Widgets Magazine

Thread: Catfish Cove

1. Moore Catfish Cove

We ate at Catfish Cove tonight for dinner. We were actually pretty impressed. The food was all hot and fresh cooked. The bars were well stocked with quality food. This was our first time there and although I thought maybe there might be more to select from, what they had was really good. The peel and eat shrimp was delicious, as was the catfish and fried shrimp. I had a great baked sweet potato and hush puppies, cole slaw, and for dessert homemade ice cream. I couldn't complain about a single thing. We will go back again. I understand they have lowered their prices, so that was nice.We were satisfied customers when we left.

Default Re: Catfish Cove in Moore

Is Catfish Cover menu based or a buffet line? Where in Moore is it?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Is Catfish Cover menu based or a buffet line? Where in Moore is it?
    Right north of Earl's. Used to be a Chinese place. Don't know about the menu as I haven't been yet.

4. Default Re: Catfish Cove in Moore

It is all buffet and the prices just went down. It's 11 something for the buffet, 10 something for seniors. They are up there by Kohl's, Applebee's on I-35 service road. There is also another one in Yukon at 1-40 and Mustang Road. Be sure and the days they are open. They close at 9, and aren't open 7 days a week.

My family has been to Catfish Cove several times, it is our new favorite place. Everything is really fresh and the place is very clean. My favorite is the catfish, not strong at all and cooked just right. Its best not to go on Friday night very crowded, but the line moves fast.

6. Multiple Locations Catfish Cove

I tried the new Catfish Cove on NW Expressway for lunch today.

The AC wasn't quite up to the heat outside + the heat from their buffet. That was a problem last summer for the Asian buffet that used to have that place.

Best thing on the buffet was the fried chicken wings. Second best was the fried catfish. Third was a tie between their yeast rolls and their salad bar. All of these get two thumbs up.

One thumb up on the bread pudding and the spicy tartar sauce.

The jalapeno relish gets an honorable mention, but I think it was made with very mild jalapenos. If they had had more authority, it would have been two thumbs up.

But all the rest was, well, barely edible. Turnip greens and pinto beans had hardly any taste, both varieties of hush puppies were not good. The baked fish was dry and had no seasoning to it. I tried a little mac and cheese, definitely a mix.

Plus, everything was served with plastic way on foam plates and foam cups for drinks. Nearly 11 dollars on the senior discount and foam plates and bowls and cups.

Maybe I'll go back some Friday in Lent but for the price, meh, it won't make my list of regular lunch spots. The fried catfish and chicken wings were very very good, but being diabetic, there is a limit to how much of that I can eat. If their baked fish were better, or if they had something like salmon, I would be more likely to eat there more often. I only ate one fried catfish fillet and one wing, but I am certain could have cheerfully munched through a half dozen of each, lol. But they need to work on their side dishes so they have more flavor. The difference between tasty beans and meh beans isn't much. Maybe a ham bone would help it. Or maybe they were just canned beans, which is really what they tasted like. Same thing with turnip greens. Needs some nice bold flavors. Garlic, onion, bacon. I tried mixing some jalapeno relish with the turnip greens, but the jalapeno lacked authority so it didn't make much difference.

They are new in the area, I've never eaten at their other restaurants, so I don't know if they're just having opening problems or if this is an issue for all their locations. It would be nice to have another good lunch possibility up here. but so far, Catfish Cove isn't making my list.

Default Re: Catfish Cove on NW Expressway

I'm thinking of them for lunch as we speak, in the next hour or two. I wonder if anyone has any other thoughts, perhaps of things that changed in the last week?

I know the OP is diabetic, so it's perhaps inappropriate to inquire of the homemade ice cream and cobblers...might anyone else know if they are in fact good as I've heard?

I mentioned them opening in the "Best Catfish?" thread, but glad to see a review of the actual location. And... I'm glad I trusted reviews of other locations. I think that space is just doomed or something :/

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaceokc View Post
    I tried the new Catfish Cove on NW Expressway for lunch today.

The AC wasn't quite up to the heat outside + the heat from their buffet. That was a problem last summer for the Asian buffet that used to have that place.

Best thing on the buffet was the fried chicken wings. Second best was the fried catfish. Third was a tie between their yeast rolls and their salad bar. All of these get two thumbs up.

One thumb up on the bread pudding and the spicy tartar sauce.
    Have you had catfish at Cajun king? How does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Have you had catfish at Cajun king? How does it compare?
    The catfish at Cajun King is simply nasty. It tastes like they put powdered sugar on it. Maybe that is a style for different parts of the country, but it isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    The catfish at Cajun King is simply nasty. It tastes like they put powdered sugar on it. Maybe that is a style for different parts of the country, but it isn't for me.
    The style of catfish at Cajun King is catfish almondine which is a popular style of catfish in Louisiana. Catfish Cove's catfish is a more traditional fried catfish which I enjoy. I used to like Catfish Cabin and think Catfish Cove may fullfill my catfish buffet cravings. My favorite fish batter is the corn meal batter that Der Dutchman, Harbor House, and Bill's Catfish House served(s). It is especially good on flounder.

Bigray in Ok

That just goes to show why they have horse races. I love the catfish at Cajun King, but it really doesn't compare to what we traditionally have as fried catfish. It is a whole different thing. Like comparing apples and oranges.

I like the catfish at Cajun King.
    I like fried catfish at many local area eateries.
    I like fried catfish at many backyard events.

I sense a pattern here.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I like the catfish at Cajun King.
    I agree with you. Cajun King has fab catfish. Their greens are
    the best I've ever tasted and greens are very important to me.

Have you had Bobo's catfish? I'm going to try the next time I go.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMom View Post
    That just goes to show why they have horse races. I love the catfish at
    Cajun King, but it really doesn't compare to what we traditionally have as
    fried catfish. It is a whole different thing. Like comparing apples and
    oranges.
    It's wonderful. I could eat it almost daily.

Prunepicker Guest

The catfish at Cajun King is simply nasty...
    I don't see how you can say that. Seriously. Do you mean that you
    don't care for it or do you honestly mean it's nasty?

I would like the recipe they use because it's one of my favorites.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jpeaceokc View Post
    I tried the new Catfish Cove on NW Expressway for lunch today...
    But all the rest was, well, barely edible. Turnip greens and pinto beans
    had hardly any taste, both varieties of hush puppies were not good. The
    baked fish was dry and had no seasoning to it. I tried a little mac and
    cheese, definitely a mix...

Plus, everything was served with plastic way (ware?) on foam plates
    and foam cups for drinks. Nearly 11 dollars on the senior discount and
    foam plates and bowls and cups.
    Egad! $11 on a senior discount? Foam plates and cups? Does that
    mean there weren't table cloths or a Maitre d'?

If the Chicken Wings and Catfish were good I guess I'll try it. What
    do you mean when you said the Beans and Greens had no taste?
    Not to your liking? What did they need? Can I bring something from
    the pantry to ameliorate the flavor?

I guess I mean that I don't care for their catfish. Actually the only thing nasty was the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I don't see how you can say that. Seriously. Do you mean that you
    don't care for it or do you honestly mean it's nasty?

I would like the recipe they use because it's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I agree with you. Cajun King has fab catfish. Their greens are
    the best I've ever tasted and greens are very important to me.

Have you had Bobo's catfish? I'm going to try the next time I go.
    I knew there was something we could agree on

Thread Information