Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get organic flour?

Default Where to get organic flour?

Does anyone have the inside scoop on where to get cheap whole wheat flour? Or other organic flours, such as rye, etc? Sprouts evidently sells a wheat flour at $4 for 5 lb bag. But is there a source for whole wheat flour, especially in bulk?

Default Re: Where to get organic flour?

you might check with the health food center at i-240 & penn or akin's at nw 63rd & may. -M

You would think, with this state being an exporter of wheat, tracking down a local source would be easy. I may try this variety from Honeyville Farms: Whole Wheat Flour | 50 LB bag | honeyvillegrain.com
    The local food movement has yet to arrive here I think.

4. Default Re: Where to get organic flour?

http://www.oklahomafood.coop/
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRunOkie View Post
    You would think, with this state being an exporter of wheat, tracking down a local source would be easy. I may try this variety from Honeyville Farms: Whole Wheat Flour | 50 LB bag | honeyvillegrain.com
    I have to politely disagree with you. The local food movement is here in a BIG way. Please check out the Oklahoma Food Coop. Unfortunately, it seems that the website http://www.oklahomafood.coop/ is down right now (never seen that actually with the site), but there are thousands of products available that are produced in-state. We have been members since 2009 and have been SO pleased with it. In fact, we have family in Oregon and Colorado who say that even those states have nothing close to this. I have talked it up on this site a number of times because we love it so much.

We also support a CSA program through a farm in NE Edmond and get fresh produce on a every other week (you can sign up to go weekly as well). http://www.crestvieworganicfarms.net/CSA.html

And don't forget the farmer's markets all over the metro.

So there are lots of local options out there. We are definitely localvores!

For a state with such a heritage in agriculture, I've always thought the lack of healthy nutrition in Oklahoma was so sad.

Thanks for the link to the Oklahoma Food Co-op. Their membership is $52/year, which may not be less than I expect to spend in flour in a year, which is perplexing. How can a food co-op charge $52 a year just for membership? Typical insular Okie fashion: try to keep people out rather then wonder why it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by landrunokie
    Their membership is $52/year... How can a food co-op charge $52 a year just for membership?
    from the coop's faq:
    2. How much is the membership fee? What will this money be used for?
    The membership share is $50.00, plus a processing fee of $1.75, for a total of $51.75. It is a one time payment to provide the capital necessary to begin this service, it is not an annual fee like a Sam's Club membership. It is used for capital expenses of the cooperative.

A couple of days ago when I was in Sprouts, I thought I noticed that they had it bulk. I've found their bulk products to be much cheaper than the same items that are commercially packaged.

Thanks for the link to the Oklahoma Food Co-op. Their membership is $52/year, which may not be less than I expect to spend in flour in a year, which is perplexing. How can a food co-op charge $52 a year just for membership? Typical insular Okie fashion: try to keep people out rather then wonder why it doesn't work.
    LandRun... I've also been a member of the Oklahoma Food Coop since 2008 and wanted to let you know that if a person does join the coop the cost of their membership is refunded anytime they choose to leave the Coop. Also, the Coop will cover the cost of a membership for those that can't afford the membership fee. So, if anything it is very accommodating for those that have an interest in joining.

If you do decide to join, I would encourage you to volunteer at the distribution center or at a pickup site since the coop is nearly all volunteers. As far as organic flour is concerned I'm sure one of their producers provides it. It really is a great organization and one that OKC needs to be proud of.

Someone edited my post, presumably mmm.
    Here's what I said:
    Typical insular Okie fashion: try to keep people out, then wonder why it doesn't work. My point was that exclusiveness and cooperation (basis of the word co-op) are conflicting.

But thank you for clarifying, pedmond. I still think it would be better to waive the fee than make people feel bad about joining if they can't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by landrunokie
    i just quoted the part of your post that was relevant to my response. your post was not edited. -M

12. Default Re: Where to get organic flour?

The Oklahoma Food Coop is pretty darn awesome. The "membership fee" is you buying a part of the coop, that's all. You get it back if you leave.

I have gotten some pretty amazing things through them. Not flour, though, but quite a few other things. I'm going to have to check out this CSA now, too!
    Still corrupting young minds

13. Default Re: Where to get organic flour?

Here's what I said:
    Typical insular Okie fashion: try to keep people out, then wonder why it doesn't work. My point was that exclusiveness and cooperation (basis of the word co-op) are conflicting.

But thank you for clarifying, pedmond. I still think it would be better to waive the fee than make people feel bad about joining if they can't pay.
    Hey, you are being kind of stubborn here. The co-op is about the least EXCLUSIVE community organization I have been a part of. If people feel badly about getting the fee waived then...well...that's on them. The fee is there to cover overhead...that's completely reasonable.

