|
    |image=
    |
    [/template]
    Information & Latest News

Links

County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	4241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	4242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold4.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	4243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	454.1 KB 
ID:	4244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold6.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	416.9 KB 
ID:	4245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold7.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	504.1 KB 
ID:	4246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold8.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	4247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold9.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	527.7 KB 
ID:	4248  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold10.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	487.3 KB 
ID:	4249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filmexchangeold11.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	4250  

2. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn View Post
    I should get Bradley Wynn to chime in here about the Film Exchange Building since he's the Film Row historian. These topics always get derailed into "old buildings vs. new" though.
    RE The Film Exchange Building at 5th/Robinson - first the history, quoted from my book Oklahoma City Film Row:

As the popularity of filmmaking across the nation grew, so too did the need for venues and distribution of movies being made. By 1910, over one hundred Film Exchange distributors were operating in the United States. Exchanges were usually located near a railhead and would negotiate with film studios for the rights to a completed film production, and then distribute the product to nickelodeon venues. By 1928, nearly thirty exchanges were operating throughout Oklahoma City, starting with the Oklahoma Film Exchange Company in 1907, at 221 W. California Avenue, the year of statehood.
    In 1920, the Vitagraph Film Company constructed a Film Exchange building at the corner of Reno and Hudson, which housed the fledgling Fox Film Corporation and American distributor of silent British films, Robertson-Cole. This was followed by another Film Exchange building, constructed at SW 5th and Robinson for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Paramount Laskey, Universal, R.K.O. Pictures, Pathe, Vitagraph, Warner Brothers, and Fox Films.

The building on the corner of SW 5th and Robinson Avenue was the second of three known dedicated film exchange buildings erected in Oklahoma City from 1920 to 1926. The exchanges hosted here included Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Radio Keith Orpheum Distributing (R.K.O Pictures), Pathe Films, Producers Distributing, Fox Films, First National Pictures, Vitagraph Incorporated, and Warner Brothers. Film exchanges vacated the building by 1932 due to larger space needs, amenities, and consolidation of exchange offices along Film Row. The former exchange hosted other businesses that included Western Tire and Equipment Co. In July 1943, the upper floors were converted into housing units for thirteen families as a federal housing project, which included nine four room and four three room apartments. From 1968 to around 1984, the Oklahoma City Rescue Mission provided services from this location with the motto "soup, soap, and salvation." It remained vacant for many years until acquired by the Asset Group in Oklahoma City in 2009. A citywide revitalization of downtown called Project 180 and Maps 3, at the time of this writing, threatens to demolish the building. (Courtesy of the Oklahoma Historical Society.)

That said - when the Asset Group acquired the property, they approached the city for permits to do some serious ($$$) renovation to use the property as their corporate headquarters, where said offices would have brought in millions annually and along with that buku sales tax revenue. The city denied them the permits and told them they would never have them as they wanted the bldg razed for a future core to shore program. What a blow to the agency who wanted to use it and spent a great deal acquiring it. Now fast forward - I have been in this bldg and it is a SOLID structure with THICK walls and even THICKER floors. It is already open for rehab and build out and would make awesome upper residential spaces and lower retail/food spaces. EVERY core to shore plan has robinson still acting as a through street and this bldg NEVER interferes with any major aspect to a future park. At the most it could always serve a an asset to the area and provide immediate space for what I already mentioned. Can it be saved - that will be up to how big a fight the people will give it. Should it? Absolutely. It is also one of the last structures from a bygone era when that portion of Robinson was a bustle of activity. If this bldg were destroyed it would break my heart. If it can't be saved perhaps the lentil could be saved for a place on Film Row today. There ya have it - my two cents.

3. Default Re: Central Park

Original Film Exchange Building

International Harvester

StreetView is actally from last month.

Default Re: Central Park

I thought someone posted some additional history and noted the Film Exchange bldg at SW 5th and Robinson was the third such exchange location in OKC (but apparently the oldest one still standing.) All the same, I'd like to see it last and be repurposed, but mainly because it would help block the view of the substation across the way.

The Film Exchange bldg looks like a good place to stage events......
    Last edited by ABryant; 07-23-2013 at 06:28 AM. Reason: linked to the other film exchange

It's a great looking building. Maybe we should get a group of people to go to the next Park Committee meeting and tell them they need to alter the designs of the (at this point very generic) park in order to incorporate these two buildings on the edge?

7. Default Re: Central Park

I did a bunch of photos and video today. I'll share it all when it's ready. I don't see why they can't be incorporated. They are both along the street and next to each other.

Wow - motion to demolish old Film Exchange buildings presented by David Todd and approved.

9. Default Re: Central Park

Well, then, they'll be substantially down by the end of the week if they are smart. Well, actually they would be worked into the site plan if they were smart.

But according to several subcommittee members there are significant structural issues with each of them. Unfortunate outcome but sounds like the right decision. No one was celebrating the demo.

11. Default Re: Central Park

I'll be busy tonight to finish the photos but it seems like a moot point now though.

12. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    Wow - motion to demolish old Film Exchange buildings presented by David Todd and approved.
    smh.

13. Default Re: Central Park

I know for a fact that Asset, a crisis salvage recovery construction company, bought these buildings, filed a permit to renovate them into offices, and the permit was spiked by the city. That was three years ago, and Asset was quite comfortable with being able to preserve the properties.

