Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Default The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

I wonder if OKC is developing the image of becoming the burger capital of the US. It would be great to be a city known for its hamburgers. We have a lot of local burger establishments that are really good, with more popping up everyday. As Memphis is known for its bbq, Philadelphia for its philly cheese steak sandwiches, Chicago for its pizza, and New Orleans for its cajun food, I wonder if OKC can be known for its burgers, that would be pretty cool.

We recently had an IT group from the University of Indiana at my job for training this summer, they had never been to OKC. The whole time they were here, they raved about all the burger establishments and how good they were. They said the best burger they had was at The Garage, and it was the best burger that they ever had!

One thing about OKC, you don't have to drive too far to find a good burger.

Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Absolutely! My wife and I always say the same thing. We always end up taking out of town family and friends to a local burger joint and they always rave about them.

I'm gonna say the Salt Lake City area is burger capital. How can you deny a burger that's topped with pastrami and/or knockwurst not to mention the region has its own fry sauce.

G Walker, you may be on to something. I never really thought about it, but we do have some pretty good burger places. It probably helps that the cows are slaughtered down the road, makes for very fresh meat LOL. My family that comes up from TX and MS love the burgers here. A visit to Tuckers, Nics or anywhere that serves a Theta burger is always requested when they are here.

5. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    G Walker, you may be on to something. I never really thought about it, but we do have some pretty good burger places. It probably helps that the cows are slaughtered down the road, makes for very fresh meat LOL. My family that comes up from TX and MS love the burgers here. A visit to Tuckers, Nics or anywhere that serves a Theta burger is always requested when they are here.
    I don't think we still have any slaughterhouses in Oklahoma City. We do have a lot of good burgers though..... And for the most part they are just that.... Good burgers.

The Garage and S&B are doing the more creative burger options these days but for just a straight up burger with cheese and onions I'll put Oklahoma City up against any other city and in my opinion if you have to add a lot of extras to make your burger good then you're not making a good burger. You're making a sandwich.

Prunepicker Guest

I found this site to be very interesting.

The Cheeseburger Society

Tucker's
    Irma's
    Abraham's
    S&B's

are some good one's just off the top of my head...

Patty Wagon
    Nic's
    Flatire
    The Garage
    Johnnie's
    VZD's
    Bricktown Burgers

Is Big Ed's on Penn still around?

I've eaten so many burgers in my lifetime that I've recently gotten tired of eating burgers and try to look for something different on the menu. Alas, I still eat burgers. I do agree that OKC could easily be a hamburger capital of the world.

10. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Is Big Ed's on Penn still around?
    Yep

Prunepicker Guest

Has anybody eaten at Bunny's? Just south of N.W. 50th and on
    N. Meridian, east side. I've liked it for years.

I used to eat at Bunny's a lot. I have not been there in about two years because the last time I was there it took 45 minutes to get my food and it was not as good as it used to be when Bunny Biggers and her family ran the place. I usually went on Saturday which was part of the problem the last time I was there. There was a different group of people working there than had been there for years and the place was packed. I would think it is probably still good when it is not so crowded. I have been going to Fat Elvus Diner in Yukon the past couple of years on Saturdays. The food is similiar to Bunnys and the El Reno places. I know all about the owners past problems. That is one of the reasons I go there. I respect someone who does not give up when they encounter adversity or make mistakes in life. Darrin does not hide from his past problems, he even has a picture of his mugshot on the wall. He has been advertising on the 99.7 Oldies channel lately and it is bringing in some business he lost from his past problems.

I like all of the El Reno style onion burger places. I live close to Bunny's and Fat Elvus so those are the ones I have been to the most. Johnny's is my favorite in El Reno. I like onion burgers.

Bigray in Ok

Prunepicker,
    I was eating at Joe's at N. W. 50th and Meridian for several years before he retired and Bunny bought it. She was a cook there and I don't think anything changed when she took over. I'm not a burger connoisseur but I really liked their onion fried burgers. I'm not a big fan of Earl's but I have to admit that their cheddar burger is pretty good. I don't know where I would rank it, but it is much better than average.
    C. T.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    I'm not a big fan of Earl's but I have to admit that their cheddar
    burger is pretty good. I don't know where I would rank it, but it is
    much better than average.
    C. T.
    I've heard more positive reviews of Earl's hamburgers than the bbq.

15. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

I've been to Earl's 3 or 4 times and only had Q once. Had the burger the other times. It is that good.

If i drive over to Nic's one more time and see a closed sign in the window I am going to boycott him for the rest of my life!

17. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    If i drive over to Nic's one more time and see a closed sign in the window I am going to boycott him for the rest of my life!
    That sounds like a great idea! One less person to get in line in front of me.

what time are you driving by?

Prunepicker Guest

Nic's is open from 7am until 2pm.

20. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Nic's is open from 7am until 2pm.
    That 7 AM open is pretty hit and miss these days. I don't know about after 8 AM but breakfast is more miss than hit before 8 AM.

It is a pretty good breakfast when you can catch him open.

I've been going there forever so i know the routine pretty well, Its gotten pretty bad in the last 6 months hope hes not burning out

22. Default Re: The Burger Capital of US, OKC?

I've been going there forever so i know the routine pretty well, Its gotten pretty bad in the last 6 months hope hes not burning out
    I know he's had some health issues

This OKC Burger Capital is a Great Idea!!

A few unique places to get a Burger are H&H gun range and Big Truck tacos.

When gun ranges and taco stands are selling burgers it speaks for being a Big League Burger Capital!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I've been to Earl's 3 or 4 times and only had Q once. Had the burger the other times. It is that good.
    I'll have to try the burger. The BBQ is very underwhelming as far as BBQ goes.

Prunepicker Guest

I love burgers. Don't croak or gag but I like Burger King and Whataburger,
    too.

Has anybody tried the burgers at Charleston's? They are mighty
    tasty. Chili's has some good ones, too. So much for chains.

I like Tim's at N.W. 50th and N. MacArthur. Just plain good. I like
    the Caesar Burger at Johnnie's but it doesn't hold a candle to the
    one Dolores made at The Patio. The Patio burger was fried while
    Johnnie's is grilled. How it's cooked makes a world of difference. Not
    saying that grilled burgers are bad. Just an observation about the
    Caesar burger.

Has anyone tried Flat Tire Burgers in Bethany, OK?

Thread Information