Widgets Magazine

Thread: 1970s restaurant off Portland across from Deaconness

Default 1970s restaurant off Portland across from Deaconness

Does anyone remember the restaurant that was a short ways off Portland? Behind those three towers office buildings and possibly overlooking a pond. Had a great salad bar. Prob around 1975-76.

Default Re: 1970s restaurant off Portland across from Deaconness

Quote Originally Posted by toojennifer View Post
    Does anyone remember the restaurant that was a short ways off Portland? Behind those three towers office buildings and possibly overlooking a pond. Had a great salad bar. Prob around 1975-76.
    Christopher's?

Oh wait. Christopher's was further south. Maybe you're thinking of Chandelaque? There's an apartment complex there now.

I have to check with my older sister. She went all the time and i remember going occasionally a few years later. It may have been Chandelaque though. Thanks i will ask her tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by toojennifer View Post
    Candlewood.

How do you do that, Pete? You have an amazing amount of info available to you and appear (at least as of now) to be benevolent. I hope we never have to ask you to open the pod bay doors. I may have to attend the Aug 14 get-together just to verify that you at least appear to be human.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    How do you do that, Pete? You have an amazing amount of info available to you and appear (at least as of now) to be benevolent. I hope we never have to ask you to open the pod bay doors. I may have to attend the Aug 14 get-together just to verify that you at least appear to be human.
    I have a great passion for OKC and am organized. I also love the good challenge of trying to figure something out.

Come on the 14th, meet me and others, and you'll even get free food, drinks and a delicious slice of pie! What could be more benevolent than that??

My sister said she thought it was indeed Chandelaque, with a big sigh of relief that she didn't have to try and remember the name any more! Now, I'm going to have to ask her about Candlewood - was that the restaurant it was [I]before[I] it was Chandelaque? The name/look are famliar.

Before Candlewood it was a theme restaurant called Buster T. Brown's.

That building was right on the little lake.

There is a senior center on that lake now called Candle Lake Senior Center.

i think chandelaque was the name of the apartments and candlewood was the name of the restaurant. -M

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getimage.jpg 
Views:	1057 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	4290  

^

Yes those apartments still go by that name.

I think the little pond is officially known as Candle Lake.

And on that same little pond -- on the eastern edge -- was Cabana Swim Club which closed sometime in the late 70's I believe:

http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-mem...swim-club.html

Here is an aerial from 1969:

Wow...it all sounded right until i heard buster t browns...the memory is going...lol. Still, I had in the back of my mind that it was a trendy sounding name like a lot of those restaurants back then like J.Isaac Grundy's (where i worked along with el zocalo) and Harry Bears...those kinds of restaurants.

I was a dishwasher at Candlewood Restaurant for about 2 weeks in 1972. I had my HS graduation dinner there in 1973.

I have lived in that apartment complex for the past 15 or so years...was born across the street at Deaconess. They have since expanded the apts since when that pic was taken, all the way to the ponds edge). Don't know if it is true, but was told "Chandelaque" was French for "Candle Lake"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Candlewood.

Just curious, was there any particular reason they were closed Monday or just personal choice?

Needed the rest after The church crowd for Lunch and Dinner. Monday's are usually slower.

18. Default Re: 1970s restaurant off Portland across from Deaconness

We were members of the Cabana when I was a kid in the late 60s. I remember going there some, and remember the great sloping lawn they had, but that's about it. We quit there and moved to Lakeview Country Club Later.

We were in our early married years when we'd go to Candlewood. A big deal that we heard about in the fancy restaurants was selecting your lobster from a tank in the restaurant. The first time we went to Candlewood, a small flock of ducks walked in front of us - we joked about selecting our own duck for dinner.

Thread Information