Page 10 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco

Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Sorry wasn't paying attention. Thought you wrote "In most cases."
    No worries, I've done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Large, institutional shareholders drive a lot of that greed as well.
    When you invest in a company you invest in it to make money.

Let me just say, personally, if I owned Walmart, I would pay a minimum wage of $12/hr w/ full time having health benefits and I would make my stores nicer, but I don't. The people in charge don't care nor do they have any responsibility to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Fair enough. I suppose though being a bottom feeder is where the money is at then.
    If is if you start consuming at the bottom, consume everything in sight and work your way up far enough with more and more consumption.
    Eating up available income for both necessities and discretionary purchases is something Wally World does quite well across a large swath of the socio-economic strata.
    They draw in funds, lot of funds, from those riding busses and trying to subsist on welfare, as well as folks from six figure homes driving rather expensive upper middle class rides.

When you invest in a company you invest in it to make money.

Let me just say, personally, if I owned Walmart, I would pay a minimum wage of $12/hr w/ full time having health benefits and I would make my stores nicer, but I don't. The people in charge don't care nor do they have any responsibility to do so.
    I don't think anybody is arguing that Wal-Mart should be forced to pay their employees a certain wage or give their employees certain benefits. Obviously if somebody goes to work for them they know what they are getting into. The only thing people are arguing is these are legitimate reasons to oppose shopping there and that having an option like Costco would be welcome for many OKC residents.

Right now, its possible to live in OKC and never set foot in a Wal-Mart, but its more difficult and more expensive to do so than in most other cities nationwide.

5. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

The reality is that people love their "cheap goods" ( I am not saying all of you). I know a lot of people that when then need something they look for the cheapest possible price they can get. Often that equates to Chinese good bought at stores like wal-Mart. I have a friend who has plenty of money. Although he has a bad foot he was buying the cheapest tennis shoes possible at Wal-Mart. We were in Colorado together and I stopped at a hiking shop to buy a new pair of Columbia hiking shoes ( I go there every summer). While he was waiting he tried on a paid and could nor believe the difference in how they fit and felt. He ended up buying a pair and his foot troubles went away. He is now a firm believer that the cheapest is not always the best way to go and now shops for quality. Most people out there tend to care about cost over quality and this is why Chinese stuff at stores like Wal-Mart are flooding this economy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    The reality is that people love their "cheap goods" ( I am not saying all of you). I know a lot of people that when then need something they look for the cheapest possible price they can get. Often that equates to Chinese good bought at stores like wal-Mart. I have a friend who has plenty of money. Although he has a bad foot he was buying the cheapest tennis shoes possible at Wal-Mart. We were in Colorado together and I stopped at a hiking shop to buy a new pair of Columbia hiking shoes ( I go there every summer). While he was waiting he tried on a paid and could nor believe the difference in how they fit and felt. He ended up buying a pair and his foot troubles went away. He is now a firm believer that the cheapest is not always the best way to go and now shops for quality. Most people out there tend to care about cost over quality and this is why Chinese stuff at stores like Wal-Mart are flooding this economy.
    So true, I shell out around $120-$150 a year for Johnston & Murphy shoes for work whereas a coworker of mine says they are too expensive but he'll spend $30 bucks every other month or so on cheap dress shoes. People also tell me that my North Face jacket is overpriced even though I haven't had the need to buy a new jacket in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pure View Post
    So true, I shell out around $120-$150 a year for Johnston & Murphy shoes for work whereas a coworker of mine says they are too expensive but he'll spend $30 bucks every other month or so on cheap dress shoes. People also tell me that my North Face jacket is overpriced even though I haven't had the need to buy a new jacket in 4 years.
    Pretty much the same way, I do Ecco dress shoes (had them for 5 years) and The North Face jacket is pretty substantial for a Polartec fleece jacket.

Cleo, the shoe shine guy at the courthouse, calls them throwaway shoes. I'm with you. Buy good shoes and just resole when they need it. I have two pairs of Florsheim Imperial wingtips that I have had for ten years. Resole them every 2-3 years for $60.00 bucks. They are comfortable, broken in to my feet, and have great patina and look to them as they have built up nice wax base haven been shined a fine hundred times by Cleo.

I've had several pairs of Allen Edmonds dress shoes for about 20 years now and they still look super sharp; just a few re-solings along the way.

For men's dress shoes, the fashions don't change much with time so buy a couple of nice pair is very well worth it.

BTW, the stuff Costco puts it's name on (Kirkland) is good quality stuff, usually at very good prices.

11. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Even when the economy was booming, Wal Mart didnt have trouble finding employees so for those who work there, the vast majority dont seem to have a problem with it. Neither Wal Mart nor any other company, pay employees all that the company can afford to pay. Wal Mart, just like most publicly owned companies are in business to maximize profits. Wal Mart pays employees what it must which is no different than what other companies do. Relatively few Wal Mart employees need any special abilities, education or talent so they arent going to be paid much. They are in business to provide goods and some services at the lowest possible price. If you dont mind payinv a little more for the same thing so employees can be paid a bit more and have some benefits, shop at Target........just use cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Even when the economy was booming, Wal Mart didnt have trouble finding employees so for those who work there, the vast majority dont seem to have a problem with it. Neither Wal Mart nor any other company, pay employees all that the company can afford to pay. Wal Mart, just like most publicly owned companies are in business to maximize profits. Wal Mart pays employees what it must which is no different than what other companies do. Relatively few Wal Mart employees need any special abilities, education or talent so they arent going to be paid much. They are in business to provide goods and some services at the lowest possible price. If you dont mind payinv a little more for the same thing so employees can be paid a bit more and have some benefits, shop at Target........just use cash.
    Most Wal-Mart workers I have known had it as a job in high school or in college. Few people make it their career unless they are in management. Like others have said, people going to work for Wal-Mart know what they are getting into.

13. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

So, he's spending around $180 for the same year that you're spending $120-150. Now who's shoes are more expensive?

Sams Club is having a tough time competing with Costco and they have even copied Costco with the rebate books but if they are going to sacrifice quality for profit they are going to lose. Sam's has the Daily Chef brand and so far I am disappointed. Sam's used to carry the Cheese Cake factory cheese cakes that are very good for 12 dollars and I am sure it was probably costing them 8 dollars to buy but now they carry the Daily Chef cheese cake and its not even in the same league although it is only 10 dollars but probably costs them 3 dollars. Last week we bought some Daily Chef chocolate caramel cashew clusters and the flavor was not great. I hope Sam's Club keeps up the stupidity we will have lots of Costco's around us soon. I have not found a Kirkland food product yet that has not been top notch.

Maybe you should buy your cheese cake from the Cheese Cake Factory now.

I have been gaining some weight lately maybe Sam's Club is trying to help me cut out the junk food. I can still buy the same Cheese Cake Factory cheese cake at Target but it is 18 dollars instead of the 12 dollar price it was at Sam's Club and I am too scared to check the price at our Cheese Cake Factory restaurant seems like they wanted 6 dollars for one piece last time I was there and that was four years ago.

To sum it up, it's basically about how towns allow Walmart to come and build in their communities and THEN get pissed at Walmart for their smaller stores going out of business.

Walmart is a perfectly fine corporation and anyone that is mad at them is just looking for something to complain about.
    Maybe the story didn't end there. Maybe the closed stores reopened and offered goods and services that Wal-Mart doesn't want to touch such as used merchandise, bars and repair shops. Doing that is surely one of the best ways a small store keeper can survive with Wal-Mart.

When did this thread become SAMs and Walmart?????

It says costco in active negotiations......

No disrespect but please move your discussion to another appropriate thread.

We are here to get updated on costco not what's wrong with SAMs and Walmart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Maybe the story didn't end there. Maybe the closed stores reopened and offered goods and services that Wal-Mart doesn't want to touch such as used merchandise, bars and repair shops. Doing that is surely one of the best ways a small store keeper can survive with Wal-Mart.
    Wouldn't doubt it. People can be smart if they choose and can adapt.

20. Default Re: Costco in Active Negotiations

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    when did this thread become sams and walmart?????

It says costco in active negotiations......

No disrespect but please move your discussion to another appropriate thread.

We are here to get updated on costco not what's wrong with sams and walmart.

Thanks
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread and the Sam's Club Layoffs thread have become an Anti Wal-Mart rant. I think a thread needs to be created under the Politics forum with all of these posts moved there. I'm tired of reading them. No offense to anyone, of course. I would much rather read about Costco's negotiations that are actually happening than the world boycotting Wal-Mart, and them going out of business which isn't happening.

That would be nice except it has nothing really to do with politics.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That would be nice except it has nothing really to do with politics.
    The real benefit of that forum is that it keeps the annoying crap concentrated and out of the "What's New?" search. It's more of a "let's pretend this discussion isn't taking up space" forum than a politics forum.

"Tulsa, Oklahoma is a lock for May of 2015"

that was on the addicted to costco website

Quote Originally Posted by beshy View Post
    "Tulsa, Oklahoma is a lock for May of 2015"

that was on the addicted to costco website
    Figures.

Thread Information