Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Page Woodson School

Default Re: Page Woodson School

this project reminds me a lot of a complex my brother in law had a hand in up in Wichita

http://www.flats324.com/

Renovated the old Wichita High School. A couple of the units available are the boiler room and parts of the old gym, where the old gym floor shows in the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    this project reminds me a lot of a complex my brother in law had a hand in up in Wichita

http://www.flats324.com/

Renovated the old Wichita High School. A couple of the units available are the boiler room and parts of the old gym, where the old gym floor shows in the unit.
    That's a really cool project. How long has it been open? I pretty much looked at all the core living spots when I moved to Wichita. I ended up living on the 25th floor of 250 Douglas. It was such an incredible place to live. Overlooked the Arkansas River and you could see for forever. Incredible deal too.

The pictures don't do it justice. If you have the time you stop see it in person.

4. Default Re: Page Woodson School

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    That's a really cool project. How long has it been open? I pretty much looked at all the core living spots when I moved to Wichita. I ended up living on the 25th floor of 250 Douglas. It was such an incredible place to live. Overlooked the Arkansas River and you could see for forever. Incredible deal too.
    Oh man, not to bring down the convo but that's only a floor below where this happened in 1976: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article94921102.html

I was an 8 year old kid and I was with my mom and some family/church friends in Riverside Park when the cops came by and told us to take cover and/or go home because we were close enough to be at risk. A friend of my dad's was killed in the spree.

Great pics, Pete.

That stage looks like a great place for Marvin Berry to check out that new sound that his cousin has been looking for.

Love the history of this building.

They are getting ready to start on the next phase of the apartments to the north.

I'd live here. Hopefully the streetcar eveloves into the old jfk neighborhood on the old adventure line. Reviving the adventure line is paramount because we have the ASA softball hall of fame and the WCWS yearly, we have tinseltown, the zoo, the science museum, and remington; there is so much to do in that area and it could serve great use on the eastside.

Spent a bunch of time touring the property and apartments.

There are actually 3 separate groups of apartments:

The Douglass (old school) and The Douglass Next Door (new construction to the south). Both of these are dedicated for lower incomes and a studio is $645, 1-bed is $685 and 2-bed is $820. Income maximums are $40K for 1 person, $45K for 2 plus slight higher amounts for larger families. In the old school, some of the units have the original chalk boards and there is a central laundry room. Next Door has laundry hook-ups in each unit.

Seven at Page Woodson is the new construction to the north; the 7 gray free-standing buildings that will have a coffee shop on the corner. These are market rate units and thus rent is slightly higher. There are 1-, 2- and 4-bed apartments. The next phase will bring 8 more buildings of similar architecture directly to the west.

All the apartments have control access. In the case of the old school, the main office and auditorium (for public use and events) are accessed through the south entrance but then there is another set of doors requiring a code before getting to the rental units.

All of these properties are within the John Rex district.

9. Default Re: Page Woodson School

^^^^^^^
    It's truly incredible. Also, some of the apartments in the old school feature some of the best skyline views in the city.

10. Default Re: Page Woodson School

Quick edit. The Entrance for the Theather and Leasing Office is on the Southside of the building. The Northside is for the units only. The South entrance also has a small parking lot and is obvious considering the tall theater walls.

I moved in about a month ago and have been really happy with the place. Especially with my views of downtown. I am single and just made it below the required maximum income. However, the qualifications are going to make it hard for a couple to move in. Most couples I know are barely above the maximum and are not aloud to live here. The 7 will be at a rate that is similar to Deep Deuce prices. It seems those same couples who can afford the Douglass won't be able to afford the 7. Not sure how that makes sense for this development. It seems the Douglass is having a hard time finding eligible renters right now. I have a few neighbors, but it is very quiet and as you can see by your photos, my car is the only one on the West side of the building.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7704.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	14075

Thanks, made the correction to my post.

It seems there are tons of people that would qualify, especially because I think the income caps are on adjusted income.

I think it's just a matter of people finding this place and understanding how affordable it is, which is one of the reasons I took another pass and made sure to post all the leasing info.

It's an absolute gem and really, access to downtown and everything in the core is pretty easy.

12. Default Re: Page Woodson School

I feel very lucky to have qualified. I absolutely recommend this place to anyone who doesn't make a high income per year. Especially local artists and creatives, it is an inspiring place. I would say to call first and make sure of all the required information you will need before signing an application.

Most people don't realize it's there.

And you can walk straight down 4th and be in the heart of Deep Deuce in less than a mile.

14. Default Re: Page Woodson School

Sounds like a marketing problem. Most of the people who can qualify to live there are online. Maybe try a Facebook ad. It will definitely be more effective than a giant "We're Open" sign on the front lawn. I would say you just gave them the best marketing for this place for free! Thanks for highlighting it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Sounds like a marketing problem. Most of the people who can qualify to live there are online. Maybe try a Facebook ad. It will definitely be more effective than a giant "We're Open" sign on the front lawn. I would say you just gave them the best marketing for this place for free! Thanks for highlighting it!!!
    Yes, everyone complains about a lack of affordable apartments in the core and here you have this tremendous project that is a steal if you qualify.

I would think there are plenty of people who could meet the guidelines since it's for adjusted income, not gross.

I really like this place. Can you only get the skyline views from the 3rd floor?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_on_mines View Post
    I really like this place. Can you only get the skyline views from the 3rd floor?
    No, pretty much every room facing west.

The building sits on top of a small hill and at least for now, there is nothing to the immediate west.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, everyone complains about a lack of affordable apartments in the core and here you have this tremendous project that is a steal if you qualify.

I would think there are plenty of people who could meet the guidelines since it's for adjusted income, not gross.
    Its for gross income and the maximum to qualify for 1 person is 28,320, for 2 people the max is 32,340.
    For 4 people in one unit the max is 40,380 and 4 is the limit on the number of people for the 2 bedrooms.

I stopped by for their open house they held this afternoon and they said there are around 30 units occupied in the 2 combined buildings, I believe it was a total of 124 or 128 total units.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, pretty much every room facing west.

The building sits on top of a small hill and at least for now, there is nothing to the immediate west.
    Nice! Thanks Pete.

Very cool looking project, haven't popped in this thread in awhile, glad I did.

such a neat project!

23. Default Re: Page Woodson School

Good grief based on car count it looks like there are still very few people living in the historic school building. Hopefully the word gets out; it is really pretty incredible what they have done and the prices are similarly great.

24. Default Re: Page Woodson School

I think the main reason it looks so vacant, a lot of those planning to move in have to go through a longer process than usual. Also, some have to finish their lease out from their current location. There are some people that will likely not own a car either. The bus stop is close by and makes for easy access to downtown hub. Most of the west side of the building has been reserved and people are just waiting for final approval or to end their old leases.

Thread Information