Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Enable Midstream Partners

Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Well crap. Not the news I was hoping for. The consolidation continues.
    Seems as CNP really wanted out, they too quite the discount.

2. Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Field employees will transition to ET employees, I would expect the 500 in OKC get laid off or relocated to Dallas.
    The rich get richer.

If most the Enable HQ employees are moved or let go, it will add to the huge pile of lost O&G jobs in OKC in just the last 5 years or so.

Sandridge imploded, Devon has seen about 75% reductions, about the same or more for Chesapeake...

We've lost over 10,000 well-paid energy jobs during that time.

Gonna force OKC to diversify and find a new area to expand in beyond energy. The nascent aerospace industry is a good start, and hopefully Paycom's success can entice other tech and finance companies out here.

5. Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

It would be nice if all these tech companies didn't all want to congregate in the same dozen cities.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It would be nice if all these tech companies didn't all want to congregate in the same dozen cities.
    They congregate where there are very strong universities, something our state completely lacks.

Until we invest properly in education, we'll continue to land call centers and some Tinker-related stuff and not much else.

Have to throw your line where the fish are. Either that or pay well above industry standards to compensate for people living where they don't want to live, and protect them from leaving your company.

It would be nice if this state realized these tech companies and other high skill companies locate where the talent is or where there is a strong talent pipeline, and we simply don't have either because we don't invest appropriately in education.

^

And most tech start-ups come from college students and/or recent graduates.

It's zero coincidence that Oklahoma is almost completely on the sidelines when it comes to these lucrative jobs.

Blog Entries

We don't want those liberal elite educated people here in Oklahoma, do we?

Sorry. I just get so frustrated with the backwards attitude about education here and how it hamstrings financial progress in this state. What will it take to convince everyone that Oklahoma's future includes a skilled educated workforce and not just farmers, ranchers, and rig hands? How many businesses have to move south to get the attention at 23rd street?

11. Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They congregate where there are very strong universities, something our state completely lacks.

Until we invest properly in education, we'll continue to land call centers and some Tinker-related stuff and not much else.
    Those call centers aren’t a terrible investment if you can keep them leased up. It’s been tough lately.

As for OKC’s economy in general, seems like the weed business is picking up a decent amount of the slack. And not being full recreational likely has the benefit of keeping supply reasonably balanced with demand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    Those call centers aren’t a terrible investment if you can keep them leased up. It’s been tough lately.

As for OKC’s economy in general, seems like the weed business is picking up a decent amount of the slack. And not being full recreational likely has the benefit of keeping supply reasonably balanced with demand.
    So, if a single building owner is doing ok vs 1000 employees, that’s economic progress? Or the weed business that profits a few greatly is the cornerstone of economic development?

THIS kind of thinking is why we are stuck in a deep rut in OK.

13. Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, if a single building owner is doing ok vs 1000 employees, that’s economic progress? Or the weed business that profits a few greatly is the cornerstone of economic development?

That’s not at all what I said.
    Sad that you have to make everything political.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    That’s not at all what I said.
    Sad that you have to make everything political.
    Your point was about a single building owner investor doing okay vs our economy's devastating impact on the general population and their opportunities. You are also implying the weed business is a good alternative to a fundamentally healthy economy. These completely ignore what is going on in the real economy for real Oklahomans.

If that is political to you, than I probably know what your politics are.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post

I didn’t understand that either. Call centers and weed business are going to be picking up the slack of Enable?

Biggest mistake Oklahoma made was having two state university systems instead of one single flagship like Nebraska and Arkansas. It works in more populated states but not in Oklahoma.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Biggest mistake Oklahoma made was having two state university systems instead of one single flagship like Nebraska and Arkansas. It works in more populated states but not in Oklahoma.
    Yep. There are many universities in OK that need to either become more focused branch campuses or closed/rolled into OU and OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    And much more effectively in states like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri and Virginia... All with significantly more population than Oklahoma and all with significantly better flagship universities.

Is there any chance at all they stay located in OKC or they are certainly moving most employees to Dallas?

20. Default Re: Enable Midstream Partners

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Yep. There are many universities in OK that need to either become more focused branch campuses or closed/rolled into OU and OSU.
    I've thought a 3 school system should be designed. OU, OSU and college prep/Jr. College/Vo-tech trades. The schools would have transferrable credits and some campus overlap. Dorms would not be needed in many location and make great use of technology.

A lot of crapping on OU here, which has done an incredible job of maintaining university quality and reputation as the state slashed their budget. I can't speak for how things are going with the last couple presidents, but OU is not some failed project. The state needs to re-invest in it. Hopefully those trashing it here are also contacting state reps to increase education funding.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    A lot of crapping on OU here, which has done an incredible job of maintaining university quality and reputation as the state slashed their budget. I can't speak for how things are going with the last couple presidents, but OU is not some failed project. The state needs to re-invest in it. Hopefully those trashing it here are also contacting state reps to increase education funding.
    I was going to say. I'm ignorant about university systems and whether a single vs multi-school system is better, but I assume that the state continuously slashing education budgets/funding hasn't helped matters regardless of what the setup is.

HangryHippo Guest

I've thought a 3 school system should be designed. OU, OSU and college prep/Jr. College/Vo-tech trades. The schools would have transferrable credits and some campus overlap. Dorms would not be needed in many location and make great use of technology.
    Great idea. You could specialize campuses if the surrounding areas have a major industry (aviation near Tinker and in Tulsa as an example) and direct more resources to OU and OSU to help them level up.

I thought this was the Enable thread ?

For each ENBL share you own, you will get .8595 share of ET. Should consulate this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is there any chance at all they stay located in OKC or they are certainly moving most employees to Dallas?
    almost certainly moving them to Dallas given what they did with SemGroup. In the buyout with SemGroup part of the contract was they would maintain the Tulsa office, 90 days after the deal closed they relo'ed everyone to Dallas.

They're also hyping $100 million in "efficiencies", 500 OKC employees X $200,000= $100,000,000. A few will get relocated but most will get severance.

Thread Information