Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart

Default Re: Walmart

Of the 154 locations closing within the United States, two-thirds of them are all of their Walmart Express stores. Walmart Express stores were supposed to be comparable to (and compete with) small drugstores and discount retailers like Dollar General, selling the essentials and some fresh foods. These stores average around 15,000 sq. ft., significantly smaller than a regular Supercenter store. That leaves around 50 regular stores that they plan on closing, which honestly isn't many.

2. Default Re: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    Funny they talked about increasing their online presence. I think the WM online experience is the worst online shopping experience I've had. So they think they'll do well against Amazon? This is some kind of joke right?
    Ehhh, I don't share that opinion. Been an Amazon Prime member for years and I still often order from Walmart. I can use their app to see if an item is currently in stock locally and check the price. Also, I've found the site easy to navigate and order from. Best of all, twice now when I've ordered - the item I wanted apparently wasn't available, and they upgraded me at no charge. Most recently I ordered a new 5-gallon hot/cold water dispenser because our 8yr old one finally went out. I ordered a cheaper $89 one because it just sits in the laundry room. The inventory showed very low. Apparently they were out by the time they went to pull my order. They upgraded me to the almost $200 version for free!

Plus, I've used their new online grocery option a few times now. Works really well and means I don't go into the store!

I looked at a couple of the Oklahoma store closings. All are in really REALLY small towns. Several that I could tell couldn't have been there more than a couple of years and appeared to be the Express type stores. I doubt they had "put anyone out of business" in that short amount of time. Dollar General in particular really seems to be saturating that market as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Wal-Mart to shutter 269 stores, 154 of them in the US | www.fox23.com

Given their dominance here, I doubt many OKC stores will be affected, but still, this is good to see. I normally don't rejoice at stores closing, but Wal-Mart has done so much damage to the U.S. retail economy and has treated its workers so poorly that I enjoy seeing them get whats coming.
    I wouldn't be so happy. It doesn't matter if the company goes out of business tomorrow. They won. Look at how much money the company had and their stockholders. Not to mention the Walton's. Sad thing is, Sam Walton was actually a really decent person and would be sick to see what his company has become.

Here is the written list without all the map cwap. Walmart Continues Sharpened Focus on Portfolio Management

If I am reading that right, all of the closed stores in Oklahoma are the Walmart Express type.
    Walmart Express Date closed to public
    #3756: 124 E. Columbia St., Okemah, OK 1/28/2016
    #4633: 19250 E Hwy 66, Luther, OK 1/28/2016
    #2456: 2310 West Main, Prague, OK 1/28/2016
    #2462: 1600 West Hwy 66, Stroud, OK 1/28/2016
    #3766: 2324 Seran Drive, Wewoka, OK 1/28/2016
    #3767: 812 N Clarence Nash Blvd., Watonga, OK 1/28/2016

I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town.

I used to live out that way and after moving back into town, I've still kept in contact with friends that still live in the area. The deal with Walmart was no secret.

Seems to me that their protests are misdirected and should be aimed at the city leaders who green lighted the sale in the first place. Where were they when the property was being sold?. They should instead be asking their city council to make it right. And while they're at it, request a full accounting of where the funds from the sale were directed.

?Make things right,? local little league asks Walmart to rebuild lost field | KFOR.com

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Plus, I've used their new online grocery option a few times now. Works really well and means I don't go into the store!
    How does this work? I'm guessing you purchase and pay online, but how do they know when and where to bring it out to you? Is this option best used for small purchases as opposed to large grocery buys.

10. Default Re: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town...
    My dad grew up in Luther and played football on that field in the 50s, and baseball on the adjoining diamond. Glad to say that he's still kicking and in good health, but I will say that a little piece of ME died on an afternoon Route 66 ride over the summer when I saw that the field was gone. Ever since I was a little kid, whenever I would go by that field would imagine him out there kicking butt, as most sons want to believe that their dads did when they themselves were boys.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    So I thought I'd try that yesterday. I created an account, shopped and got my cart all loaded with the expectation that I would be able to pick it up about five hours later. When I went to book the time, the first time available was the next day at 6pm. I had no idea you had to give them at least 30 hours lead time. I emptied the cart and logged out. I had to go to the store and do it the old fashioned way. This could've been really cool but turned out to be way too inconvenient.

