Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Procure Proton Therapy Center

    I heard over the weekend that Procure was filing for bankruptcy. This is from someone knowledgeable of their finances and the industry, but who is not directly involved with Procure. Can anyone confirm?

    What was said is that proton therapy is more expensive yet no more effective than tradition forms of cancer therapies, and that insurance companies are increasingly refusing to pay for proton therapy. It has apparently reached a tipping point at Procure.

  2. Default Re: Procure Proton Therapy Center

    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I heard over the weekend that Procure was filing for bankruptcy. This is from someone knowledgeable of their finances and the industry, but who is not directly involved with Procure. Can anyone confirm?

    What was said is that proton therapy is more expensive yet no more effective than tradition forms of cancer therapies, and that insurance companies are increasingly refusing to pay for proton therapy. It has apparently reached a tipping point at Procure.
    Can't comment on the bankruptcy question, but when I was diagnosed with cancer (Stage 3 of the head and neck) I inquired about Proton Therapy and was told my chances of getting rid of the cancer would not increase and that the jury was still out on its effectiveness for my type of cancer. I do know my insurance would have provided for it - surprisingly, United Heath Care insurance (individual policy) was extremely easy to work with and authorized multiple PET scans, etc. when many other patient's insurance providers would not.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Procure Proton Therapy Center

    Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Can't comment on the bankruptcy question, but when I was diagnosed with cancer (Stage 3 of the head and neck) I inquired about Proton Therapy and was told my chances of getting rid of the cancer would not increase and that the jury was still out on its effectiveness for my type of cancer. I do know my insurance would have provided for it - surprisingly, United Heath Care insurance (individual policy) was extremely easy to work with and authorized multiple PET scans, etc. when many other patient's insurance providers would not.
    +1

    Insured by United Health Care as well; they took care of my cancer treatments (MRIs, PET scans etc., @Stephenson Cancer Center); they also pay my monthly YMCA membership fees to keep me atop of my health.

    Glad to hear from you Brian, hope you conquer cancer; let's not forget that I am forever grateful for the things you taught me in bartending school.

  4. Default Re: Procure Proton Therapy Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    +1

    Insured by United Health Care as well; they took care of my cancer treatments (MRIs, PET scans etc., @Stephenson Cancer Center); they also pay my monthly YMCA membership fees to keep me atop of my health.

    Glad to hear from you Brian, hope you conquer cancer; let's not forget that I am forever grateful for the things you taught me in bartending school.
    My doctor was like "there is no way your insurance company is going to approve 3 PET scans in a single year, we can't even get them to approve one for many of our patients" -- But, they did!

    I too went to Stephenson Cancer Center (35 radiation treatments and chemo). Finished in September. Get scanned every three months. All clear so far.

    I'm gonna have to call United about their gym membership reimbursement. Can't believe I didn't know about that!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Procure Proton Therapy Center

    Thank you (both) for sharing a very personal story as part of your response. May you continue to receive positive results.

  6. Default Re: Procure Proton Therapy Center

    Looks like the place is being sold before the end of the year. I can't read the details from the Oklahoman article because i dont pay for the service. So i dont know details.

    But i said before that i thought the commercial venture was a mistake and a market saturator knowing that OU's facility was going in at the same time. And was better armed to expand/update.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM
  2. Counsel | Norman: therapy/counseling on the southside!
    By OKCMallen in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
  3. Integrated Massage Therapy College
    By stoid in forum Businesses & Employers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
  4. Procure
    By bombermwc in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
  5. One Minute Physical Therapy Tips
    By ericbrowning in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO