Oklahoma. Living in Edmond, by far the majority of people that I run into are from somewhere else. I cannot believe how many are from Chicago or the west coast. I'm seeing a lot of retirees moving here for the cost of living. I think they miss the shopping.
    I can bet people who are transplants miss decent shopping, and I am not talking about strictly upscale stuff. OKC doesn't offer much more than Amarillo or Fort Smith, Arkansas when it comes to shopping. Its ridiculous. What can be done to change that? If retailers are hesitant to come to OKC because there is no single location that meets their "1-3-5 mi" criteria when it comes to concentrated wealth, is there a way the city can be proactive to lure retailers another way? Or is OKC simply screwed until the demographics change that are more favorable to the retailers' spreadsheet?

Wow it has been a month and nobody posted here.

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people? Do you not understand, that is a fan website ran by fanboys? What credibility do they have? Seriously, Costco seems very secretive about their expansion plans and I firmly believe whoever keeps spewing the same crap about Costco coming to Tulsa is either trolling and we have the biggest Costco fan right here, in T town. I am not saying they won't go to Tulsa first, but for the love of god, these people have no clue what the hell they're talking about.
    Confirmed May 2015 opening for Costco at 103rd & Memorial (South Tulsa).

Costco will open south Tulsa location - Tulsa World: Local

That's good news for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Confirmed May 2015 opening for Costco at 103rd & Memorial (South Tulsa).

Costco will open south Tulsa location - Tulsa World: Local
    Good for Tulsa. Still a crappy city and when they open up an OKC location and our store outperforms the Tulsa store by 2-3 times, it will be interesting to see what is said; but that's awesome.

... Still a crappy city ...
    I'm not a Tulsa resident, Tulsa fan nor Tulsa proponent, but I can say without reservation and without apology that it is no way a crappy city.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Sound Mind View Post
    I'm not a Tulsa resident, Tulsa fan nor Tulsa proponent, but I can say without reservation and without apology that it is no way a crappy city.
    Ok. I think it is. I go there every other week and the place feels run down, void of life, and depressing. Anyhow, I'm not getting into this discussion again. Go to the Tulsa section and look at the new Gathering Place Park thread and you can see my opinions of Tulsa.

Costco coming to Tulsa is great for Tulsa and great for Oklahoma in general.

See, I told you so.

Look for an OKC location sometime betwen 2016 or 2017, as long as the Tulsa location does well.

See, I told you so.

Look for an OKC location in 2016 or 2017, as long as the Tulsa location does well.
    It's been well documented they were going to Tulsa first.

And coming to OKC has absolutely nothing to do with waiting to see how the Tulsa location does.

There will be an announcement about an OKC location before the end of the year.

Good for Tulsa. Still a crappy city and when they open up an OKC location and our store outperforms the Tulsa store by 2-3 times, it will be interesting to see what is said; but that's awesome.
    I am sure OKC residents will help support the Tulsa store like OKC pretty much supports Tulsa's concert and live music scene. It's not uncommon for people in OKC to take Tulsa daytrips and go shopping and this will give them extra reason to do so. Will be interesting to see if/when OKC gets a store if the sales numbers in Tulsa drop off.

I am sure OKC residents will help support the Tulsa store like OKC pretty much supports Tulsa's concert and live music scene. It's not uncommon for people in OKC to take Tulsa daytrips to go shopping and this will give them extra reason to do so.
    I won't be doing it lol.... wouldn't doubt it though.

23. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

I have a hard time grasping why someone would drive to Tulsa, yet anywhere 1.5 to 2 hours, for just Costco. Unless you live in a rural area

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I have a hard time grasping why someone would drive to Tulsa, yet anywhere 1.5 to 2 hours, for just Costco. Unless you live in a rural area
    A lot of transplants who loved Costco in other cities and are disappointed there isn't one here will make the drive. Many already drive to Dallas to go to Costco in this will make it much easier for them because now they only have to go 1.5 hours instead of 3.

I haven't driven to Tulsa to shop for over 10 years and certainly wouldn't drive there just to go to Costco. Their SAKS is mediocre and our local stores are better.

Thread Information