Don't go into this whole "Typical Okie fashion..." thing...C'mon! This is an awesome organization we have here and no one is wondering why it doesn't work...because it DOES!! The founder travels all over the world to help others start an Internet-based co-op like ours.

Sorry, I usually stay very cool and positive on this board but these comments are annoying and most of all UN-informed. You can't say we don't have something and then when you find out we DO have it, say it does not work...that is just not the truth.

Thankfully my Walmart has started stocking whole wheat flour, Gold Medal brand, so I can resume my regularly scheduled lifestyle. But I will say, if you think $50 is reasonable for a co-op membership you're delusional.

In other words I want my corporate packaged flour for $3.00. I didn't really want organic, locally sourced flour that typically costs more and requires some extra effort to find....
    Then these same people wonder why Walmart is so busy and dominates the marketplace

The last time that we were at Crest (Windsor Mall location) I think they had King Arthur flours and some other organic. They aren't going to be $3.00 a package though. Sam's Club also has had big sacks of organic flour.

No I figured someone could make it and sell it here in wheat county cheaper than a similar product shipped halfway across the country. Instead they want 50% more. The $50 membership was a pretty big turnoff as well.

17. Default Re: Where to get organic flour?

No I figured someone could make it and sell it here in wheat county cheaper than a similar product shipped halfway across the country. Instead they want 50% more. The $50 membership was a pretty big turnoff as well.
    Great. Don't join.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Great. Don't join.
    Yep, just like a Sam's or Costco membership if you can't afford or justify the expense it might not be for you.

Well if we can agree the $50 membership is meant to dissuade the poor from joining, it leaves a question of who exactly this co-op is for. Considering over half of Americans have experienced poverty at some point in their lives, an organization such as this would have to appeal to a very small group of people. It is more of a food fraternity than a co-op. In fact lets just call it what it is, Edmond Local Grocery Club.

Most co-ops are membership driven and most of those have some sort of membership fee. Things like that don't operate on their own for free, there are usually costs involved. Either the vendors would have to shoulder the burden entirely for it (more than likely they have to pay some sort of fee to be there) or it is a shared cost with membership and vendor fees. I know the farmers markets setup on weekends in Austin and here in Denver have fees the vendors have to pay and in turn they have to raise their prices to cover that expense. The co-op mentality is sharing the cost among vendors and customers. I would bet there are plenty of farmers markets type of operations that do not have a customer fee but make no mistake, you are shouldering the cost for the vendors being there.

Nothing in this world is really "free", there are always costs that someone ends up paying for.

In fact lets just call it what it is, Edmond Local Grocery Club.
    Still chuckling inside at THAT one . . . =)

A List of Things Said to Customers in Minnesota Food Co-Ops

1. You're supposed to bring your own bags.
    2. That's peanut butter---what did you think it was?
    3. It's got sludge in the bottom of the jar because it's 100 percent natural.
    4. Those are edible sweatbands.

From the book, How to Talk Minnesotan by Howard Mohr ©1987, 2013
    ISBN 978-0-14-312269-2

Given to me as a present by one of my brothers-in-law who lives in Cambridge, Minnesota.
    Purchased, coincidentally, from a little bookstore right next to the local co-op grocery.

The Wheatsville Co-op in Austin has a $70.00 fee for membership ($15.00 join fee, $55.00 investment) and has been in operation since 1976. They are opening up a second location South Austin this month. In fact Whole Foods traces some of their roots to Wheatsville Co-op, a "for profit" interpretation of the co-op mentality.

Well if we can agree the $50 membership is meant to dissuade the poor from joining, it leaves a question of who exactly this co-op is for. Considering over half of Americans have experienced poverty at some point in their lives, an organization such as this would have to appeal to a very small group of people. It is more of a food fraternity than a co-op. In fact lets just call it what it is, Edmond Local Grocery Club.

LandRun...

Below is a list of pickup locations in Oklahoma. For what it's worth, Edmond has two locations...I volunteer/work at one of the Edmond locations and I can assure you there is nothing exclusive about the Oklahoma Food Coop. As I mentioned, the Coop will cover the cost of the membership for those who are unable to pay for it. Also, those that volunteer/work at the pickup locations get paid $7.25/hr. Normally, those that work at the pickup locations will put in 3-4 hours each pickup day, so over a years time a person might make $250 to $350. That might not cover all the purchases a person makes over a years timeframe, but it certainly will cover part of them.

The person who started the Coop(Bob Waldrop) is so far removed from being a exclusive type of person it's funny. Read up about him and the Coop and I'm confident your view will change.

Information about Bob Waldrop...