I noticed the Homeland at Britton & May offers this service but have no idea of the particulars.

They have parking spaces dedicate for it.

13. Default Re: Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Wal-Mart to shutter 269 stores, 154 of them in the US | www.fox23.com

Given their dominance here, I doubt many OKC stores will be affected, but still, this is good to see. I normally don't rejoice at stores closing, but Wal-Mart has done so much damage to the U.S. retail economy and has treated its workers so poorly that I enjoy seeing them get whats coming.
    I'm sure the families and children of all those who lost their jobs rejoice, too. In the current economy, other employers will be falling all over themselves to offer only the highest paying jobs. I'm sure that all of those employees were so miserable andhated their jobs so much that they rejoice in having their lives turned upside down. I'm also confident that if some of those stores that are closing are in smaller towns, there will be hundreds of individuals coming out of the woodwork to take their places. I know Wal Mart wasn't always the best neighbor, but neither were employees coming in droves to say what a horrible place it was to work. Sure, the media can always find someone. And with 100s of stores there may be a few bad managers, but for many low income people, it is their lifeblood and saves them $100s every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I noticed the Homeland at Britton & May offers this service but have no idea of the particulars.

They have parking spaces dedicate for it.
    From what I have seen, the Homeland ordering is mostly for things like party trays, bakery, specialty items, etc. I don't think it is for general grocery shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    From what I have seen, the Homeland ordering is mostly for things like party trays, bakery, specialty items, etc. I don't think it is for general grocery shopping.
    Oh yes it is, it's pretty handy for single moms with active kids... Put the order in and pick it up.and it's cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Oh yes it is, it's pretty handy for single moms with active kids... Put the order in and pick it up.and it's cheaper
    You're correct. I was looking at the wrong place on the ordering system on their website. I never use it though. Why would it be cheaper?

Here are the details about the Homeland system.

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/StorePol...rid=1A91105467

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You're correct. I was looking at the wrong place on the ordering system on their website. I never use it though. Why would it be cheaper?

Here are the details about the Homeland system.

http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/StorePol...rid=1A91105467
    I've gotta friend that has been using it a while and she said it's cheaper because she's not buying thing on impulse or the kids aren't throwing stuff in the basket... So cheaper in that sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I've gotta friend that has been using it a while and she said it's cheaper because she's not buying thing on impulse or the kids aren't throwing stuff in the basket... So cheaper in that sense...
    I see. That wouldn't help me then, because I go with a shopping list and rarely by anything on impulse. Also, when shopping for things like produce, meat, bakery items, or deli items, I don't want someone else picking those out for me.

Did we already know there was a Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the southwest corner of SW 134th and May?

Plans are out to bid.

Yes, there is also a new Braum's going in that same area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Did we already know there was a Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the southwest corner of SW 134th and May?

Plans are out to bid.
    Is that where the one is I sent you? I think that ones already under construction? I wonder why it posted again, the one in Stillwater also reposted.

Yes, that's the one you sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I see where the folks in Luther are pleading with Walmart to "bring back their field" in regards to the closing of the Walmart Express, that was built less than a year ago on land that was formerly home the Luther Schools football stadium, but was sold to Walmart after the completion of their new football stadium and high school on the other side of town.

I used to live out that way and after moving back into town, I've still kept in contact with friends that still live in the area. The deal with Walmart was no secret.

Seems to me that their protests are misdirected and should be aimed at the city leaders who green lighted the sale in the first place. Where were they when the property was being sold?. They should instead be asking their city council to make it right. And while they're at it, request a full accounting of where the funds from the sale were directed.

?Make things right,? local little league asks Walmart to rebuild lost field | KFOR.com
    With the proposed new (unwanted) "freeway" getting ready to cut through the unspoiled natural beauty of Eastern Oklahoma County, I wonder if Walmart pulled a boner in this case . . . oh: "pulled a boner" means "made a [marketing] mistake" not what some might have connoted. =~)

Default Re: Walmart SW 104th

From catch22:

25. Default Re: Walmart SW 104th

Pete I pass by this one and the one in S Norman every day (Live in Lex, work at MMAC) and the one in S norman looks like it is going to open in the next month or so. Today there was a bunch of cars parked in front which makes me think they are starting to stock shelves.

Thread Information