^^^
    Which would indicate that it was the City's intention all along to have them scrapped.

15. Default Re: Central Park

That doesn't sound surprising does it? (I know the answer to that one)

16. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    ^^^
    Which would indicate that it was the City's intention all along to have them scrapped.
    Yes.

Steve - good to see you on here.

It's pretty sad that you have a building on the edge of the property someone can renovate and turn into usuable office space and since it is in the way, it is going to be torn down instead of worked into the layout. On the other hand, you have a clean slate in the Myriad Gardens and you add a building with no tenant in mind and no permanent tenant three years later. What's wrong with this picture?

19. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDave View Post
    But according to several subcommittee members there are significant structural issues with each of them. Unfortunate outcome but sounds like the right decision. No one was celebrating the demo.
    Structural issues with the Film Exchange? HARDLY. It may look like crap but will take a force to demolish. The floors are VERY thick, along with its walls. That building could easily be re-purposed, as the original owners intended but were denied by the city way back when for Core to Shore. Ridiculous. Here is a repost of what I entioned earlier. You can also see more about it on our FBook page under Oklahoma City Film Exchange.

RE The Film Exchange Building at 5th/Robinson - first the history, quoted from my book Oklahoma City Film Row:

As the popularity of filmmaking across the nation grew, so too did the need for venues and distribution of movies being made. By 1910, over one hundred Film Exchange distributors were operating in the United States. Exchanges were usually located near a rail head and would negotiate with film studios for the rights to a completed film production, and then distribute the product to nickelodeon venues. By 1928, nearly thirty exchanges were operating throughout Oklahoma City, starting with the Oklahoma Film Exchange Company in 1907, at 221 W. California Avenue, the year of statehood.

In 1920, the Vitagraph Film Company constructed a Film Exchange building at the corner of Reno and Hudson, which housed the fledgling Fox Film Corporation and American distributor of silent British films, Robertson-Cole. This was followed by another Film Exchange building, constructed at SW 5th and Robinson for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Paramount Laskey, Universal, R.K.O. Pictures, Pathe, Vitagraph, Warner Brothers, and Fox Films.

The building on the corner of SW 5th and Robinson Avenue was the second of three known dedicated film exchange buildings erected in Oklahoma City from 1920 to 1926. The exchanges hosted here included Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Radio Keith Orpheum Distributing (R.K.O Pictures), Pathe Films, Producers Distributing, Fox Films, First National Pictures, Vitagraph Incorporated, and Warner Brothers. Film exchanges vacated the building by 1932 due to larger space needs, amenities, and consolidation of exchange offices along Film Row. The former exchange hosted other businesses that included Western Tire and Equipment Co. In July 1943, the upper floors were converted into housing units for thirteen families as a federal housing project, which included nine four room and four three room apartments. From 1968 to around 1984, the Oklahoma City Rescue Mission provided services from this location with the motto "soup, soap, and salvation." It remained vacant for many years until acquired by the Asset Group in Oklahoma City in 2009. A citywide revitalization of downtown called Project 180 and Maps 3, at the time of this writing, threatens to demolish the building. (Courtesy of the Oklahoma Historical Society.)

That said - when the Asset Group acquired the property, they approached the city for permits to do some serious ($$$) renovation to use the property as their corporate headquarters, where said offices would have brought in millions annually and along with that buku sales tax revenue. The city denied them the permits and told them they would never have them as they wanted the bldg razed for a future core to shore program. What a blow to the agency who wanted to use it and spent a great deal acquiring it. Now fast forward - I have been in this bldg and it is a SOLID structure with THICK walls and even THICKER floors. It is already open for rehab and build out and would make awesome upper residential spaces and lower retail/food spaces. EVERY core to shore plan has robinson still acting as a through street and this bldg NEVER interferes with any major aspect to a future park. At the most it could always serve a an asset to the area and provide immediate space for what I already mentioned. Can it be saved - that will be up to how big a fight the people will give it. Should it? Absolutely. It is also one of the last structures from a bygone era when that portion of Robinson was a bustle of activity. If this bldg were destroyed it would break my heart. If it can't be saved perhaps the lentil could be saved for a place on Film Row today. There ya have it - my two cents.

UPDATE - why can't they keep something old with something new? Why always push to demolish - that portion of Robinson was once a BUSTLING portion of the city that has disappeared piece by piece over the decades. That Film Exchange could represent something lost - it needs to stay.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    +1

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I know for a fact that Asset, a crisis salvage recovery construction company, bought these buildings, filed a permit to renovate them into offices, and the permit was spiked by the city. That was three years ago, and Asset was quite comfortable with being able to preserve the properties.
    Yet another case illustrating we haven't learned to not demolish these assets.

22. Default Re: Central Park

I couldn't help myself and posted a copy of an email I just sent to Mayor Cornett. Who else can I send this to?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/oklah...52103914848709

23. Default Re: Central Park

Quote Originally Posted by NWOKCGuy View Post
    Only to correct some pretty blatant misinformation. I'm not becoming a regular again. Shipwreck is on target on the building's history.

24. Default Re: Central Park

Steve retweeted the link. I also feel I'm ten years too late having an interest in the city's past. One more building that will only exist in old black and white photos.

So the line about the City looking at what buildings could be saved etc was less than truthful when questions were raised during the Core to Shore process. It had already been determined. Sad.

Thread Information