Bobaganda! | Bob Waldrop "with hair on fire" rants on politics, economics, food, permaculture, sustainability, peak oil, climate instability, cooperatives, local foods, and etc.

Pickup Sites

Ada Pickup Site
    •Altus
    •Ardmore
    •Bartlesville
    •Broken Arrow
    •Checotah
    •Chickasha
    •Claremore
    •Cordell
    •Cromwell
    •Duncan
    •Edmond
    •Edmond SE
    •Eufaula
    •Guthrie
    •Harrah
    •Hollis
    •Jenks
    •Lawton
    •McAlester
    •Metro Home delivery
    •Midwest City
    •Midwest City/Del City Home/Work Delivery
    •Moore
    •Moore Home/Work Delivery
    •Muskogee
    •Norman
    •Norman East
    •Norman Home/Work Delivery
    •OKC Central
    •OKC NW
    •OKC Saturday Pickup
    •OKC Zoo
    •Owasso
    •Paseo
    •Perkins
    •Ponca
    •Seminole
    •Shawnee
    •Stillwater
    •Stillwater Home/Work Delivery
    •Stilwell
    •Sulphur
    •Tahlequah
    •Tulsa
    •Tulsa Home/Work Delivery
    •Volunteers
    •Weatherford
    •Woodward
    •Yukon

Volunteer Opportunities

The Board and Management invite everybody to develop a sense of true ownership in this cooperative endeavor.

One way to do this is to volunteer to help with the chores. We are still obviously in the "building our infrastructure" phase. Here's some things we need help with. Unless a specific contact person is listed, you can contact Adam Price at volunteer@oklahomafood.coop.
    •Delivery Day Sorting. The doors open at 8 AM and there's work until the late afternoon. We are sorting, loading, and delivering and then cleaning up afterwards. This is a high energy event reminiscent of the "barn raisings" of frontier times. We "git 'er done" every month with the help of many volunteers. Some people volunteer every month. Others volunteer once a year. All are welcome and appreciated! Contact Adam Price at volunteer@oklahomafood.coop to help with delivery day.
    •Cooperative Outreach. We can always use help doing tables and handing out brochures at events. We do calling campaigns to members. We need graphic artists and a videographer. For example, we could help you plan and organize an "Oklahoma Food Dinner" for your friends and family or co-workers. We can provide speakers for organizations that you belong to. Contact the outreach committee at outreach@oklahomafood.coop to help with this work.

•Pick up Site Work on Delivery Day. Our pickup sites are operated by volunteers. There is a manager, a cashier, people to help unload ice chests and then load the empties afterwards. Someone picks up the groceries at the Op Center and delivers them to the pickup site. We pay mileage for anyone using their vehicle to help with pick up site activities. To volunteer at a pick up site, talk with the site manager. To help with driving orders to pick up sites, contact Adam Price at volunteer@oklahomafood.coop.
    •Back Office Work. Like any business, we have back office reports. So we can use accounting personnel, people with administrative experience, etc. To volunteer for any kind of accounting or finance work, contact president@oklahomafood.coop . For any other back office work, contact customer@oklahomafood.coop.
    •What else? Maybe you have a skill we don't know about that could help the Coop. Please let us know! Contact president@oklahomafood.coop,

Volunteer Incentive Program

The Coop offers a Volunteer Incentive Program that allows volunteers to earn credit towards their Coop purchases.
    •$7.25/hour credit on purchases
    •Standard IRS mileage is paid to drivers to our pickup site.
    •The Coop carries on-the-volunteer-job medical and liability insurance via the CIMA Volunteer Insurance program. We also carry excess Auto Liability insurance that covers all of our drivers and their vehicles in case of an accident while on Coop business.

Pedmond,
    Thanks, I started to post a response to Landrun about my late brother. He was certainly lower income but he and his wife felt the coop had a lot to offer. I believe they were members for several years, and his wife actually was a volunteer with the coop (I believe). I think if my wife were still alive we would be members, but since I'm not much of a cook and if it doesn't come out of a can, I probably won't use it, I haven't joined the coop.
    C. T.

I have to echo what pedmond had to say. Bob Waldrop and exclusivity, in any form, just doesn't work. Bob has been at the forefront of just about every labor-justice-peace oriented movement since as long as I can remember.

I don't always agree with Bob, he's a very independent thinker, but he's as decent a man as you'd ever meet.

Here's Bob before getting arrested fighting the pipeline, and yes, that's Bob in the picture with the long hair and beard. Hardly someone you'd see running an "Edmond Local Grocery Club." If he doesn't think it helps poor people, Bob isn't involved. Period. You owe Bob Waldrop an apology.

Thread Information