Widgets Magazine

Thread: Curbside Chronicle

Default Curbside Chronicle

I was roaming around this week when I saw a man on the side of an highway exit not begging, but selling a "Homeless Magazine". I did a little research and saw that it is a magazine sold by homeless vendors, that buy the magazine at $0.75 and sell it for $2 and keep the profit. I thought it was a very unique way to reduce the panhandling and help people out! Keep an eye out for vendors in green vests!

Street newspaper gives voice to Oklahoma City's homeless | News OK

Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Good idea if the money truly goes where needed.

3. Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Do these guys have to have a permit to be selling in public?

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Well, it is better than just begin for money I suppose. Do you need a permit to be selling lemonade? If so, I never knew

What about Girl Scouts and their cookies? I also wonder if they have or need a permit. . .

5. Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well, it is better than just begin for money I suppose. Do you need a permit to be selling lemonade? If so, I never knew

What about Girl Scouts and their cookies? I also wonder if they have or need a permit. . .
    My understanding is most cities require some sort of peddlers permit to be selling anything to the public (I believe there has been the occasional shut down of said lemonade stands). If its for a non-profit - I don't know if that applies - assume not (i.e. girl scout cookies). I was told once that is why so many of the vagrants have signs simply asking for money because that's not illegal, but saying "will WORK for $$$/food" did require a permit and would give the cops a reason to arrest them. I do see 'peddling' complaints listed for people often on the jail blotter.

My understanding is most cities require some sort of peddlers permit to be selling anything to the public (I believe there has been the occasional shut down of said lemonade stands). If its for a non-profit - I don't know if that applies - assume not (i.e. girl scout cookies). I was told once that is why so many of the vagrants have signs simply asking for money because that's not illegal, but saying "will WORK for $$$/food" did require a permit and would give the cops a reason to arrest them. I do see 'peddling' complaints listed for people often on the jail blotter.
    Can't speak on OKC, but our casa in Norman was involved for many years with BSA popcorn and GSUSA cookies. To the best of my recall, as it's been a few years now, neither the individual units nor their respective scouts were required to go sign in for sale permits.

Curbside Chronicle looks like it would need a permit under the muni code. It's either a peddler's permit or outdoor retail permit. If it's a peddler's permit, it looks like the organization can buy a multi-seller permit (50+) for $300 year.

Also, there's no exception for GS or BSA, but can you imagine the news story? The city isn't going to fine 9 year old girls for selling cookies door to door.

I'm reading on the front that it's a $2 suggested donation, so maybe they're getting around it by not actually selling it? Street papers are apparently a thing in 40 other US cities and the chronicle has sold 800 copies and hopefully will have continued success for our homeless population

I liked this idea when I heard about it. I would be willing to buy it from a news stand or a newspaper machine. I have a fondness for human interest and community event newspapers.

The only issue I have is all folks standing on street corners that are creating a safety hazard for drivers and pedestrians alike. The city could end this issue by establishing traffic law that requires people to only stop at intersection long enough to cross the street. I know the city tried establish safety zone near intersections but, MDA fought to keep it because of the firefighters need to to do the fill a boot campaign. This campaign could easily be moved to gas stations. The firefighters could offer to pump gas and wash your windshield for a donation. We did that in military for special event fundraising. Each time we raked in a few hundred bucks because we made it a point to do it on paydays.

Then again, I think the fill a boot campaign needs to find a new source after all I think the reason why Jerry Lewis left is because the organization was not spending the money mostly on the kids.

You'd be inviting a civil rights lawsuit which would probably be a win since the goal of this law wouldn't be pedestrian safety, but rather the quelling of free speech.

dude, you need to go back to Sunday school.

12. Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    dude, you need to go back to Sunday school.
    That reply doesn't even make sense on any level (however, not surprising).

You obviously made the assumption I was being critical - even though I said nothing critical and couldn't pause long enough to keep your foot from implanting itself in your mouth.

My point I was wondering out loud was if the law requires a permit and they don't have one, I can see some of OKC's 'finest' using that fact against them.

this is better than what the homeless do in Houston. they put coins in a paper machine, take them all, then go sell them on the corner

14. Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Looks like the Curbside Chronicle is opening an apparel location just down from Sunnyside Diner off 6th and Classen.

curbsideapparel.com

1011 NW 6th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106

Pretty cool, shame they couldn't get in the same bldg as Curbside Flowers (which we buy from for almost every holiday, they do good work).

16. Default Re: Curbside Chronicle

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Pretty cool, shame they couldn't get in the same bldg as Curbside Flowers (which we buy from for almost every holiday, they do good work).
    Agreed, but at least they are just a block down the street.

Thread Information