Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: Walmart

Default Re: Walmart

They are raising their minimum wage to $11 / per hour and expanding employee benefits.

At the same time, they closed a bunch of Sam's Clubs -- none in OK:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...-stores-2018-1

Is it just me or is Walmart stepping up their quality game in terms of service?

I have noticed a stark increase in young, enthusiastic employees. I am not talking about teenagers fumbling around on cash registers, I am talking about low to mid 20-somethings with professional manners. An abundance of these employees wearing yellow vests with something like "How can I help you?" and stuff that were just directing people to open lanes, and helping customers in the 'scan & go' areas. This is across multiple locations and regions. Between the renovations to the inside of the stores and the workforce seemingly being overhauled - color me impressed.

I think the "uncoolness" of working @ Walmart is eroding.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Is it just me or is Walmart stepping up their quality game in terms of service?

I have noticed a stark increase in young, enthusiastic employees. I am not talking about teenagers fumbling around on cash registers, I am talking about low to mid 20-somethings with professional manners. An abundance of these employees wearing yellow vests with something like "How can I help you?" and stuff that were just directing people to open lanes, and helping customers in the 'scan & go' areas. This is across multiple locations and regions. Between the renovations to the inside of the stores and the workforce seemingly being overhauled - color me impressed.

I think the "uncoolness" of working @ Walmart is eroding.
    They seem to be getting quite a bit better than they used to be. I would always hate shopping at Wal-Mart (didn't matter if it was a neighborhood market or a Supercenter) because there was typically long lines and only a few people working the cash registers. That seems to have been getting better lately.

On a slightly different note regarding Wal Mart. I noticed a couple of months ago when I stopped in to buy a few groceries in the early evening that the Del City Wal Mart has significantly increased the number of SELF checkouts, while simultaneously decreasing the manned checkouts. It looks like they are down to two "20 items or less lanes" at each end, and the tobacco lane in the center. . .one or two others. But they only only had one manned lane open. I left the cart with the door greeter/loss control person and explained that I was not going to wait 20 minutes to check out with groceries because they would not open an extra lane. I have not been back and switched to buying groceries to Winco.

I understand times are changing, and it is much more economical for them to go to automated systems, but the problems with self check outs are too many. Those of us who qualify for "old codgers" still have an expectation of the cashier checking me out.

It is a brave new world.

I saw some Walmarts are now offering grocery delivery. They are gunning for Amazon. Gotta love free marketplace competition.

I used to loathe self checkout, but it turns out I just hated the crappy execution of the idea. When Target added their self checkout counter I was thinking “Et tu, Scopi”, but after a few times using it I realized that I almost never got any kind of error message there. No “bag item now” message, no “unexpected item in bagging area” message, you can run your stuff over that scanner as fast as you want and it put your stuff in bags, back in your cart, your own baskets, Target doesn’t care. It scans and scans and then spits out your total. I still hate every time I have to use those machines at Walmart, but I look for them at Target and use them at least 75% of the times I’m there.

7. Default Re: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I used to loathe self checkout, but it turns out I just hated the crappy execution of the idea. When Target added their self checkout counter I was thinking “Et tu, Scopi”, but after a few times using it I realized that I almost never got any kind of error message there. No “bag item now” message, no “unexpected item in bagging area” message, you can run your stuff over that scanner as fast as you want and it put your stuff in bags, back in your cart, your own baskets, Target doesn’t care. It scans and scans and then spits out your total. I still hate every time I have to use those machines at Walmart, but I look for them at Target and use them at least 75% of the times I’m there.
    Beware of Homeland's self-checkouts - slow and stupid like you describe above. I'll use anybody else's (not Walmart's since we don't shop there), but not Homeland's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Beware of Homeland's self-checkouts - slow and stupid like you describe above. I'll use anybody else's (not Walmart's since we don't shop there), but not Homeland's.
    The “sensitivity” of the self checkouts is adjustable. We raised flack at the N Rockwell Homeland about the self checkout sensitivity. I don’t know if we were the reason but they adjusted it to a very acceptable level now.

9. Default Re: Walmart

^^^ We go there (Britton/May) infrequently enough so that it's not really a problem, we just don't use them there. But after the grand re-opening of the 18th/Classen store, we're going to try there to see if they have what we shop at Homeland for (some paper products our regular grocery store (Uptown) doesn't have), and if their self-checkouts are also slow and stupid, we'll see what they can do about them, thanks for the tip.

my $0.08 $99 calls looking pretty damn good this morning.

The online pickup 'building' that was on the NW Expy parking lot is being demolished. I think they started two weeks ago? At first I thought they were adding stuff to it, but it's definitely being torn down.

Remember first reading about it here two years ago, and am confused as to why they ever built it.
    Also confusing is Walmart's pickup system in general. Ever since they started grocery pickup, it has made things weird. A few months ago I went to get an online order shipped to store, and thought the pickup parking on the left side of the building was for ALL pickup orders. Thankfully an employee still brought out my online order, but they really need to make that clearer.

And since they are still not done with updating the store, the online order pickup system inside the store is a mess. They moved it to the front of the store, but the kiosk wasn't even plugged in, and the waiting area was dirty.

^

That was a test for that new out-parcel pickup module.

I'd heard the conveyor system was problematic and there were security issues so they decided not to go forward with the plan.

I give Walmart credit... They try all types of things and sometimes they just don't pan out.

@Pete Thanks for the info. And yes I completely agree, the Walmart of today is definitely improved from when I was growing up. Trying new things (thanks to stiff competition) makes consumers happier

Walmart has been that way for a long time. I worked there from 2000 - 2009 and the new programs were always rolled out to a handful of test stores before implemented company-wide. Some ideas worked well, and others not so much. Like computer-generated shift scheduling.

Didn't they try Scan n' Go for a while?

System is awesome at Sam's Club but much more problematic at WM with tons more traffic and items.

Thread Information