Widgets Magazine

Thread: Tulsa Voting to Change the Name of Brady St.

Default Tulsa Voting to Change the Name of Brady St.

'TULSA, Oklahoma - After a lengthy public hearing, the Tulsa City Council were split right down the middle on whether to change the name of Brady Street, and so tabled the vote until next week.
    The street was named for Tate Brady, one of Tulsa's founders, but also a member of the Ku Klux Klan in the years just before the 1921 race riot.

When the hearing started at about 6:30 p.m. Thursday, 56 people signed up to speak and they were each given five minutes to make their cases.

There were people who argued the name shouldn't change, so the history wouldn't be erased and forgotten, while others argued that, while Tate Brady's name certainly belongs in the history books, it doesn't belong on the street signs.

"No one wants to honor a criminal or someone that has a questionable reputation. Or do they?" one speaker said. "So, why is it so difficult? Why are we asking for this change now?' - Tulsa City Council Tables Vote On Brady Street Name Change - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Here's the new article

'TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa City Council plans to vote Thursday evening at 6 p.m. on the possible name change for Brady Street.
    The ordinance they're considering would have the street become Burlington, reflecting the original name considered in 1907.

Documents on file at City Hall indicate when the streets were first named, "Burlington" was typed on the ordinance, then crossed out, and "Brady" was handwritten over it. Council staff believes it's possible the original name is a reference to Burlington, Kansas'

Read more here: Tulsa City Council To Vote On Brady Name Change Thursday - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Here is a link to the document from 1907 regarding the name- http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/griff...nance_1907.pdf

Default Re: Tulsa Voting to Change the Name of Brady St.

'TULSA, Oklahoma - The Tulsa city council tonight approved a name change for Brady Street, but it doesn't satisfy many of the people who wanted it changed, because the new name is also "Brady Street."
    The Brady Street signs will be changing, but only slightly.

The city council compromise on Brady Street is to both rename it and keep the Brady name. They'll do that by changing it from a name presumed to honor Tulsa founder Tate Brady and make it an honor for Civil War photographer Mathew B. Brady, who has no ties to Tulsa'

-Read more: City Council Approves Renaming Brady Street After Other Famous B - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Surely all this time and effort could have been spent on something else.

Just for the record, I think changing the name of this street is stupid. That's me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just for the record, I think changing the name of this street is stupid. That's me though.
    I mean, I can see where they are coming from wanting to change it, but I just think it was a waste of time.

They changed the name from "Brady" to "Brady?" Will they then replace all of the street signs?

It sounds like the real sign Tulsa is hanging on itself is "Kick Me."

I personally would have liked "Wayne Brady Street."

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I mean, I can see where they are coming from wanting to change it, but I just think it was a waste of time.
    I think it's over sensitive people who want to but into everything and take control of things.

Well, if I was black I would not want a part of the city named after someone who was known to be especially hateful and advocate violence towards my grandparents or great grandparents. I don't think it's whiny at all to want to address a part of history that affected people's families. What exactly to do is/was not an easy decision, but Tulsa has an ugly history of race relations (largest race riot in American history) and, being from there, there's still reconciliation that needs to take place to this day. W. Tate Brady was active in the race riots and I'm glad his name is being removed from that area. I hope there solution allows for Tulsans to honestly face their history and grow from these conversations.

Thread Information