Widgets Magazine

Thread: Brainstorming: What sports & improvements would you like to see come Oklahoma?

Blog Entries

Default Brainstorming: What sports & improvements would you like to see come Oklahoma?

Just want to get some information on what's out there and what might work in Oklahoma City. This includes all sports and all facilities. Yes, brainstorming is the process:

Brainstorming is a group or individual creativity technique by which efforts are made to find a conclusion for a specific problem by gathering a list of ideas spontaneously contributed by its member(s). The term was popularized by Alex Faickney Osborn in the 1953 book Applied Imagination. Osborn claimed that brainstorming was more effective than individuals working alone in generating ideas, although more recent research has questioned this conclusion.--Wikipedia

Default Re: Brainstorming: What sports & improvements would you like to see come Oklahoma?

I really do think soccer should be the next focus. If a good plan is in place you can attract MLS. For years everyone has talked about St. Louis being a great soccer city, but there is zero money and no ownership group willing to step up, and they've been passed.

I drive by the Co-op site every day for work and look at it and think it could be a sweet place for a soccer stadium, but I'm not sure it's big enough. If not there, out by the race track would be best.

Default Re: Brainstorming: What sports & improvements would you like to see come Oklahoma?

Like all good hearted patriotic Americans on the VIP list for heaven I totally despise soccer but as much as it pains me to say it is the most logical choice. and that just pisses me off.

Blog Entries

How about a fishing and pedestrian bridge crossing?

Would like to see something done with the old train tresle crossing just west of Exchange Avenue Brige at south 11th Street. This area is abandon and the train doesn't cross there anymore.

I like what Tulsa did with one of its tresle bridges. I've fished off this bridge and area whenever I'm in T-town.

Arkansas River Pedestrian Bridge, Tulsa, Oklahoma | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Something like this could be developed under $5 million. It would make a nice fish port and spruce up the area for future development.

Anyone aware of any current plans to demolish this old tresle? You can cross it from the old bike park near Western.

I'd like to see a velodrome. Bike racing on a sloped wood track.
    That could be a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Silliman View Post
    I'd like to see a velodrome. Bike racing on a sloped wood track.
    That could be a draw.
    It'd be cool if they built one near the boathouses. With the whitewater park and the mountain bike track going in, a velodrome would be a nice addition (and I hate cyclists lol).

It'd be cool if the whole boathouse area would turn into OKC's own little Olympic area.

There are a variety of niche sports that OKC could support if it built the facilities. This is exactly what has happened with the Boathouse District. If anything, I'd say it would be smart to build off of the momentum on the river. But maybe (and I'm hust throwing out a random niche sport) if MAPs 4 included a world class tennis facility and stadium, OKC could draw a big tennis tournament.

The best fit for Oklahoma would probably be a MLS team in Tulsa. They have the population to support it and I think there'd be a real excitement. Soccer fans are diehard so a bunch of OKC people would likely support the team as well.

8. Default Re: Brainstorming: What sports & improvements would you like to see come Oklahoma?

I'm excited about the prospect of a Soccer team coming to OKC. When ever I am driving around I'm looking for a spot to put an arena. Tulsa would be a good place for soccer too, NBC released their ratings for the opening weekend of the Premier League and Tulsa was in the number 2 spot for tv's tuned in I guess.

I would like to see a quality 1/4 mile or 1/3 mile dirt track for auto racing.

I like the idea of the soccer stadium bring some version of minor league soccer (hopefully, soon to be major league soccer) to OKC:
    http://www.okctalk.com/sports/34546-...um-coming.html
    and I still like the green velodrome concept by the river:
    http://www.okctalk.com/current-event...d-student.html

I like the idea of OKC taking a brief pause on improving the sports scene and beginning to seriously make an effort to improve the Arts in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I like the idea of OKC taking a brief pause on improving the sports scene and beginning to seriously make an effort to improve the Arts in this city.
    It's not an either/or situation. Both can be done at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    It's not an either/or situation. Both can be done at the same time.
    Sure...but as long as that is being done at like 95/5 rate so that the Arts can get to like 5% of the recognition and appreciation sports get, that would be great.

Blog Entries

Here are some images of some velodromes which appear that these facilities can be used for multiple uses:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Velo...w=1920&bih=809

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Sure...but as long as that is being done at like 95/5 rate so that the Arts can get to like 5% of the recognition and appreciation sports get, that would be great.
    even in cities in the US with huge arts support, the support for sports is much much larger (unless you want to throw out somewhere like Santa Fe)

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    even in cities in the US with huge arts support, the support for sports is much much larger (unless you want to throw out somewhere like Santa Fe)
    While that is true, it's even worse here. I'm not advocating that we flip the two on their head such that people know the name of every museum curator and every principal in the orchestra and barely know the name of Kevin Durant...but some community arts centers, more museums, an opera house, etc. would be nice at some point...preferably before we drop another $100M+ on a new stadium.

This is going to sound a lil asinine but...I think one of the OKC land fills could be converted into a winter wonderland ski area. They are big enough to accommodate this feature and many land fills have been turned into other beneficial use areas like golf courses and parks. Just a thought no matter how crazy...lol.

It'd be cool if they built one near the boathouses. With the whitewater park and the mountain bike track going in, a velodrome would be a nice addition (and I hate cyclists lol).

It'd be cool if the whole boathouse area would turn into OKC's own little Olympic area.
    All the more reason for my 6' 5" frame to get out on the road and not ride on the shoulder but to take the whole lane.

I live near Lake Hefner, and I'll say I encounter for the most part many cyclists who share the road well, move to the white line to let traffic over, etc.

It's usually the jabronis whose midlife crisis involved spending $5k on a bike and trying to look like they are in the TDF who pedal like grandma and are oblivious to traffic stacking up behind them.

Blog Entries

The City of Oklahoma City could certainly build a few more skate parks in existing parks where we have one in each quardrant. Lake Hefner, Adventure District & possibly another area where there is family growth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=okla...w=1920&bih=809

I'd like to see a Curling venu put in somewhere. Maybe in the basement of one of the old buildings along the canal.

I live near Lake Hefner, and I'll say I encounter for the most part many cyclists who share the road well, move to the white line to let traffic over, etc.

It's usually the jabronis whose midlife crisis involved spending $5k on a bike and trying to look like they are in the TDF who pedal like grandma and are oblivious to traffic stacking up behind them.
    I aim for bikes that start at $700 so we cool lol

Thread Information